Status
Not open for further replies.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I got excited about the opportunity to get a full stealth wrap for $4500, thanks Rivian. However after talking it over with the shop, it appears that it is not anything I would want. The Rivian "special" for full wrap uses the same film, however, it doesn't include the cost to remove badging. The template has big square areas around all badges that it is cut to. For the normal shiny xpel that isn't an issue, but for Stealth you would easily see these big square cutouts. I would be OK if the film was cut more precisely to the emblems, but big square cutouts would standout big time.
They have to save cost somewhere
Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I do not understand how one person asks a question to someone trying to upsell them and believes that what they’re being told is remotely true.
Until we see one of those Rivian deal wraps, it doesn’t mean anything as @SASSquatch said.

Why would a company priding themselves on quality cut a deal with another world renowned company for a botched job???
If this is remotely true, shouldn’t we all be worried about the general philosophy of Rivian?
Granted, you could say there’s a few red flags already, but still, I think we all want to believe that they’re doing quality work.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Out of the gate, they’re pimping an up charge. Need to pay an extra $299, for them to wash the truck before applying front film... “Includes decontamination, full vehicle wash, light paint correction, alcohol prep. (even new cars need this).”

$1500 package EXCLUDES the above!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I finally got a quote through the Rivian XPEL program. The shop is honoring the Rivian pricing, but their written quote says they will wrap the edges and the warranty is 10 years.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I finally got a quote through the Rivian XPEL program. The shop is honoring the Rivian pricing, but their written quote says they will wrap the edges and the warranty is 10 years.
Sounds like totally different business practice. Awesome.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I’m meeting with the local shop tomorrow. Not wrapping edges I could probably live with, but big cutouts around the badging is likely a no-go for me.
Update on this. Had a nice visit with the local shop. They had A LOT of really high end cars in the shop. They confirmed that the “Rivian Special” is no wrapped edges and no de-badging. He said there would be a rectangular cutout around the badges in the standard “Rivian Special” template. For another $2k ($6,500), he said they could do their “shop standard” application which would have wrapped edges and de-badging (note that this same shop had previously quoted me $11,600 for this, but it may have been prior to any Rivian templates being available and thus higher labor). After some negotiation, he agreed to do de-badging with non-wrapped edges for $5,000. Basically $500 more than the Rivian price to de-badge. I found that reasonable. He showed me two vehicles they had in the shop that had stealth wrap without edge wrap. It was barely noticeable to my eyes. He said regardless of whether I did the Rivian Special or their shop standard, it’s the exact same Xpel film.

Ceramic was an additional $800 or $1,250 depending on whether I wanted 2-3 year or 3-5 year product.

So I’m leaning towards doing it, just not sure which option.

Lionel_Hutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
They confirmed that the “Rivian Special” is no wrapped edges and no de-badging.
Confirmed based on what, exactly?

Given that this shop gave you an $11,600 quote that somehow magically became 6,500, I'd be seriously questioning everything they say.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I got excited about the opportunity to get a full stealth wrap for $4500, thanks Rivian. However after talking it over with the shop, it appears that it is not anything I would want. The Rivian "special" for full wrap uses the same film, however, it doesn't include the cost to remove badging. The template has big square areas around all badges that it is cut to. For the normal shiny xpel that isn't an issue, but for Stealth you would easily see these big square cutouts. I would be OK if the film was cut more precisely to the emblems, but big square cutouts would standout big time.
While I agree the pricing is compelling, It doesn't make sense that they would leave out a big square around the badges. That would look ridiculous.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian XPEL Stealth Deal - Beware STEALTH-PPF-Rivian-topper

Out of the gate, they’re pimping an up charge. Need to pay an extra $299, for them to wash the truck before applying front film... “Includes decontamination, full vehicle wash, light paint correction, alcohol prep. (even new cars need this).”

$1500 package EXCLUDES the above!
That's BS. a deep clean and prep is included in the price. The only thing that's not is paint correction, which being a matte film is unnecessary in my opinion, and if it's that bad, that's a Rivian issue.
" Deep cleaning is done prior to film installation and is included, however, repairs for deep scratches, paint damage, or dents need to be completed BEFORE PPF installation. Participating XPEL Dealers may be able to help with paint correction, be sure to ask about available services. "

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Ceramic was an additional $800 or $1,250 depending on whether I wanted 2-3 year or 3-5 year product.
That much additional for ceramic on top of the PPF is highway robbery for what's probably $100 in product. Usually the high cost of a ceramic coating is all the labor that goes into paint correction since you can't perform that correction after the coating goes on without sanding it off first. Especially if doing stealth PPF that doesn't need any (or very little) paint correction, it just comes down to applying the ceramic, which would be a couple hours of labor for 2 coats. But it's also not difficult to do yourself.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

It would be great if someone could take a picture of the so called big square opening for the badge on the hood.
The Rivian picture doesn’t seem to show any non covered area around the badges.
Would Rivian truly participate in false advertising? I still don’t want to believe this.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It seems pretty clear from the various accounts on this thread and others that what you get for the advertised pricing ($1,500 and $4,500, respectively) is going to vary widely from shop to shop and it will be up to the individual to confirm expectations and negotiate accordingly.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

That much additional for ceramic on top of the PPF is highway robbery for what's probably $100 in product. Usually the high cost of a ceramic coating is all the labor that goes into paint correction since you can't perform that correction after the coating goes on without sanding it off first. Especially if doing stealth PPF that doesn't need any (or very little) paint correction, it just comes down to applying the ceramic, which would be a couple hours of labor for 2 coats. But it's also not difficult to do yourself.
Agreed! The shop I am talking to has said they will do the full front end using the same XPEL PPF with wrapped edges and the 10-year warranty for $1650. They said they will coat the PPF with ceramic for free. That's how little ceramic alone costs them. I agreed since it seems like a good deal vs. the $1500 Rivian special.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.