Sponsored

Rivian Wall Charger--Anyone know who makes it??

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It will have a J1772 connector and will, thus, charge any J1772 equipped BEV which is pretty much all of them except Tesla and a holdout or 2 still clinging to CHAdeMO. It will be able to charge Teslas using the J1772/Tesla adapter that ships with every Tesla. Coversely, a Tesla HPWC ($500) will charge J1772 vehicles with an adaptor called a TeslaTap.
CHAdeMO is only for DCFC. All EVs using it have a seperate J1772 connector (needing only one connector is a big reason CCS overtook CHAdeMO)
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Indeed they do. Forgot that little detail so I guess the Rivian charger will charge any BEV vehicle on the road in the US including the remaining CHAdeMO ones.

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

I checked the box to include that Rivian wall charger for $500, but Iā€™m sure wrestling with just having a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage and using the portable charger that comes with the vehicle - that setup would be fine for my around-town daily needs. I could then go to a local fast charger the few times a year I might need to top up before a long out-of-town trip. Heck, I could probably get along fine just using a standard 120V outletā€¦ ?
U100ā€¦not to go off topic, but noticed a fellow Okie and wanted to give a shout outā€¦Iā€™m in Edmond, going with Rivian Blue/Coast interiorā€¦preorder date late 2020?, when was your order date? Iā€™m sure gonna stalk any R1T I see in my hood, if I dont get mine first! ?

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Yes, the Pulsar Plus does seem like a good unit. There is one caveat that goes with it, however. There is an exception in the NEC which allows a NEMA 14-50R to be installed on a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit. If installed on a 40 A circuit the maximum allowable charging rate is 32 A. This is why the later generation Tesla UMC with the 14-50R adapter only delivers (or, to be precise, allows the car to take) 32A (earlier versions allowed 40). As you can see from the screen shot below the app allows one to dial in 40 A as the maximum charging rate even though he might be plugged into NEMA 14-50R wired to a 40 A circuit.
IMG_8CA17C0D7D46-1.jpeg

Thus it becomes the responsibility of the consumer to check the circuit into which he wants to plug the Pulsar. I guess if he plugs it into a 40A circuit he is in violation of NEC.

This all suggest that the Rivian unit may not be made by WallBox as it is capable of 48 A charging and the Pulsar Plus, the only thing Wallbox is selling in the States that I know of, is plug in and thus only capable of 40 A. In choosing the Pulsar I limited myself to less than the maximum the Rivian (or Tesla) could take but decided to go that route as I thought the WallBox capable and reasonably priced. I installed it hard wired as I think that makes for a slightly neater looking set up. Not that plug in units aren't neat too. Here's a pic of a plug-in Tesla HPWC (they no longer offer a plug in version)
IMG_1110.JPG
What is that other funny looking device on the right side of the wall????

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired

Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
U100ā€¦not to go off topic, but noticed a fellow Okie and wanted to give a shout outā€¦Iā€™m in Edmond, going with Rivian Blue/Coast interiorā€¦preorder date late 2020?, when was your order date? Iā€™m sure gonna stalk any R1T I see in my hood, if I dont get mine first! ?
Iā€™m in Tulsa and preordered a white/Black Mountain interior R1T in May ā€˜20 - I would definitely agree to meet up as soon as the first of us takes delivery!

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
So what is the consensus on the rivian charger vs a juicebox 40 amp unit? I already have one of those for my Pacifica.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So what is the consensus on the rivian charger vs a juicebox 40 amp unit? I already have one of those for my Pacifica.
If you already have a charger and are either replacing your Pacifica or don't need to charge two vehicles at once, then just keep what you have.

However, if you were in the market for a new EVSE then the Rivian one (on paper) looks quite compelling.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I think the only consensus is that there is no consensus. There are so many ways to skin this cat. The only advantage to the Rivian charger vis a vis several other solutions that I can see is that it matches your truck.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
I think the only consensus is that there is no consensus. There are so many ways to skin this cat. The only advantage to the Rivian charger vis a vis several other solutions that I can see is that it matches your truck.
Rivian charger is not a bad price for 48 amp unit, and a lot of people may wish to bundle in to their financing package.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Rivian charger is not a bad price for 48 amp unit, and a lot of people may wish to bundle in to their financing package.
I agree with the price. I have not been able to find a 48 amp even close to that price. Most of the 40 amp chargers are even higher. My first question to the guide is can I get 2 of them.

@cwinters if you already have a 40 AMP charger setup, then I would probably just stay with that. The difference between 40 and 48 amps is 9kwh verses 11 kwh so maybe 4.5 miles an hour on a Rivian.

You also need to factor in the wiring being used for the existing charger. It is probably on a 50amp circuit, you would need to know if the wiring is capable of supporting a 60 amp circuit otherwise you would either need to rewire that run, install a new run, or limit the Rivian charger to the same 40 amp limit.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I agree with the price. I have not been able to find a 48 amp even close to that price.
Tesla HPWC

My first question to the guide is can I get 2 of them.

@cwinters if you already have a 40 AMP charger setup, then I would probably just stay with that. The difference between 40 and 48 amps is 9kwh verses 11 kwh so maybe 4.5 miles an hour on a Rivian.

You also need to factor in the wiring being used for the existing charger. It is probably on a 50amp circuit, you would need to know if the wiring is capable of supporting a 60 amp circuit otherwise you would either need to rewire that run, install a new run, or limit the Rivian charger to the same 40 amp limit.
Seems your first question should be "Can they be commissioned for 40, 50 A circuits?" I'd be surprised if the answer is "no" but I'd want to check on that. I don't see any reason why they can't release the detailed specs on these now. I imaging I'm not the only one building/remodeling a garage now in anticipation of delivery.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Tesla HPWC

Seems your first question should be "Can they be commissioned for 40, 50 A circuits?" I'd be surprised if the answer is "no" but I'd want to check on that. I don't see any reason why they can't release the detailed specs on these now. I imaging I'm not the only one building/remodeling a garage now in anticipation of delivery.
I did not count the Tesla as it has the proprietary connecter and would require an adapter. I was actually speculating Rivian would match that price on their charger and was glad to see they did (at least initially).

I currently get plenty of speed on the portable charger for the Model S so I never installed a wall charger. For the Rivian I have decided I want to go with the 48 amp charger. One place I ran the wire to be able to do a 60 amp circuit, just need to replace the breaker when I hard wire the charger. The other place I have to run a new line as I currently only have a 30 amp 240 circuit.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I only mention the HPWC to point out, as I have before, that there are so many options.

Yes, the HPWC requires an adapter but I believe every Rivian owner will want one of these in his onboard kit. There are lots ot Tesla destination chargers out there. Bring up some area on Plugshare and display J1772's. The number of stations on the screen is indicated at the lower right. Now add Tesla (not SC's) and check the number again. For the New England area the number of charging opprotunities almost doubles.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The chargers at rivian service centres and their other charging locations are apparently Clipper Creek, so it stands to reason that the wall charger that can be ordered with an R1 is made by the same company.
Sponsored