Sponsored

Rivian Wall Charger--Anyone know who makes it??

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Not specific to the Rivian charger, but there is currently a 30% tax credit (IRS) on a charger and installation. I took advantage last year when I had solar installed and had an electrician run 240v to the garage when they upgraded my breaker panel. I put in a Chargepoint charger which has worked great with my BMW i3.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Not specific to the Rivian charger, but there is currently a 30% tax credit (IRS) on a charger and installation. I took advantage last year when I had solar installed and had an electrician run 240v to the garage when they upgraded my breaker panel. I put in a Chargepoint charger which has worked great with my BMW i3.
But good luck getting the form 8911 applied to your taxes with the common online tax companies. It isn't part of their DIY systems and you have to get "professional" assistance. I submitted an amendment to mine after the fact and still haven't gotten the extra return back 3 months later...

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
But good luck getting the form 8911 applied to your taxes with the common online tax companies. It isn't part of their DIY systems and you have to get "professional" assistance. I submitted an amendment to mine after the fact and still haven't gotten the extra return back 3 months later...
I used TurboTax and it was in the program and could fill it out and send it. But the IRS sent a calculation error letter saying I owed the exact amount claimed on the 8911! I called TurboTax and then the IRS and after a bunch of time on hold got the IRS to look at the return. had a hard time getting her to understand, but finally she looked at the return and said there was no 8911. After I insisted there was she went back and looked at the original elctronic submission and it was there but not in the file that she was looking at so she made a correction and said I didn;t owe anything. Since this was before the due date there werent penalties so nothing there to be removed. Just got a letter like 3 months later saying that was true as she could not email or provide anything to say that I didnt owe the extra. I thought is was OK and it turns out that it was.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, the Pulsar Plus does seem like a good unit. There is one caveat that goes with it, however. There is an exception in the NEC which allows a NEMA 14-50R to be installed on a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit. If installed on a 40 A circuit the maximum allowable charging rate is 32 A. This is why the later generation Tesla UMC with the 14-50R adapter only delivers (or, to be precise, allows the car to take) 32A (earlier versions allowed 40). As you can see from the screen shot below the app allows one to dial in 40 A as the maximum charging rate even though he might be plugged into NEMA 14-50R wired to a 40 A circuit.
IMG_8CA17C0D7D46-1.jpeg

Thus it becomes the responsibility of the consumer to check the circuit into which he wants to plug the Pulsar. I guess if he plugs it into a 40A circuit he is in violation of NEC.

This all suggest that the Rivian unit may not be made by WallBox as it is capable of 48 A charging and the Pulsar Plus, the only thing Wallbox is selling in the States that I know of, is plug in and thus only capable of 40 A. In choosing the Pulsar I limited myself to less than the maximum the Rivian (or Tesla) could take but decided to go that route as I thought the WallBox capable and reasonably priced. I installed it hard wired as I think that makes for a slightly neater looking set up. Not that plug in units aren't neat too. Here's a pic of a plug-in Tesla HPWC (they no longer offer a plug in version)
IMG_1110.JPG
What is that thing to the right of the charger? Is it operational?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
What is that thing to the right of the charger? Is it operational?
It is a primitive communication device called a “telephone”. It is not operational at the moment as the PBX it connects to got flooded.

Sponsored

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
The battery is 385 VDC, To plug into the house you have to have ± 120V AC which means you have to have an inverter (actually 2, one for + and one for - or alternatively a gounding transformer), You also need a bunch of control and safety stuff. A box like the WallBox Quasar contains the inverter and controil stuff as does the new Ford charger for their 150.

What some have done is obtain an inverter from Amazon, an auto parts or marine supplier and hook it to the 12V battery in their cars or trucks. This can be used to run a few small appliances such as a refrigerator or the fan and control system for a gas or oil burning furnace. Tesla has announced that doing this would void the warranty. More popular is a modest size gas or propane or multiple fuel generator. More and more people are installing larger (whole house) generators as with the modern automatic load shedding technology you can cover more house with a smaller generator than you could before. Generator sales are booming as things like the recent history in Texas and California erode confidence in the infrastructure.

V2H certainly sounds appealing at first but many feel that taking fuel from your getaway means to keep your youghurt warm is not such a good strategy in a protracted emergency situation. Others think it is salvation and there is, in some quarters, great enthusiasm for V2G as well as V2H. Ford has, of course, loudly proclaimed the virtues of their V2H solution (not fully ironed out yet, evidently) and one of the Japanese companies has built cars capable of V2G. But Rivian nor Tesla has announced anything along this line. If it become de rigueur they will eventually have to join the club but neither of them has so far. The cars themselves need some changes but they are minor, For V2H all that is required of the car is to have the battery connected to the pistol's DC pins when power is to be taken from it, augmentation to the software/firmware that controls this connection and augmentation to the communications and BMS software to control all this. V2G is much more complicated.

Around here we lose it lots in the summer too as powerful thunderstorms seem equally effective at toppling trees and shearing off branches as wet snow.
Here too. Having the option to power essentials in our home through an average (2-6 hour) outage is seriously appealing. We are in the sticks (this is an adventure vehicle after all, not everyone will live in a city or suburb) and have a well. No power no water. No water, no toilets. This, along with fold up back seats to allow for a cooler, dog crate, boxes, luggage, etc. are seriously appealing aspects of the Ford offering.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Most people can cover short outages easily and relatively inexpensively with a small generator, or if you are really anti - ice, Yeti battery pack. Your particular problem is the well. It is very probably 240 V. Many relatively small generators have 240 V outlets. The problem is how you get the 240 to the well connections (near the bladder tank) and in such a way that the generator is absolutely, positively, unquestionably isolated from the mains.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Most people can cover short outages easily and relatively inexpensively with a small generator, or if you are really anti - ice, Yeti battery pack. Your particular problem is the well. It is very probably 240 V. Many relatively small generators have 240 V outlets. The problem is how you get the 240 to the well connections (near the bladder tank) and in such a way that the generator is absolutely, positively, unquestionably isolated from the mains.
Put a 240v power cord on the well and plug it into the matching 240v normal power outlet for normal operation. During a power outage, unplug it from the outlet and plug it into the generator 240v outlet. Boom, total isolation. You could leave the generator just outside the well building so you wouldn't need an extension cord, probably.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Yes, and we have an 8000w “portable” generator, it’s just a pain to drag out and hook up for short outages.. It is difficult to find a 240 volt outlet in a generator with capacity of less than 4000w.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Put a 240v power cord on the well and plug it into the matching 240v normal power outlet for normal operation. During a power outage, unplug it from the outlet and plug it into the generator 240v outlet. Boom, total isolation. You could leave the generator just outside the well building so you wouldn't need an extension cord, probably.
Yes, that's a solution that would work and is safe if the connection to the well circuit is outdoors. Mine is in my basement so I'd have to run an extension cord.

Yes, and we have an 8000w “portable” generator, it’s just a pain to drag out and hook up for short outages..
It certainly is especially as outages seem to occur at night in a snow storm. You may have also noticed that as soon as you get all your gear set up the power comes back on. I dragged extension cords and moved generators out of the garage (don't run them in enclosed spaces) for years before I finally got, at great expense, a whole house system. If power goes out in the middle of the night I don't even know it until I see the e-mail from the generator the next morning. Worth every penny!

Sponsored

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes, that's a solution that would work and is safe if the connection to the well circuit is outdoors. Mine is in my basement so I'd have to run an extension cord.

It certainly is especially as outages seem to occur at night in a snow storm. You may have also noticed that as soon as you get all your gear set up the power comes back on. I dragged extension cords and moved generators out of the garage (don't run them in enclosed spaces) for years before I finally got, at great expense, a whole house system. If power goes out in the middle of the night I don't even know it until I see the e-mail from the generator the next morning. Worth every penny!
I understand! V2H might obviate the need to put in a larger propane tank and buy a whole-house generator for us, wouldn’t that be nice! We don’t need to worry about running down the Rivian battery as our usual draw is very-very low and we have ICE vehicles if we need to go anywhere. ,

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
There are many solutions to the problem. The individual has to decide what he is going to do, do it, live with solution if he finds it adequate and change it if he doesn't. V2H is not an option on the Rivians for now but they do have some 120V outlets in them. You could run some extension cords from those.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Total newbie to the EV world, so have lots of questions some might find dumb. Can the Rivian Wall Charger be used to charge other EVs (besides Tesla) without adaptors?

When it's my turn to take delivery of the R1S I ordered a few months ago (hopefully summer/fall of 2022), it will be my first ever EV. I am trying to figure out if it would be to get a "generic" charger since I am not sure if I will end up getting another Rivian after that. TIA.

LAX

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Total newbie to the EV world, so have lots of questions some might find dumb. Can the Rivian Wall Charger be used to charge other EVs (besides Tesla) without adaptors?

When it's my turn to take delivery of the R1S I ordered a few months ago (hopefully summer/fall of 2022), it will be my first ever EV. I am trying to figure out if it would be to get a "generic" charger since I am not sure if I will end up getting another Rivian after that. TIA.

LAX
It will charge any EV using CCS and J1772 connector.

At $500 dollars it is a bargain, you won’t find a 48 amp charger out there around 500, the ones I find are 700+.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
It will have a J1772 connector and will, thus, charge any J1772 equipped BEV which is pretty much all of them except Tesla and a holdout or 2 still clinging to CHAdeMO. It will be able to charge Teslas using the J1772/Tesla adapter that ships with every Tesla. Coversely, a Tesla HPWC ($500) will charge J1772 vehicles with an adaptor called a TeslaTap.
Sponsored