mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Rob thanks for all your hard work and for sharing it with us. I ordered the phone mount and console basket from you and took both with me to pick up my R1S in December. I've been living with both for over a month and I can't thank you enough for sharing your efforts with us.

My son received a 3D printer for Christmas and he's been printing all kinds of animals (and for some reason busts of Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson to sell to his friends), but today he's going to start printing Rivian stuff for me using a couple of rolls of PETG that I just ordered for him. I'm going to try your new left mount on the air vent (thanks for sharing) but I really think I want my phone between the two screens.

I'm going to have my son print this one for me -
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5631532

This was posted to thingverse by gnowway (sorry if gnowway has a post on this site that I didn't link to, I didn't see it in this thread or elsewhere). This looks like a version of Rob's original ball mount with a 2.25" offset. I know you've mentioned that doing so can create some structural issues which certainly makes sense, but I really want to find a way to get my phone a bit higher to provide more visibility above the steering wheel and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of wiggle (or mount failure now that I have an in-house printing source) to do so. Maybe if I like the mount location I could try to edit the design to provide a channel in the back where I could drop in a threaded rod and epoxy it in for strength.

I've also ordered the offset magsafe mount that you linked to on the left side mount post - I'll see how that does for me in this central location https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09R1G19K5?th=1

I'll post back any feedback.

Next steps for me might be going to the 2" ball and trying some of the RAM solutions that others have posted here.

If anyone else has a great solution please share. And thanks to Rob for all the continued efforts. (Picture of Rob's mount in action in snow mode up in the NC mountains a couple of weeks ago attached just for fun)

Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model 5738A9AC-C3BB-4C60-BAA8-CDCE8DE7E8CE
Sponsored

Z R1S

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, BMW X7
@RWerksman - I ended up ordering a 3.75" extension off of ebay. It mounts at about a 20? degree angle to the right, away from the steering column. The positioning is much better but the extra joint has introduced more movement than the original setup. Any chance you'd consider integrating this into your design? Check out the placement here. This keeps the phone visible above and to the right of the steering wheel and drive stalk. What do you think?

20221122_222534.jpg

20221122_222546.jpg
Can you share the ebay link to this extension? It appears to have 17mm ball mount attachments on both ends, which would work perfectly with my setup. Thanks!

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

beyond

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Occupation
The Cloud
Little surprised no one else has had this happen, but today i left the car in the sun for about an hour; it was only 85f here in northern VA. Came back to the car and the phone mount had melted and is no longer in its original form. :(

Guess I need to double think about getting 3d printed stuff. I cannot imagine how folks in actual hot areas keep it from melting..

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Little surprised no one else has had this happen, but today i left the car in the sun for about an hour; it was only 85f here in northern VA. Came back to the car and the phone mount had melted and is no longer in its original form. :(

Guess I need to double think about getting 3d printed stuff. I cannot imagine how folks in actual hot areas keep it from melting..
Hi Brad - Please us the contact us form on the site. I've seen this a few times and can confirm it was produced incorrectly. I'll replace it under warranty with an updated item made from an updated material.

beyond

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Occupation
The Cloud
Hi Brad - Please us the contact us form on the site. I've seen this a few times and can confirm it was produced incorrectly. I'll replace it under warranty with an updated item made from an updated material.
Awesome, glad to hear it was a production issue. Hitting you up on the contact us form. Thanks!!

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Awesome, glad to hear it was a production issue. Hitting you up on the contact us form. Thanks!!
Thanks, my dude. I've replied to your ticket and was able to link it up with an order number. Replacement will hopefully be packaged up tonight for shipment tomorrow.
Sponsored