Sponsored

Electronaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Rivian CEO on Charging Network: ‘We’re going to open it up”

Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe said in a recent interview that the company would open up its network of electric vehicle chargers to other car companies, following the moves of automakers like Tesla, who have had exclusivity in their EV charging posts.

“We’re going to open it up,” Scaringe said on the WVFRM podcast earlier this month.

Scaringe said the move has no specific timeline, but car companies must continue to build out their EV charging networks to make options more available to drivers. “In the United States, there’s been a massive underinvestment in charging infrastructure, and realizing that, we decided to build out our own infrastructure,” he said (via Automotive News). “A year from now, the density of Rivian chargers will really help solve a lot of these core issues, and we’ll see third-party networks start to build up as well.”
Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I heard him mention that during the interview. Makes total sense. Especially as I cheer on the expansion of the Tesla CCS network.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I heard him mention that during the interview. Makes total sense. Especially as I cheer on the expansion of the Tesla CCS network.
Good for Rivian. Wonder if Tesla is waiting until the v4 superchargers to roll out before opening up to CCS charging?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Really hope DCFC installations pick up significantly to outpace the amount of EVs that will be on the market by then.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
How would the RAN chargers qualify without card readers, etc?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

How would the RAN chargers qualify without card readers, etc?
It's probably easy enough to add them. Rivian's chargers are their own internal design. No-one to fight with for the implementation.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
It's probably easy enough to add them. Rivian's chargers are their own internal design. No-one to fight with for the implementation.
Hopefully doesn't change the current plug and charge convenience

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Hopefully doesn't change the current plug and charge convenience
Rivian implemented Plug and Charge (the industry standard) on the trucks as well, so it sounds like the installation of card readers should not affect the trucks once live. Anyway, that’s my hope.

More chargers everywhere, please!

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Rivian implemented Plug and Charge (the industry standard) on the trucks as well, so it sounds like the installation of card readers should not affect the trucks once live. Anyway, that’s my hope.

More chargers everywhere, please!
Used my first RAN station over the weekend and loved plug and charge.

gj_washington

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
Used my first RAN station over the weekend and loved plug and charge.
Rivian CEO on Charging Network: ‘We’re going to open it up”

Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe said in a recent interview that the company would open up its network of electric vehicle chargers to other car companies, following the moves of automakers like Tesla, who have had exclusivity in their EV charging posts.

“We’re going to open it up,” Scaringe said on the WVFRM podcast earlier this month.

Scaringe said the move has no specific timeline, but car companies must continue to build out their EV charging networks to make options more available to drivers. “In the United States, there’s been a massive underinvestment in charging infrastructure, and realizing that, we decided to build out our own infrastructure,” he said (via Automotive News). “A year from now, the density of Rivian chargers will really help solve a lot of these core issues, and we’ll see third-party networks start to build up as well.”
Today the RAN chargers are open to non- Rivians, right? I saw a Polestar charging in one and there’s no indication that it’s checking the vehicle it’s plugged into.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Today the RAN chargers are open to non- Rivians, right? I saw a Polestar charging in one and there’s no indication that it’s checking the vehicle it’s plugged into.
If so, probably a L2 Waypoint charger. These are the same as home EVSE

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, considering R1S
saw a Polestar charging in one
Was the polestar on a DCFC dispenser or the L2 post ? L2s have been open since forever (thanks Rivian), but this article is talking about opening the DCFC dispensers too.

Definitely kudos to Rivian for opening the RAN DCFCs eventually, but also boo for ~2024 until it happens...
Sponsored

Last edited: