Sponsored

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
I agree if they warrenty 70% useable they probably expect 85%.

Just for a little more information on my usage.
98% supercharger
6% of that degradation was 1st 2 years
4% was last 3 years.

I’m guessing the lower degradation rate is a product of OTA updates tweaking the battery management System.

When I purchased the car in 2016 Tesla was doing 8 years unlimited mileage warrenty for the battery and drive train.
Wow that be nice
With unlimited supercharging
Forever car
Sponsored

Electronaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Hey we're cited!

https://thenextweb.com/shift/2021/0...nty-should-be-the-standard-for-all-ev-brands/

Rivian’s amazing new warranty should be the standard for all EV brands

It sets a new standard for EV makers

Amazon-backed electric SUV maker Rivian is quietly making a name for itself as one of the most exciting newcomers to the electric vehicle market. Not only are its cars looking great, it’s also offering after-sales service that sets a new standard for the industry.

Over the past week, sleuths over on Rivian forums spotted updates to the EV startup’s vehicle warranties, and it has well and truly thrown down the gauntlet to all other manufacturers with its five-year, 60,000-mile comprehensive warranty.

I’m not surprised if warranties don’t get you as hot under the collar as they do me, so bear with it.

What makes Rivian’s warranty so good?
Typically, car warranties cover two things, time or miles driven, whichever comes first.

It’s quite common for carmakers to offer a comprehensive three year, or 36,000 mile, warranty. If you drive more than 36,000 miles in three years, then your warranty expires. That’s what “whichever comes first” means.

Rivian’s warranty, however, squeezes a little more out of that. According to the company’s website, the comprehensive warranty covers, “The cost of all parts and labor necessary for any defective materials are covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.”

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Warranty information announced! lue-r1s-green-normal-plant-batterylab-lightson-

The EV maker also offers a very impressive corrosion warranty too. Rivian is covering all body panels for eight years, with unlimited miles. This is two years longer than Land Rover’s corrosion warranty.

Given that its vehicles are intended to be used off-road, in dirty and wet conditions, this is great to see.

Beyond the usual
However, because Rivian is an electric carmaker it also offers warranty on its battery, motors, and drivetrain components.

It’s safe to say its battery and drivetrain warranties are beyond great, they are the best for any electric carmaker.

Rivian says it will cover all components inside its high-voltage battery pack, for eight years or 175,000 miles. While covering the pack for eight years is quite common, usually other manufacturers remove cover after 100,000 miles.

The Amazon-backed startup will also cover the battery for 70% or more coverage, over that period too. So battery degradation shouldn’t be a concern. Although, many other manufacturers cover up to 80% of charge. But this seems to be the only area where Rivian doesn’t best the competition.

Drivetrain
As for the drivetrain, that’s also covered for eight years and 175,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The best bit of all though, is Rivian’s warranty is super clear, understandable, and doesn’t appear to leave much wiggle room for the company to charge customers for repairs by claiming it’s not covered by the warranty.

What’s more, Rivian’s warranty applies to all of its vehicles, and all the components unless otherwise stated.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Warranty information announced! rivian-wrapcapture-

Sure it only makes two models right now, but the wording suggests it’ll have one warranty that will apply to all of its cars. Not like Tesla, where every vehicle has a slightly different warranty, and not all components are included.

Self-driving cars are exciting and all, but this is the kind of simple disruption is what the motor industry actually needs.

Looking good
Of course, we’ll have to wait for owners to start submitting warranty claims to see how Rivian responds, but so far it’s looking good.

The robust and clear warranty should give potential buyers a generous helping of confidence too.

It’s always a bit of an unknown, buying into a new car brand which has no track record for reliability. Knowing you’re covered by a solid warranty is great for peace of mind. If something does go wrong, it’s just an inconvenience — not a financially ruinous incident.

Hopefully other EV makers will follow in Rivian’s footsteps by simplifying and strengthening their warranties.

I hope you’re as excited about warranties as I am now.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Battery Pack
8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first
This coverage includes the battery pack enclosure and all components inside. Parts that connect the vehicle to the battery — including but not limited to external cables, harnesses and hoses — are covered under the Comprehensive Warranty terms.

The Battery Pack Limited Warranty will also cover the retention of 70% or more of the battery capacity within the warranty period. Batteries that are repaired or replaced will continue to be covered for the remainder of the original warranty period.

Maryland requires 10 year battery coverage for EVs sold in the state. Does that mean Rivian will have a different coverage? or just won't sell in Maryland? Does anyone know how this works?

Ref: https://mde.state.md.us/programs/Ai...ents/Warranty Requirements for Clean Cars.pdf

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
So… you can loose 30% of your battery range within 8 years and it’s ok?

30%?

let’s do the math.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
So… you can loose 30% of your battery range within 8 years and it’s ok?

30%?

let’s do the math.
Ok. Math:

Rivian warranty of 70% battery life after 8 years = Tesla warranty of 70% life after 8 years

Rivian warranty of 70% battery life up to 175,000 miles > Tesla warranty of 70% battery life up to 100,000 or 150,000 miles (depending on model)

Sponsored

OEVA

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oeva.org
Vehicles
many

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Ok. Math:

Rivian warranty of 70% battery life after 8 years = Tesla warranty of 70% life after 8 years

Rivian warranty of 70% battery life up to 175,000 miles > Tesla warranty of 70% battery life up to 100,000 or 150,000 miles (depending on model)
Great. That is not the math here. That is a statement.

if your statement above is correct, Then is sounds like Rivians written battery warrant might be better. Great.

let’s look at the math and please tell me i‘m wrong here, if I am.

range at new: 311

20” tire combo losses 10% so new for this configuration starts at 280

less 30% in 8 years is 196 total range.

take away 10% at the top,of thr battery and another 10% at the bottom and we have 157 miles of range. Divided by 2 for a round trip range of 78 miles with out having to stop.

I might not have this right. Please enlighten me.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

if your statement above is correct, Then is sounds like Rivians written battery warrant might be better. Great.

take away 10% at the top,of thr battery and another 10% at the bottom and we have 157 miles of range. Divided by 2 for a round trip range of 78 miles with out having to stop.

30% would be an outlier. If you happen to be a person that ends up with 25% loss that would suck. But realistically, all of the OEMs have a very low percentage expectation for people having a battery warranty claim with what I'd guess is a lognormal distribution of loss with a median skewing closer to 10% similar to what you see with Tesla and other manufacturers.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

Math is all correct (except for range at new, that's 314), but not sure the point. Why not take away 30% at the top and bottom? Then it would only be 40mi each way on a trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or what if you tow your double wide in winter in Calgary? You can't leave your street! We've all made a terrible mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ABORT, ABORT ABORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The math is the same on a Tesla or any other EV. Also, a warranty is not a projection of what will happen. If they thought the average person was going to see 30% degradation, they would only warranty 50%. As a Tesla owner, despite their warranty you know that actual degradation is far, far less over that timeframe.

There is no reason to believe that the batteries won't be able to sustain around 90% of original range over 8 years. If a 2012-2013 Tesla can achieve that, today's technology and knowledge can do even better.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Math is all correct (except for range at new, that's 314), but not sure the point. Why not take away 30% at the top and bottom? Then it would only be 40mi each way on a trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or what if you tow your double wide in winter in Calgary? You can't leave your street! We've all made a terrible mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ABORT, ABORT ABORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The math is the same on a Tesla or any other EV. Also, a warranty is not a projection of what will happen. If they thought the average person was going to see 30% degradation, they would only warranty 50%. As a Tesla owner, despite their warranty you know that actual degradation is far, far less over that timeframe.

There is no reason to believe that the batteries won't be able to sustain around 90% of original range over 8 years. If a 2012-2013 Tesla can achieve that, today's technology and knowledge can do even better.
Awesome. Thanks.
to be fair.….. a Rivian is not like any other EV (Tesla) because no one else makes a electric truck yet. So we really can’t compare a Tesla Model anything to a Rivian. And yes, towing Is a big deal against range and we have no information to go on. We need real world owners towing real trailers and boats to tell us what is really happening out there. that’s the frustrating part for me. The wait.
Sponsored