Sponsored

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
A couple of waypoint chargers (level 2) installed at Under Canvas just north of Moab. Have any other waypoint chargers been spotted?

Rivian waypoint chargers spotted at Under Canvas (Moab) 1.jpg

Rivian waypoint chargers spotted at Under Canvas (Moab) 2.jpg

Rivian waypoint chargers spotted at Under Canvas (Moab) 3.jpg

Also this article from this spring mentioned Rivian attempting to find a site in Moab for their fast chargers, has anyone heard of any progress on their Moab site?

https://www.moabtimes.com/articles/...-charging-stations-on-display-at-walker-drug/

Recap of Rivian chargers specs (from Rivian website):

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 12.02.19 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 12.01.23 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 12.02.19 PM.jpg
Very cool! Slowly but surely!
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
So if you are trying to do a trip across the country I'm assuming this one will pop up then you would get there and find you cant use it unless you stay the night? ya that's kind of BS
Yeah, unfortunately this is essentially an amenity provided by the hotel to its customers. Tesla's "destination chargers" are also often limited to customers of the hosting establishment, and Tesla paid for the installation of thousands of those. Usually you can work out a deal with the hotel or restaurant to let you charge there even if you're not a customer, but they'll give priority to customers.

I believe Tesla paid for the installation for a while, then paid just for the wall charger but not installation, and eventually stopped covering even that part of the cost. Tesla, to my knowledge, has never paid for any of the electricity costs. The host/destination has to pay for that, so it is not completely free to them, even for those who had the full install cost covered.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
So with these you just plug in or do you still have to pay? Trying to see if the box has a card reader

eemri

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered
Clubs

I really hope "spotting chargers in the wild" becomes the new "spotting vehicles in the wild" very soon
Or hopefully spotting vehicles in the wild, charging in the wild :cool:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
S

So being a Rivian customer doesn't qualify without an additional purchase of a tent stay?
Waypoints are supposed to be for everyone....so this is a bit strange. Wonder if Rivian signed off (no pun intended) on this being reserved just for Under Canvas customers or if the sign is just there to deter.

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Would hope for more than two at any spot... all the infrastructure logistics should warrant at least 4-6 minimum no matter where they pop up.
I am with you. I think Rivian should put more than 2 chargers per site. I get it that this particular site seems to be for camping customers. Nevertheless, i hope Rivian deploy more chargers per site, particularly level 2, since those will be shared with all other EVs out there.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Waypoints are supposed to be for everyone....so this is a bit strange. Wonder if Rivian signed off (no pun intended) on this being reserved just for Under Canvas customers or if the sign is just there to deter.
Well, I think they're supposed to be for all brands of cars. Which this is. I don't think I've seen anything saying that they may not be restricted by the property owner (such as a hotel).

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
If they are like Tesla's destination chargers, there is no provision for collecting payment and the host site is providing the electricity. Reasonable for them to restrict usage to their customers.

Enabling payment on remote chargers can be problematic and always adds cost that is either absorbed by the property owner or passed on to the customer.

GIJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Tesla 3
Overall I'm excited these are popping up. There are probably more as Rivian seems to be doing it without all the fanfare. We should keep a thread going of new charger sites as they appear!

Sponsored

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
You can see a powerline. And some service drops in the back ground of the pics. Maybe solar powered by day from a nearby solar farm but definetly something else power chargers at night…. Unless there is a rather large battery bank close by.

a couple chargers are a good start and no need for more until they are overly busy.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
So if you are trying to do a trip across the country I'm assuming this one will pop up then you would get there and find you cant use it unless you stay the night? ya that's kind of BS
I hadn’t thought about that. Anyone know if there is/will be a way to filter the charging station results? Kind of like being able to avoid toll roads on Gmaps? But instead you would filter out hotel customer charge stations. I guess you could zoom in to see if it was at a hotel or restaurant, but it would be nice to be able to just show the open use ones.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
If they are like Tesla's destination chargers, there is no provision for collecting payment and the host site is providing the electricity. Reasonable for them to restrict usage to their customers.
There always was that capability though it was extremely primative as in give the operator 5 bucks and he flips the breaker. Only a very few destination charger operators did this, they were quickly marked on ABRP and, presumably, shunned. The G 3's are remotely controllable over WiFi but the firmware to do such has not been made available. Even when it is I don;t think that it will be possible to interface RFID or card reader directly to the EVSE and it will still be necessary to get an operator to enable the station. If anyone chooses to do this. It seems to me that it should be a simple matter for the vehicle to send its VIN to even a L2 EVSE. Then when you, for example, check into a hote/motel you give the desk your VIN if you want to charge at which point the EVSE is authorized to charge your vehicle and a summary of your charging session goes into the property's computer enabling them to add the charge to your bill. Don't know if the Tesla HPWC will allow anything like this let alone wheter Rivians L2 system does.

Enabling payment on remote chargers can be problematic and always adds cost that is either absorbed by the property owner or passed on to the customer.
EA has always blamed a lot of its problems with its DCFC network on this,

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It seems to me that it should be a simple matter for the vehicle to send its VIN to even a L2 EVSE.
Since there is no provision in the J1772 standard for the vehicle to communicate anything with the EVSE, it would require reworking the standard. It could be done - in theory - but in practice it is unlikely to happen. While they are at it, let the vehicle communicate SOC as well.

And yes, a padlock on the handle or flipping the breaker would work, but is not really a feature of the EVSE.

Many EVSEs are installed in areas with weak or no wifi and some in areas that have no cell coverage. There are solutions that are practical on a big (and expensive) bank of DCFC equipment that make no sense to try and install on a low cost L2 EVSE.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
You can see a powerline. And some service drops in the back ground of the pics. Maybe solar powered by day from a nearby solar farm but definetly something else power chargers at night…. Unless there is a rather large battery bank close by
Yes. Keep in mind that one can claim "Powered by 100% renewable energy" even if it is powered by a coal burning plant. It's the old Al Gore trick.
Sponsored