Sponsored

Silver9k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19' CX-5 D, 16' Mazda3, 07 S2000
Happy to see the somewhat steady flow of info coming from Rivian, seems to be the end of every week now a little breadcrumb is dropped. Warranty is solid and gives the confidence needed to be comfortable with the purchase.
Sponsored

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
In general, this is good news. I would have like to see something in the 75-80% range. But I do have to give them credit overall. They offer the 70% battery for up to 175K miles or 8 years, the first of which is better than any other EV warranty of which I'm aware (Tesla also at 8 years, but not that many miles). Also, they absolutely killed it on comprehensive and drivetrain levels. Those are some heady numbers. Hopefully also indicative of reliability they expect.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Not to be a downer... I was really excited about the warranty... until I remembered economics class where some manufacturers offer great warranties since it is cheaper to repair than to have superb reliability.

Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Happy to see the somewhat steady flow of info coming from Rivian, seems to be the end of every week now a little breadcrumb is dropped. Warranty is solid and gives the confidence needed to be comfortable with the purchase.
Seems like Thursday is the new Friday as far as press release/information drops from RIvian.

Keep it coming!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Not to be a downer... I was really excited about the warranty... until I remembered economics class where some manufacturers offer great warranties since it is cheaper to repair than to have superb reliability.
And a shorter warranty would mean that they would cost them even less if reliability was poor.
Sometimes you see a company need to offer longer than industry standard warranties after they develop a reputation for reliability issues. As a new manufacturer, Rivian is also wants to help offset any potential concerns since they have no reputation at all to rely on.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I remembered economics class where some manufacturers offer great warranties since it is cheaper to repair than to have superb reliability.
It isn't necessarily true that warranty expenses are cheaper than superb reliability. It can be cheaper in the short run, but in the long run it is cheaper build it right the first time. In economics it is almost always a bad idea to make blanket statements.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I would say Hyundai and Kia defy that expectation, they’re ranked up there were Toyota in terms of reliability. I think they’re just matching the EV warranties already out there

Sponsored

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
Each EV manufacturer battery warranty offers:

Audi Eight years/100,000 miles
BMW Eight years/100,000 miles
Honda Eight years/100,000 miles
Hyundai Eight years/125,000
milesKia Seven years/100,000 miles
Mercedes Eight years/100,000 miles
MG Seven years/80000 miles
Jaguar Eight years/100,000 miles
Nissan Eight years/100,000 miles
Polestar Eight years/100,000 miles
Porsche Eight years/100,000 miles
Renault Eight years/100,000 miles
Seat Eight years/100,000 miles
Smart Eight years/62500 miles
Tesla Eight years/120,000 miles (150,000 miles for the Model S and Model X)
VW Eight years/100,000 miles
Volvo Eight years/ 100,000 miles

Source : https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/how-long-do-electric-car-batteries-last/

So far, Rivian is killing it

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Maybe it's an indication that the drip of information is about to turn into the drip, drip,
Drip is not enough, I need at least a tinkle.

Tesla does 70% at 8 years. I am at 90% after 5 years.
Exactly, don't confuse a warranty with expectations. Warranties reflect worst case, not likely or best case.

Damn impressive across the board.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

My apologies for the drip, drip, comment. Until I read some of these entries just now, I didn't catch that Rivian actually sent yet another email today. Man! That's two in the past week! I can hardly keep up! Now, I feel like I'm drinking from a Water-Pik.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Drip is not enough, I need at least a tinkle.

Exactly, don't confuse a warranty with expectations. Warranties reflect worst case, not likely or best case.

Damn impressive across the board.
I agree if they warrenty 70% useable they probably expect 85%.

Just for a little more information on my usage.
98% supercharger
6% of that degradation was 1st 2 years
4% was last 3 years.

I’m guessing the lower degradation rate is a product of OTA updates tweaking the battery management System.

When I purchased the car in 2016 Tesla was doing 8 years unlimited mileage warrenty for the battery and drive train.
Sponsored