Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

The look isn’t for everyone, but a lot of us like them, and those 18” steelies command a premium on the resale market. Takeoff 19s and 20s from the new defenders can be had much more readily than the 18”, and the market prices reflect that.

Ever notice how often you see R1Ts changing tires on the their off-road documentaries? The limited sidewall on the 20” AT is the biggest liability for moderate off-roading. The same is true of Defenders (and other Land Rovers) rolling on 19s and bigger. There’s a reason Jeep and Toyota put 17” wheels on their off-road vehicles.
Sponsored

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
The look isn’t for everyone, but a lot of us like them, and those 18” steelies command a premium on the resale market. Takeoff 19s and 20s from the new defenders can be had much more readily than the 18”, and the market prices reflect that.

Ever notice how often you see R1Ts changing tires on the their off-road documentaries? The limited sidewall on the 20” AT is the biggest liability for moderate off-roading. The same is true of Defenders (and other Land Rovers) rolling on 19s and bigger. There’s a reason Jeep and Toyota put 17” wheels on their off-road vehicles.
I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who knows jack **** about actual off-roading. (I drive an Audi "allroad" which is probably all you need to know. Ha.) If I can get into the wilderness and keep from rolling the R1T over on its back, that will be a victory. Also definitely planning on getting the full size spare, now that I am anticipating more flats...

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

A reason Rivian picked the AT 20 instead of 17 or 18 is possibly the excellent range, 300+, a compromise and a careful choice.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

A reason Rivian picked the AT 20 instead of 17 or 18 is possibly the excellent range, 300+, a compromise and a careful choice.
My bet is that it has more to do with the massive brakes needed for a 7000lb truck that goes 0-60mph in 3.1 seconds.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I suppose I can understand the aesthetic, especially given the retro cred. But given the price, this is one of those situations where I think I might just opt for a $75 aftermarket rim rather than the "authentic" OEM... :)
Yah I love the steelies for the reasons mentioned. My first choice when I configured my Defender was a retro blue with white top and steel wheels but I wanted the larger engine.

American Defender fans could be crazier than Rivian fans. The rare North American spec 1993 Defenders fetch a disturbingly vulgar price these days. A rebuilt one from East Coast Rover in Maine is now the domain of billionaires and/or the truly deranged?…

I spotted this example late last week. Notice the surrounding real estate…

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian wheels compared to Land Rover Defender wheels C34F58FB-DB0F-4ABB-947D-1C059C5D433B

…a wolf wheel fix is now a relative bargain…

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Yah I love the steelies for the reasons mentioned. My first choice when I configured my Defender was a retro blue with white top and steel wheels but I wanted the larger engine.

American Defender fans could be crazier than Rivian fans. The rare North American spec 1993 Defenders fetch a disturbingly vulgar price these days. A rebuilt one from East Coast Rover from Maine is now the domain of billionaires and/or the truly deranged?…

I spotted this example from late last week. Notice the surrounding real estate…

C34F58FB-DB0F-4ABB-947D-1C059C5D433B.jpeg

Fun fact: In the cup holder on the driver’s side was a lipstick stained coffee cup. Reminded me of a new version of an old joke: Wife wanted. Must have ECR restored Defender. Send pictures of ECR restored Defender ?…

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech

American Defender fans could be crazier than Rivian fans. The rare North American spec 1993 Defenders fetch a disturbingly vulgar price these days. A rebuilt one from East Coast Rover in Maine is now the domain of billionaires and/or the truly deranged?…

I spotted this example late last week. Notice the surrounding real estate…

C34F58FB-DB0F-4ABB-947D-1C059C5D433B.jpeg

And when you get tired of waiting for your Rivian, you can order one of these:
https://ecdautodesign.com/electric-defender/

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian wheels compared to Land Rover Defender wheels 1637021383703

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback

Toyota even puts 16" on off road Tacomas.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Limestone, 21Inch
It is not about the looks, it is about the tires and their sidewall height. Steel wheels are smaller in diameter, so you can get a tire with much bigger sidewalls, which is desirable when offroading.

What? They offer alloys in the same size. Steel wheels are preferred by some off-roaders because they do not crack like alloys can on rough terrain. This allows them to hold air even if they become bent. In the case of the Defender, it most certainly is about looks considering most of them will never see any hard core off-roading.
Sponsored