Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Digital communications
Here is what it looked like in 2014.
1624616375145.png

1624616462615.png

This is definitely it; same kiosk, same doors and windows. And it would make sense. DOT has a vehicle History trail right next to it - imagine a Rivian shop right next to that...

They should instead put a brewery in that space.

I bet you they put a shop in Tysons.
That isn’t just near a DOT vehicle history trail. It’s right beside USDOT headquarters.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Washington DC (Scouting with RJ) 46D6BF51-6F1B-48C0-BA56-0D9FE7A89079

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Washington DC (Scouting with RJ) 42D3B1B0-E352-44F6-9411-05AC47CC23CB

One can even see Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg riding a bike away from that block — across M St SE, northward from Tingey St — in this tweet.

_If_ this becomes a showroom, it’s a brilliant site. The company would lobby for EVs as the future of automotive transport — and for the company — merely by controlling that prime location. Plus, the heavy foot traffic on Washington Nationals game days (the ballpark is nearby) hardly hurts.

(BTW: There’s already a brewery on the block, natch. It‘s pretty darned decent.)
Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

That isn’t just near a DOT vehicle history trail. It’s right beside USDOT headquarters.

46D6BF51-6F1B-48C0-BA56-0D9FE7A89079.jpeg

42D3B1B0-E352-44F6-9411-05AC47CC23CB.png

One can even see Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg riding a bike away from that block — across M St SE, northward from Tingey St — in this tweet.

_If_ this becomes a showroom, it’s a brilliant site. The company would lobby for EVs as the future of automotive transport — and for the company — merely by controlling that prime location. Plus, the heavy foot traffic on Washington Nationals game days (the ballpark is nearby) hardly hurts.

(BTW: There’s already a brewery on the block, natch. It‘s pretty darned decent.)

Yeap it would be an amazing location, as of right now I do not see any RA's in DC for Rivian searching their portal so unless they are renting or leasing the space from a company who owns the property (which most likely the case based on the building sign) it will be tough to know when work will begin. I make plans to go down there sometime soon tho to check it out!

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
I just had the perfect thought, can somebody forward to RJ... Come out to montgomery mall in bethesda, there's an old sears auto shop ready to go 100k in improvements to spiff it up and now you got something. There's even an area for a showroom and sales or delivery. Certainly cheaper than d.c. to get a foothold

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE

46D6BF51-6F1B-48C0-BA56-0D9FE7A89079.jpeg

42D3B1B0-E352-44F6-9411-05AC47CC23CB.png

I know the location well! I worked in a building long since torn down right next to DOT hq and have frequented Blue Jacket. Cool building for sure, but crap for a service center. Bethesda would be good - did that Sears have an auto center?

Any WMA get contacted yet? I talked to a CS named Will whose from Alexandria. He said WMA is high priority too.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I know the location well! I worked in a building long since torn down right next to DOT hq and have frequented Blue Jacket. Cool building for sure, but crap for a service center. Bethesda would be good - did that Sears have an auto center?

Any WMA get contacted yet? I talked to a CS named Will whose from Alexandria. He said WMA is high priority too.

Not yet but im R1S 2019 reservation.

Sponsored

ThatOneGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

This is a relief to hear!

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Just found this thread and pretty psyched to see all you have uncovered. I often have to go to the Navy Yard for work as well and walk past this building countless times each month so will be happy to post photos and updates if there is any action. I'm surprised they landed the location as it is PRIME real estate for restaurants etc (I was always surprised it was vacant as long as it was). It's a pretty big structure and very cool, but I don't see them doing much other than a showroom and maybe a pickup spot. There is ZERO parking here because of restaurants, federal buildings, and nationals park.

It is very strategic though as mentioned by others. This used to be some of the most dangerous property around. When I first joined my company in 2007 everyone had to leave the Navy Yard together to commute home for safety. The Marine Corps Barracks at 8th and I where they have evening parade in the summer would guard the streets while people went to their cars after the silent drill team. Now the buildings in this area are all new or revitalized with 500k studio apartments and rooftop pools. There is a high end bike shop around the corner and many high end restaurants near the waterfront. The DOT being right next door could be very helpful with any bureaucracy to actually walk someone with power over to the location and show them something.

I would much prefer a location in Tysons as well (I live in Northern VA), but very cool anyway!

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

So I walked by on the way to the Navy yard this morning and all is quiet. The for sale sign is also still up so not sure what that means....

Here is a pic I took.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Washington DC (Scouting with RJ) 20210728_122624

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

So I walked by on the way to the Navy yard this morning and all is quiet. The for sale sign is also still up so not sure what that means....

Here is a pic I took.

20210728_122624.jpg

Yup as far as I know no records indication of sale. Maybe it didn't work out.

Inthedmv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Launch Green R1T
Yup as far as I know no records indication of sale. Maybe it didn't work out.
I work in the area and was out for a walk today. An iconic building still for sale or lease...

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Washington DC (Scouting with RJ) IMG_5048
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Washington DC (Scouting with RJ) IMG_5047

Last edited:

Sponsored

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
I work in the area and was out for a walk today. An iconic building still for sale or lease
You beat me to it. I was planning to be in the area this friday and was going to take few pictures. Now, it looks like that site is no go. My sense is that site need some serious $ to modify & maintain the historical look of the building. I was hoping that they will buy the adjacent park as well (assuming it is for sale) since the building itself is too small as a service center. It might work as display/sale location but definitely not as a service center.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Not that rivian doesn't have the cash, but I bet it is stupid expensive too considering the location is some of the hottest real estate in the area.

I was.going to be there next week and do an update.... We will have to get together when we get our vehicles haha

Inthedmv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Launch Green R1T
You beat me to it. I was planning to be in the area this friday and was going to take few pictures. Now, it looks like that site is no go. My sense is that site need some serious $ to modify & maintain the historical look of the building. I was hoping that they will buy the adjacent park as well (assuming it is for sale) since the building itself is too small as a service center. It might work as display/sale location but definitely not as a service center.
The building next to DOT is a mess, and it would be huge lift to turn it into a showroom. It is right next to a Metro station but inconvenient to drive to because of limited parking. Someone else posted about the former Sears Auto Center in an out parcel at the Montgomery Mall in Bethesda. That is not far from my house and besides being convenient for me, would be a great location that is close to move in ready for potential showroom and definitely service center use.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sorry forgot to reply but yes the building is still available and afaik they are operating out of warehouses in Herndon and Rockville for now at least for service/delivery aspects of things.

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT
Sorry forgot to reply but yes the building is still available and afaik they are operating out of warehouses in Herndon and Rockville for now at least for service/delivery aspects of things.
Any luck finding the Rockville location? Their permit search isnt the greatest and may be that way intentionally.
Sponsored