Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hang on peeps, I got this:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian's Tank Turn feature is delayed 5mh6a5

:D

Seriously though, it was never more than a novelty. I'm still really eager for the truck ... despite this and the more useful items that have been dropped.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Hang on peeps, I got this:

5mh6a5.jpg

:D

Seriously though, it was never more than a novelty. I'm still really eager for the truck ... despite this and the more useful items that have been dropped.
I wonder if things like the 180 deg. tailgate and electrochromatic roof wonā€™t show up on later models. Canā€™t put ALL the cool stuff in the first MY, after all.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Given that we expect preorders to take a couple of years to satisfy, I wonder if many of us will be looking at later model years with these features as options (e.g. electrochromatic roof).

I don't really mind tank turn being delayed, I only really want to try it once as a novelty. But if many people are like me, then perhaps they're justified in delaying or cancelling it all together. That said, I could also see it being the kind of feature that once you have, you start finding uses for and eventually come to rely on. Like I've definitely been stuck in snow and the like before, and tank turn could be an interesting way of drilling out traction, freeing yourself from something, or just doing a 180 on a dirt road that you didn't expect to end. In that sense, maybe a safe and utilitarian implementation would be a good balance for Rivian (e.g. you can't do high speed donuts as seen in their promo video, but you can very slowly do a 180, or a back and forth wiggle to find traction, etc.).

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
No. Maybe 5% will go off road. 95% will see each other at the kids soccer games. All driving their $100,000 RT1ā€™s.
Though I admit the sheer number of people that will go off-road with a Rivian will indeed be the minority, I do not believe it will be that significantly low. I'd say closer to 20% will go off-roading, especially after seeing that TAT video. I, for one, am such an example. I never even considered going off-road in any vehicle. But I know, and am in connection with, a lot of people that do. Now, for the first time I'm seriously planning to take any car beaching, mudding, and looking at several off-road locations in my future due to it. Hell, I want to take a R1T into the Everglades to test its mettle there. And speaking on Florida's behalf, I bet you anything that most Rivian owners here in a R1T will be at least beaching it (and I mean actually sanding it, not park at a beach parking lot).

Btw, with all the aftermarket upgrades that people add onto their trucks and many high end Jeeps (if they can be considered that), they easily reach the $90+K range and go off-roading in them *very* frequently without even blinking.

Now the R1S? That I don't see being off-roaded as much, at least not as much as the R1Ts, but we'll still see them.

This is very bothersome, not the lack of tank turn- I live in the city, I would never use it. The fact that Rivian knew tank turn was not viable in its current form and failed to release this information, continued to deceive us into thinking this was a feature until a week or two before launch. This was not just something that sprung up on them unexpectedly. Iā€™m having a hard time trusting them as a company now.
It is somewhat bothersome. Out of all the features, this is an unnecessary one, but definitely a desired one. Aye, majority of the people will hardly ever use it, but will still be one heck of a feature factor when they do. I do not mind this being delayed at all as long as it's in the name of perfecting it down to the 'T'. But if they axe the project, I will be highly disappointed. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying we've been deceived, at least not yet.

Last edited:

Headingley

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
I agree its a novelty....but Rivian used this as a marketing feature that brought them a huge amount of recognition. This just adds to a growing and rather long line of features that were used to bring/bait people in....and then switched.....this one at the very last minute.

Many of the forum members here appear so excited about delivery that they could bait and switch other features and not lose the sale. IMHO this is fine, as everybody will makes their own choice on the value of the vehicle. But make no mistake...Rivian is not some magical/altruistic company that is beyond profit and this type of marketing.

Most people who end up purchasing these vehicles are not current pre-order holders. They will see, test drive, and evaluate this vehicle before making a value/purchase decision. I for one am a pre-order holder who must dampen my enthusiasm (which honestly is very high) so that I can make a good, informed decision.

Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
RJ mentioned that Tank Turn was delayed in that video with customers...but the MT article really puts some perspective on that feature. On a slope (slides downhill) would indeed be surprising, same with the different levels of traction among the wheels. I WOULD like to have the feature but...heck, I'd almost certainly NEVER use it. :)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I agree its a novelty....but Rivian used this as a marketing feature that brought them a huge amount of recognition.
Exactly. It has served its purpose. Putting it into production cars would only be a liability for Rivian both in terms of personal injury and property damage but mostly in the warranty claims it would generate.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I wonder what other features promised wonā€™t make it to production?

seems Elon was right. Production is hard.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Whether by accident or by design, Tank Turn is going to end up as the K Turn. Taking the same capability using quad motors to have wheels spinning in opposition to each other in a practical setting to rotate the nose of the vehicle is the logical conclusion of what started as the tank turn.

Tank Turn is really cool, K Turn is somewhat less cool and far more useful.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

No. Maybe 5% will go off road. 95% will see each other at the kids soccer games. All driving their $100,000 RT1ā€™s.
My initial thought to your 5% was to laugh, but I don't think it's too far off if we are strictly thinking those using them for the purpose of "off-road"

The high majority of owners will likely be using these for their daily commute, getting groceries, taking kids to school, going to the soccer game, etc. and not the constant adventuring that they are advertised for.
All fine things, but I think there will be times/seasons for many of these owners where the task performed in an R1T or R1S will be greatly enhanced by being in one of these vehicles.

In our area that means getting the kids from school during the winter when the roads have heavy drifting. Or getting through certain roads when we have heavy rains in the spring.
For others it may be about heading out onto the beach or going up to their favorite hiking trail when the back-road conditions are less than ideal.

None of these scenarios are what I would consider off-road or with the purpose of being off-road, but they would very much broaden the percentage of people that will still find great value and peace of mind being in one of these vehicles.

Yes, there are more cost effective options to handle many of these scenarios especially if we are talking ICE vehicles, but unfortunately not a lot/any BEVs.

Also, seeing the souped up trucks, suvs, and jeeps driven in my area blows my mind knowing how much is spent to do that.
Not surprisingly almost all of those souped up vehicles are never used for anything but highway and country roads and then they drive like idiots in the snow because they think they can :headbang:
Guess who always ends up in the ditch first? :CWL:

Actually probably a good time to say this, just because you are buying an R1T/R1S that performs awesome in adverse weather/road conditions, do not make the mistake in thinking that you are immune to those adverse conditions!
Don't be like souped-up Johnny who only knows how to drive like a dick.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
RJ mentioned that Tank Turn was delayed in that video with customers...but the MT article really puts some perspective on that feature. On a slope (slides downhill) would indeed be surprising, same with the different levels of traction among the wheels. I WOULD like to have the feature but...heck, I'd almost certainly NEVER use it. :)
I just want to see it as an option in the drive modes, shaded out, and says (Not yet enabled) I don't care if it actually works!

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I agree its a novelty....but Rivian used this as a marketing feature that brought them a huge amount of recognition. This just adds to a growing and rather long line of features that were used to bring/bait people in....and then switched.....this one at the very last minute.

Many of the forum members here appear so excited about delivery that they could bait and switch other features and not lose the sale. IMHO this is fine, as everybody will makes their own choice on the value of the vehicle. But make no mistake...Rivian is not some magical/altruistic company that is beyond profit and this type of marketing.
I am buying an R1T because I want an electric truck. If Rivian announced that LE trucks would now come equipped with an internal combustion engine, I would consider that a bait and switch.

There are a number of things that are not necessary for an electric truck, like tank turns, 180 tailgates, non-vegan leather seats, and apple car play.

I agree that everyone needs to make their own value judgment in the end, but we are close to getting the first electric truck delivered.

As far as tank turn is concerned, it is troubling that they promoted a feature in the marketing they didnā€™t ensure they could deliver. However, I always thought tank turn was just a gimmick to demonstrate the possibilities with quad-motor drive. The benefits of quad-motor drive (controlling traction and torque at each wheel) still exist, and will be quite incredible if the MT review can be believed.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Why does it matter how many people will take them offroad? We each get to choose what we want to do with our expensive vehicle. Not offroading doesn't make you any less or more than someone that does take it offroad.

I certainly don't look down on people with Defenders that treat them like mall crawlers. Everyone is entitled to spend their money however they want, and the judgement of trolls on this forum shouldn't matter one little bit.

For all of those out there that haven't done any offroading before but are planning to with a Rivian - don't be afraid. I take my stock Defender offroad/rock crawling all the time. It's really not a big deal and not that scary. Don't act stupid and you won't damage your vehicle.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Besides. Nobody is going to be doing tank turns in the Walmart parking lot. Which is where these trucks will driven to. And Home depot too. sorry forgot about that one.
You obviously have never been in a snowy state in the winter. Snow donuts/drifters happen all the time in parking lots. If you don't think Rivian owners are going to do tank turns to show the drifters a new trick, I've got a bridge to sell you.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Why does it matter how many people will take them offroad? We each get to choose what we want to do with our expensive vehicle. Not offroading doesn't make you any less or more than someone that does take it offroad.
You are 100% correct that people can choose and will do what they want with their Rivian. But you have to take into account that Rivian's demographic *are* those that go adventuring/off-roading. They're showing prominent features (gimmick or not) that are aimed towards that lifestyle. To promote a feature to then axe it is foul play. Again, I don't mind Tank Turning getting delayed as long as it's in the name of perfecting the program and algorithm. But if the project gets canned, Rivian is going to face some issues from backlash from customers that *want* this feature.
Sponsored