Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

All in all, not bad execution. some odd serviceability choices they made but good job.

I do wonder if the double 12V battery leading to either side of the battery pack is how Rivian has futureproofed their architecture to make it 800V compatible? Yes, I know currently it's not enabled, nor is it something that can be via software per our many forum posts on the subject.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Call for Sandy- pony car on line 1…

I was perhaps more entertained by that than I should have…

Last edited:

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
Pretty good for a first vehicle design, Rivian definitely took the safer over-design route.

I’m guessing the coax problem is a part substitution issue where the alternatives had longer coax cable length, so had to be taped up.

The amplifier wiring clearly was a battle between the electrical team and the body team for space, and body won.

The only unforgivable was the lack of abrasion protection on the one hardness pass through. I can understand the lack of a grommet because the gear tunnel is considered interior space, but it needs better pass through abrasion protection.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Pretty good for a first vehicle design, Rivian definitely took the safer over-design route.

I’m guessing the coax problem is a part substitution issue where the alternatives had longer coax cable length, so had to be taped up.

The amplifier wiring clearly was a battle between the electrical team and the body team for space, and body won.

The only unforgivable was the lack of abrasion protection on the one hardness pass through. I can understand the lack of a grommet because the gear tunnel is considered interior space, but it needs better pass through abrasion protection.
The amplifier should definitely have 90-degree connectors. As an EE, I was disturbed by the twisted coax.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
All in all, not bad execution. some odd serviceability choices they made but good job.

I do wonder if the double 12V battery leading to either side of the battery pack is how Rivian has futureproofed their architecture to make it 800V compatible? Yes, I know currently it's not enabled, nor is it something that can be via software per our many forum posts on the subject.
Why would that matter? It's still a 12V system.

The most logical explanation I've heard is packaging considerations.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The amplifier should definitely have 90-degree connectors. As an EE, I was disturbed by the twisted coax.
was going to say the same. Easy solution.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Why would that matter? It's still a 12V system.

The most logical explanation I've heard is packaging considerations.
To me redundancy but why it controls Left/Right instead of F/R is odd.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
To me redundancy but why it controls Left/Right instead of F/R is odd.
yeah, I can't explain the L/R split. Will never happen, but I'd love to get a Rivian engineer drunk and hear all their stories.

Deleted member 7086

Informative. Does the R1T have a head unit, if so where is it located and how do the roof antenna leads connect to it?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Informative. Does the R1T have a head unit, if so where is it located and how do the roof antenna leads connect to it?
The infotainment is probably that box mounted on the back of the IP.

Antenna is probably one of the coaxial connectors they talked about in the video.

They did specifically call out the box on the rear of the cab as the telematics unit.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You can get to this part of the harness easy by taking off the passenger side gear tunnel inner plastic pieces. I had the same thoughts as the video about it, but the harness itself is very rigid at that spot and mine wasn't actually contacting the metal. There's enough room that I could wrap it with some anti-abrasion tape, but I don't think it's at all necessary. It does sort of look like there is supposed to be something around that entire hole though.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Looks like a combination of mature manufacturing and growing pains which makes sense given they have some experienced engineers on staff but are still building production for the first time.

Not sure I understand the painters tape though. Wonder if this was a one-off. I might have to send RIVIAN a box of electrical tape with my name on it and tell them to make sure they use it when the time is right. ...

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
I was disappointed that he didn't point out the wires to the PWS speakers.
Sponsored