Rivian wall charger can't connect to WiFi

Moe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-250, Ford Raptor, Ford Focus RS
Occupation
Carpenter
Hi new to the group, just got my Rivian wall charger installed , one problem I can’t get it to connect to the WiFi, I have good WiFi in my home but the charger just won’t connect, anyone have the same problem or does anyone know how to fix , thanks Moe
Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Mine had a similar issue and I had to disable the 5g capability in my router and connect to charger via 2.4g. Once I had it connected via 2.4g, I re-enabled the 5g and it worked. It’s not always responsive via Wi-Fi when I access via the app from in the house but is good when I’m near the truck. Certainly not what I would call seamless but seems to work okay.

OP
OP

Moe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-250, Ford Raptor, Ford Focus RS
Occupation
Carpenter
Mine had a similar issue and I had to disable the 5g capability in my router and connect to charger via 2.4g. Once I had it connected via 2.4g, I re-enabled the 5g and it worked. It’s not always responsive via Wi-Fi when I access via the app from in the house but is good when I’m near the truck. Certainly not what I would call seamless but seems to work okay.
Thank you will give it a go

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Yeah, in my WiFi network, I just set up a separate "network" or SSID called Blarg2.4 which is set up to only work on 2.4 Ghz. Then all these old devices (like the brand new Rivian charger, sigh), can work by connecting to that Blarg2.4 network. It is rather disappointing that Rivian outsourced their Wall Charger to a manufacturer that uses such old technology.

Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yeah, in my WiFi network, I just set up a separate "network" or SSID called Blarg2.4 which is set up to only work on 2.4 Ghz. Then all these old devices (like the brand new Rivian charger, sigh), can work by connecting to that Blarg2.4 network. It is rather disappointing that Rivian outsourced their Wall Charger to a manufacturer that uses such old technology.
Does it really need to be on a 5Ghz band? At least the packets that I have sniffed, there isn't a lot of data going to and from the charger.

Also, 2.4 ghz does have a longer ranger, so for at least my use case it is better than 5 or 6 Ghz protocols.

Opa

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Tacoma
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hi new to the group, just got my Rivian wall charger installed , one problem I can’t get it to connect to the WiFi, I have good WiFi in my home but the charger just won’t connect, anyone have the same problem or does anyone know how to fix , thanks Moe
I thought they had this issue fixed, but in the early versions if your Wi-Fi name has spaces it wouldn’t connect. I had to make a guest account with no spaces (called my guest Wi-Fi “Rivian”) and it worked. Something to try anyway. I have had mine installed and on the guest Wi-Fi for months and it is working fine.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Does it really need to be on a 5Ghz band? At least the packets that I have sniffed, there isn't a lot of data going to and from the charger.

Also, 2.4 ghz does have a longer ranger, so for at least my use case it is better than 5 or 6 Ghz protocols.
It doesn't matter that it can only connect to the 2.4 Ghz network, as you say, small packets (except for when it updates its firmware, but that's pretty rare for the Wall Charger). The problem is that if you have a mixed network, meaning an SSID that operates on both the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks. In that case, the charger will have a hard time connecting to it. This is a known problem with older WiFi chipsets. I swear some developer 8 years ago introduced a bug in his code and we are all living with it now. At any rate, the answer is to have a dedicated 2.4 Ghz network SSID.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It doesn't matter that it can only connect to the 2.4 Ghz network, as you say, small packets (except for when it updates its firmware, but that's pretty rare for the Wall Charger). The problem is that if you have a mixed network, meaning an SSID that operates on both the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks. In that case, the charger will have a hard time connecting to it. This is a known problem with older WiFi chipsets. I swear some developer 8 years ago introduced a bug in his code and we are all living with it now. At any rate, the answer is to have a dedicated 2.4 Ghz network SSID.
Yeah, that's why I explicitly don't run a mixed network...

I've got 6 SSIDS to segregate all of my different devices...

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This isn't a problem unique to older chipsets.

Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
So where does the problem manifest itself? On chipsets that are 2.4Ghz only?
The combination of specific chipsets (new and old) and the specific implementation of band steering by the networking equipment manufacturer. This is demonstrated in the wifi for the truck itself. Some users have issues connecting to 5ghz networks or combined SSIDs while others have no issues at all. Even with the newer wifi 6 chipsets in both the truck and the mesh routers. I have seen much more issues with the newer mesh systems (Asus AI mesh, eero, nest, etc..) than with traditional systems like Unifi or Meraki.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I created a Rivian specific wifi guest network at home for the truck itself and the charger.

Otisbrick

First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Physician
Did anyone ever get the wall charger online with an eero mesh network? I finally got to see my net work by disabling the blend for 15 minutes. Still shows is off-line on my Rivian app though.
Sponsored