Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

This is a cool concept but probably near the bottom of my priority list.

I could see a way to make this somewhat useful while also reducing the danger/liability. Assuming that a 360-degree camera view is coming, it would be interesting if Tank Turn mode let you rotate the on-screen vehicle shown in 360 view to the desired orientation. As an example, if you want to bear right at a fork on a dirt, sand or gravel road, you enter Tank Turn mode, twist the vehicle so the front is pointing in the direction of the right fork and tap “Go!” or similar. (At this point a screen pops up making you acknowledge the imprecise nature of Tank Turn, the damage you can cause to environment, people, and/or property, Rivian’s complete lack of liability in perpetuity, etc.) Then the vehicle starts the rotation and stops when it reaches the desired orientation or if there is no vehicle rotational movement for some fraction of a second because the surface has too much friction, the vehicle is trapped against an obstacle, etc. Applying the brake pedal should also bring the wheels to an immediate stop as an override.

There could also be a demo mode which does a single 360-degree rotation and then stops. (After the disclaimer acknowledgement, of course.)

Even as a gimmick, I can’t see the value in continuously spinning the vehicle and I imagine that it would easily disorient the driver given the rotation speed required.
Sponsored