Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hello my dudes!

Today I'd like to officially announce the second RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO - the 1 Inch Model. STL files have been posted for it and you can preorder it NOW at the same price as the 1" Cell Phone Ball Mount V2 - $14.50. Shipments will start the second week of November, about 4-5 days after the 17MM PRO model starts heading out the door.

Buy Link - https://riviparts.com/#phonepro

The 1" cell phone ball mount has also been on sale on RIVIPARTS for the last few months and is the slightly larger version of the mount Youtuber (@branden called part of, "The Best Rivian Phone Mount Available Today". This larger version needed to be more reworked than the 17MM model, but I think the gains are also greater:
  1. There is now a significant larger, slightly angled contact area with the rear of the infotainment screen. This results in a more secure fit with less wobble, especially when offroad - a bigger deal for the 1" model.
  2. The ball mount being moved upward and toward the center of the vehicle for less obstruction from the steering wheel. The is more pronounced on the 1" model as the prior design required it to be on the bottom of the mount, and now it's at the top! Like the 17MM model, it doesn't completely remove the obstruction, but does make it incrementally better.
  3. A 'flipped' design that put the support on the bottom of the mount to better hide rough edges due to it's removal.
  4. Similar enhanced ergonomics of the ball to allow phone holders to get a better, more secure grip.
  5. Tweaked design for faster, easier, printing. (despite more material in the design - this allows me to keep the same price)
  6. A reduction in inlayed branding. (no more MK or size labels, the naming is ever so slightly smaller, and nothing continues to be visible when installed)
A few photos of the prototypes, first with comparison to the smaller 17MM model:

Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model IMG_0943.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model IMG_0945.JPG

Now with comparison to the older 1" model:
Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model IMG_0947.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model IMG_0949.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model IMG_0950.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model IMG_0951.JPG

(the angle on this one is a bit weird as the top of the mount is facing the right of the photo. Left is the new version, mount now located at the top.)

Prior posted images are still valid here:
IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

Finally, one with all of the old and new parts together in one last family photo, newer versions in the center:

Rivian R1T R1S RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO 1 Inch Model IMG_0946.JPG

Like the smaller mount, I would classify these as an evolutionary upgrade to an already good product. I'm updating the naming of the product due to the change in visible appearance and better capability in more aggressive driving scenarios like racing or off-roading. A few additional notes in no particular order:
  • If you already have a 1" ball mount, and it's working great for you, there is no reason at all to upgrade. If you still want to upgrade, message me on RIVIPARTS and you can have the new version at half price.
  • If you have a 3D printer, I strongly encourage you to print your own. The links to the STL files are linked in my signature.
  • If you have a reasonably sized YouTube channel, Twitter or whatever that mentions Rivian message me and I'll send over a few things, including one of these. My hope is that stuff like this will help get more attention to the Rivian aftermarket in general, which benefits us all as owners.
As always - your feedback is very, very welcome. (good, bad, or otherwise) That's how this update was made, how the MagSafe Pad Replacement was developed, the Aux CupHolder was pushed into production, and how the Seatback Tablet Holder (BIG UPDATE ON THIS TOMORROW!) is being revised for an upcoming release.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
As soon as I get word my truck is on deck, yours will be one of the first websites I visit. Nice work as always!

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

This looks great! I bought one from you a little over a month ago, and it doesn’t fit like this at all? It’s very very loose, so much so that I don’t use it because my phone rotates down about 30° when I put it on… Do you think that my unit is faulty? Or my truck is a little different spec? Should I buy the new one?

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Hello my dudes!

Today I'd like to officially announce the second RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO - the 1 Inch Model. STL files have been posted for it and you can preorder it NOW at the same price as the 1" Cell Phone Ball Mount V2 - $14.50. Shipments will start the second week of November, about 4-5 days after the 17MM PRO model starts heading out the door.

Buy Link - https://riviparts.com/#phonepro

The 1" cell phone ball mount has also been on sale on RIVIPARTS for the last few months and is the slightly larger version of the mount Youtuber (@branden called part of, "The Best Rivian Phone Mount Available Today". This larger version needed to be more reworked than the 17MM model, but I think the gains are also greater:
  1. There is now a significant larger, slightly angled contact area with the rear of the infotainment screen. This results in a more secure fit with less wobble, especially when offroad - a bigger deal for the 1" model.
  2. The ball mount being moved upward and toward the center of the vehicle for less obstruction from the steering wheel. The is more pronounced on the 1" model as the prior design required it to be on the bottom of the mount, and now it's at the top! Like the 17MM model, it doesn't completely remove the obstruction, but does make it incrementally better.
  3. A 'flipped' design that put the support on the bottom of the mount to better hide rough edges due to it's removal.
  4. Similar enhanced ergonomics of the ball to allow phone holders to get a better, more secure grip.
  5. Tweaked design for faster, easier, printing. (despite more material in the design - this allows me to keep the same price)
  6. A reduction in inlayed branding. (no more MK or size labels, the naming is ever so slightly smaller, and nothing continues to be visible when installed)
A few photos of the prototypes, first with comparison to the smaller 17MM model:

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

Now with comparison to the older 1" model:
IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

(the angle on this one is a bit weird as the top of the mount is facing the right of the photo. Left is the new version, mount now located at the top.)

Prior posted images are still valid here:
IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

Finally, one with all of the old and new parts together in one last family photo, newer versions in the center:

IMG_0946.JPG

Like the smaller mount, I would classify these as an evolutionary upgrade to an already good product. I'm updating the naming of the product due to the change in visible appearance and better capability in more aggressive driving scenarios like racing or off-roading. A few additional notes in no particular order:
  • If you already have a 1" ball mount, and it's working great for you, there is no reason at all to upgrade. If you still want to upgrade, message me on RIVIPARTS and you can have the new version at half price.
  • If you have a 3D printer, I strongly encourage you to print your own. The links to the STL files are linked in my signature.
  • If you have a reasonably sized YouTube channel, Twitter or whatever that mentions Rivian message me and I'll send over a few things, including one of these. My hope is that stuff like this will help get more attention to the Rivian aftermarket in general, which benefits us all as owners.
As always - your feedback is very, very welcome. (good, bad, or otherwise) That's how this update was made, how the MagSafe Pad Replacement was developed, the Aux CupHolder was pushed into production, and how the Seatback Tablet Holder (BIG UPDATE ON THIS TOMORROW!) is being revised for an upcoming release.
You are doing a great service to the community through your efforts! Thank you!

I printed out your 17mm model and it works great! Since I’m new to printing, it took me a while to realize I needed to add “supports” (turn on that feature in Cura) for it to print successfully.

Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Anyone know what size the ball mount on this charger is and if it'll work? I want the wireless charging capability. Something you guys can do if one of the current sizes doesn't fit, @RWerksman?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Anyone know what size the ball mount on this charger is and if it'll work? I want the wireless charging capability. Something you guys can do if one of the current sizes doesn't fit, @RWerksman?
Did you forget a link here? I'm happy to look at it. :)

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I'd bet that's using a standard 17MM ball. I think I've seen a different branded version of basically the same thing on Amazon in my many sessions looking at the available options there.

Not 100% sure, more like 90ish%.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I'd bet that's using a standard 17MM ball. I think I've seen a different branded version of basically the same thing on Amazon in my many sessions looking at the available options there.

Not 100% sure, more like 90ish%.
Thanks. I've ordered the carmount. Should I buy the 17mm from you and hope? Or wait until I receive it from carmount and measure? And if it's not 17mm, are you interested in making a 3rd size? What do you recommend? Thanks!

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The design is clever. I'll have to dust off the old Creality and play with it. It looks like it challenges the printer to deal with the overhangs and gaps. I assume it's printed with bracing. I'm a novice, just taking things off thingiverse and reading the comments on settings and printing methods. I wonder if the programming could result in a more spherical ball. It seems to be printed X-Y linear. Did you try printing in a circular mode?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Thanks. I've ordered the carmount. Should I buy the 17mm from you and hope? Or wait until I receive it from carmount and measure? And if it's not 17mm, are you interested in making a 3rd size? What do you recommend? Thanks!
Depends on how risk adverse or impatient you are. I'd probably YOLO it thinking the worst I would be hurt is about $20. I don't want to create a third version of these, as there isn't really a market for anything that isn't 17MM or 1", but I'm happy to work with you in this instance for a one-off.

The design is clever. I'll have to dust off the old Creality and play with it. It looks like it challenges the printer to deal with the overhangs and gaps. I assume it's printed with bracing. I'm a novice, just taking things off thingiverse and reading the comments on settings and printing methods. I wonder if the programming could result in a more spherical ball. It seems to be printed X-Y linear. Did you try printing in a circular mode?
So, you'll need to print it with PETG, not PLA, as PLA deforms at a very low temperature. You'll also need some supports, but I've worked quite hard to eliminate those as much as possible / make them easy to remove.

Regarding the ball, you don't want a perfectly smooth one. Most of those that come out of the box with mounts have some sort of texture to increase grip. As texture is VERY hard to do on a 3D printed product, I've opted for a little geometry instead. After a bunch of testing, what you see is just about as optimal as I can get. Also, the ball mount in what I've provided is slightly over 17MM as I've seen a considerable amount of very small variation in the size of the 17MM "standard" too.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This looks great! I bought one from you a little over a month ago, and it doesn’t fit like this at all? It’s very very loose, so much so that I don’t use it because my phone rotates down about 30° when I put it on… Do you think that my unit is faulty? Or my truck is a little different spec? Should I buy the new one?
Same with one I bought. I had to use some VHB tape on the rear of the main screen to try and support it from flopping down.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Depends on how risk adverse or impatient you are. I'd probably YOLO it thinking the worst I would be hurt is about $20. I don't want to create a third version of these, as there isn't really a market for anything that isn't 17MM or 1", but I'm happy to work with you in this instance for a one-off.

So, you'll need to print it with PETG, not PLA, as PLA deforms at a very low temperature. You'll also need some supports, but I've worked quite hard to eliminate those as much as possible / make them easy to remove.

Regarding the ball, you don't want a perfectly smooth one. Most of those that come out of the box with mounts have some sort of texture to increase grip. As texture is VERY hard to do on a 3D printed product, I've opted for a little geometry instead. After a bunch of testing, what you see is just about as optimal as I can get. Also, the ball mount in what I've provided is slightly over 17MM as I've seen a considerable amount of very small variation in the size of the 17MM "standard" too.
Order placed. Thanks!

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Same with one I bought. I had to use some VHB tape on the rear of the main screen to try and support it from flopping down.
We've heard this from a few people, and the best that we can gather, there seems to be a bit of variation in build by Rivian. Most folks (95% plus) fit perfectly.

I've have heard from a few folks that it was a bit looser than hoped. In the past, I've recommended a bit of a felt which worked well. With this generation, I've angled the contact area on the mount 2.5 degrees to make the mount a bit more secure. I'm optimistic that this is improved to the point where it just works.

I do want to note that I've heard from exactly 3 people so far where the mount basically falls right out. These seem to have a significant variation in build. Initially, I thought it was a design change, but one person had VIN 44XX, one was 80XX and another was over 10XXX. I've also ruled out variation in the product too. For these folks, I have a special version of the mount that I hand print on demand and send out if the standard version doesn't work.

Long story short - if you're having issues, I want to hear about it. Contact me via the form on RIVIPARTS.com (please don't DM me here) and we'll get it solved.
Sponsored