Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
" Gov. Brian Kemp called it the largest economic-development project in state history. "

That's about all you need to know. I sympathize with the locals, but they're fighting a virtually impossible battle, regardless of the platform they use.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Not that anyone wants a giant factory in their backyard, but I would much rather have a Rivian plant vs an Amazon distribution center or other annoying giant buildings it might be instead.

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
NIMBY!!!!

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...lant-sparks-fears-among-neighbors/9211266002/

We already know from our....visitors....that there is some local uproar about the plant.

I do wonder how much pushback there would be if it was Ford or GM building this facility instead of Rivian.
That's an interesting question. I'm sure some would feel a little better about it because they would feel more confident that Ford or GM would be there "forever". If anybody would feel better about the environmental impact, then they're incredibly naive.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Not that anyone wants a giant factory in their backyard, but I would much rather have a Rivian plant vs an Amazon distribution center or other annoying giant buildings it might be instead.
Why? Lithium is really nasty stuff and car plants cause all sorts of problems. An Amazon distribution center is just a warehouse.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Why? Lithium is really nasty stuff and car plants cause all sorts of problems. An Amazon distribution center is just a warehouse.
I realize car plants *can* cause all sorts of problems. Those neighbors should get answers to those concerns. If I lived next to the site I would be just as concerned with the insane amount of large vehicle traffic an Amazon warehouse would bring.

JulianD

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Range Rover Sport, 2017 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Occupation
Accountant
Their property values will almost certainly increase. So, sell your place and move somewhere else if you don't like it. This factory will increase the population of their city, which will increase their voice in state and local government and I'm sure infrastructure will be improved to handle the added traffic. I don't really see a downside unless you live RIGHT next to the facility. People are always afraid of change. I welcome it. There are always options.

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
lots of high paying jobs coming to the area, unlike a $15/hr Amazon fulfillment job... I totally understand not wanting having a factory as a neighbor, but of all the factories, a high paying one is really a win for the region.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Their property values will almost certainly increase. So, sell your place and move somewhere else if you don't like it. This factory will increase the population of their city, which will increase their voice in state and local government and I'm sure infrastructure will be improved to handle the added traffic. I don't really see a downside unless you live RIGHT next to the facility. People are always afraid of change. I welcome it. There are always options.
So the downside is some people like the rural small town community. They don't want higher land values that will raise property taxes, pushing people out of homes. They don't want improved infrastructure to handle the added traffic, they don't want the traffic at all.

I feel them. I live in the Chicago suburbs. My family has a vacation home in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. When I'm up north, I am so much more relaxed. People are personable, it is more of a community feel, as opposed to a bunch of strangers.

the community could come together and vote people in that oppose the factory. But that requires an election cycle. If timed right, you should be able to push everything through between elections.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
With all the collective energy these people are showing I think that it would be best if they did this:
(knowing that the Governor wants this and can buy the land and then do what it wants with it)

These people come together and sell their properties at a inflated value to Rivian employees and top brass. People pool a certain amount from these sale and make a community account. They then find a new place in the country and buy a ton of land at a low value. They start up a incorporated township and make all the rules they want to keep the area small and rural.

Win win. Any time there are large open areas that are not federal land, those lands can, and likely will one day be turned into sometime big and different than it was. Buying all the land and making the rules is the only way to keep it the way "you want it."

Though it is sad in a way. But change is inevitable, just takes longer some times, faster others.

Also: New Mexico would love the plant if this falls through!

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

No matter where it went, there would be some amount of local and vocal resistance. There's a lot of people excited but media and social networks highlights the disgruntled.

Some have good/valid reasons to be upset, some don't. Some concerns will be addressed, some won't. Sorry!

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Just a warehouse that increases traffic count by hundreds of tractor trailers and trucks a day. In some cases, hundreds of vehicles an HOUR. This is an ongoing problem nationwide with Amazon warehouses. There's a huge Amazon warehouse complex (multiple buildings) about 20 miles from me. Crazy traffic problems. I'll take an environmentally aware auto manufacturer over another Amazon warehouse.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ama...wn-sees-truck-traffic-headaches-report-2021-7

https://legallysociable.com/2015/12...ic-generated-by-an-amazon-fulfillment-center/

https://www.nj.com/mercer/2015/12/amazons_mega_warehouse_gridlocks_traffic_in_nj_tow.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2021/07/29/traffic-concerns-put-warehouse-on-hold.html

https://www.recordnet.com/story/new...y-lives-more-truck-traffic-amazon/6454276001/

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

With all the collective energy these people are showing I think that it would be best if they did this:
(knowing that the Governor wants this and can buy the land and then do what it wants with it)

These people come together and sell their properties at a inflated value to Rivian employees and top brass. People pool a certain amount from these sale and make a community account. They then find a new place in the country and buy a ton of land at a low value. They start up a incorporated township and make all the rules they want to keep the area small and rural.

Win win. Any time there are large open areas that are not federal land, those lands can, and likely will one day be turned into sometime big and different than it was. Buying all the land and making the rules is the only way to keep it the way "you want it."

Though it is sad in a way. But change is inevitable, just takes longer some times, faster others.

Also: New Mexico would love the plant if this falls through!
Logically it makes sense.

Emotionally, giving up land that may have been in a family for generations is a bit of a tough sell.

Logically it is a huge win for the area. Sadly people do not function on logic.
Sponsored