Sponsored

Rivian Wall Charger--Anyone know who makes it??

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The chargers at rivian service centres and their other charging locations are apparently Clipper Creek, so it stands to reason that the wall charger that can be ordered with an R1 is made by the same company.
Highly unlikely. Clipper Creek is a budget brand with mostly "dumb chargers" (no payment or cloud connection). It wouldn't make sense for them to spend all their time integrating a dumb charger with their cloud system when they could build their own or select a different company.

The L2 chargers installed at the offices were installed years ago (probably picked the most budget option) and in Salida they are required to be installed to satisfy the agreement with the town. I wouldn't be surprised if Rivian rips and replaces them when their proprietary L2 chargers make it to production. So Rivian probably wanted to save some money knowing they will not be in the ground forever.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Which "cloud" features do you need for your charging situation? Are you willing to pay more for them?

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I'm not sure if Clipper Creek is a "budget brand" They are made in the U.S.A., a rarity, and have top of the line warranty. While I do not own one their construction specifications seem solid. Also the Rivian should take care of the "smarts" aspect within the BMS so additional connectivity may end up being unnecessary redundancy that introduces another point of failure.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Which "cloud" features do you need for your charging situation? Are you willing to pay more for them?
I don't really see any consumer oriented value add features per-se. However, there would be tremendous value in terms of servicing/maintaining the units if their health can be monitored remotely. If the CC units don't support remote monitoring (and I don't know that they do or don't), how will service failures be reported and by who and how quickly will Rivian be able to have them repaired or replaced? The real value of a connected charger at a public installation such as in Salida would be the ability to quickly detect and remediate any service failures, acts of vandalism, etc.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
That was my point. These vehicles are going to have a pretty sophisticated smart phone app with which you will be able to start and stop charging, set charging limit, schedule charging (the competition has all this) and perhaps even be able to set charging speed (the competition doesn't have this). What do I need WiFi connectivity to the EVSE for? The one thing that would be nice is to be able to accumulate statistics on how much energy flowed through the EVSE and there are other ways to get that.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I'm not sure if Clipper Creek is a "budget brand" They are made in the U.S.A., a rarity, and have top of the line warranty.
We like our Clipper Creek. It is a solid charger.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I don't really see any consumer oriented value add features per-se. However, there would be tremendous value in terms of servicing/maintaining the units if their health can be monitored remotely. If the CC units don't support remote monitoring (and I don't know that they do or don't), how will service failures be reported and by who and how quickly will Rivian be able to have them repaired or replaced?
I am not familiar with the CC line but many of the others have various diagnostic lights which flash in various patterns to tell an observer what's going on. The surest indication of a failure is that the vehicle can't charge and this is indicated by the vehicle' app

The real value of a connected charger at a public installation such as in Salida would be the ability to quickly detect and remediate any service failures, acts of vandalism, etc.
There you might want to have remote connectivity and in a hotel or restaurant or appartment building you might want to be able to do billing and/or power sharing etc. I'll note that Telsa Gen3 HPWC have had WiFi since they came out a couple of years ago and such features have been promised for the future since then but at this point they have not been delivered. WiFi is only used to commission the unit and update firmware.

As I said I don't know anything about the CC units but as one can buy devices that contain a WiFi stack for a couple of bucks I wouldn't be surprised if the CC EVSE had it too.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm pretty sure the charger spec'ed in the proposal to City of Salida had Rivian-branded L2 chargers.

My guess is that this is a stop gap & will be replaced at some point. Possibility is that supplies might be limited for the Rivian EVSEs and that those will be allocated to R1 customers.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’m doing my hypothetical shopping for a charger and noticed Wallbox is releasing a new charger tomorrow. It hits the specs that the Rivian has (48amp, 25ft cable). Maybe it’s the same unit without the Rivian logo.

Any suggestions for a 48amp 25ft charger to help me get ready for my truck? I’m thinking of installing at my cabin this fall before it snows this winter. I’m hopeful my max pack shows up Jan2021 like it still says on my configuration. Rivian’s $500 charger price point probably can’t be beat. I’m hoping they will sell me two of them.

The 25 ft spec is fairly critical for me. 48amp is nice. my house is a little far from the driveway; no garage. I’m also going to need a 20ft J1772 extension in situations the plow leaves a huge pile.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger--Anyone know who makes it?? PNG image

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Highly unlikely. Clipper Creek is a budget brand with mostly "dumb chargers" (no payment or cloud connection). It wouldn't make sense for them to spend all their time integrating a dumb charger with their cloud system when they could build their own or select a different company.

The L2 chargers installed at the offices were installed years ago (probably picked the most budget option) and in Salida they are required to be installed to satisfy the agreement with the town. I wouldn't be surprised if Rivian rips and replaces them when their proprietary L2 chargers make it to production. So Rivian probably wanted to save some money knowing they will not be in the ground forever.
I noticed Wallbox‘s installation partner is QMerit, which Rivian has announced as their charger installer. probably not a coincidence.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I’m hopeful my max pack shows up Jan2021 like it still says on my configuration.
It very likely states that deliveries start in Jan 2022.
Actual delivery timeframe will be given during guide contact. I think it likely that the Max pack is pushed out a bit with minimal LE overlap.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I’m doing my hypothetical shopping for a charger ...

Any suggestions for a 48amp 25ft charger to help me get ready for my truck?

The 25 ft spec is fairly critical for me. 48amp is nice. my house is a little far from the driveway; no garage. I’m also going to need a 20ft J1772 extension in situations the plow leaves a huge pile.

PNG image.png
I've installed the Pulsar 40A unit and can attest that it is a neat package that does charge my Tesla, has a plenty long cable and measures and keeps track of your energy utilization.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger--Anyone know who makes it?? IMG_1547.PNG
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger--Anyone know who makes it?? IMG_1546

clover00

First Name
Clover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Occupation
Computer engineer
@Sky! You should try Grizzl-E Level 2 EV Charger. I liked the fact that one could choose the output of the charger by toggling the switches. The unit came preset at 40 amps (50 amp breaker), but to use this amperage 8/3 conductor wire is required, very much more difficult to work with on a self install. Since I do not require the "faster" charge I used 10/3 wire and set the toggle switches to 32 amps output (40 amp breaker).

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
@Sky! You should try Grizzl-E Level 2 EV Charger. I liked the fact that one could choose the output of the charger by toggling the switches. The unit came preset at 40 amps (50 amp breaker), but to use this amperage 8/3 conductor wire is required, very much more difficult to work with on a self install. Since I do not require the "faster" charge I used 10/3 wire and set the toggle switches to 32 amps output (40 amp breaker).
8/3 is not difficult to work with at all. In fact I installed ROMEX 6/3 when I did my wall connector of my Tesla. Still not difficult to work with.

Lexcyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV
Does anyone have any indication when the wall charger will be available for purchase on their website? I plan on doing some renos this summer and it would be nice if I could install it then.
Sponsored