Sponsored

Rivian Waiting Room: Have you pre-ordered with deposit?

What have you pre-ordered?

• Total voters

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Tesla is up to 250,000 now.

But those are funny numbers and not directly comparable to Rivian's. Tesla requires only a $100 deposit vs Rivian's $1000. That makes a big difference. Lots of folks will put down $100 just for the heck of it. Calculations saying Tesla's orders represent $14 billion are also bogus: I expect only a fairly small fraction of those preorders will end up as actual sales.
Tesla had over 500k Model 3 reservations by the time they started production and lost roughly 33%. At the rate the C is going they will be close to that number of reservations I bet.
Sponsored

Chalsean

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Well the $100 is most likely because actual production could be years away ...... IMHO
Yep totally agree. They're at least a year behind Rivian and might have played a role in such a low reservation amount

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Yep totally agree. They're at least a year behind Rivian and might have played a role in such a low reservation amount
I think one of the major reasons for the low reservation amount is stock market games. If they took more money then it would be stated that Tesla is broke and needs the people to fund the expansion. By only doing a $100 it reduces those comments to a whisper.
My guess is they will ship within 6-12 months max apart.

Tesla has also shifted the tri motor by one year forward so it’s now shipping in 2021. For those that say that Tesla is always late. I would say they have been working quickly to put that in their past as fast as possible. Rumors have it the model Y will start shipping 6 months earlier.

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
Tesla has also shifted the tri motor by one year forward so it’s now shipping in 2021. .
I seriously doubt they will be shipping the 3 motor in Spring 2021 :CWL:

Sponsored

Chalsean

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Tesla has also shifted the tri motor by one year forward so it’s now shipping in 2021. For those that say that Tesla is always late. I would say they have been working quickly to put that in their past as fast as possible. Rumors have it the model Y will start shipping 6 months earlier.
Wasn't saying anything about their ability to produce or their past, they simply started later, announced later, etc. Their cycle is a year behind Rivian because they started their cycle later.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Wasn't saying anything about their ability to produce or their past, they simply started later, announced later, etc. Their cycle is a year behind Rivian because they started their cycle later.
Rivian is from what I have read starting Fall 2020 and Spring 2021. At first it was most expensive Config will ship first but individuals where told at the events the 180 version will be 2021. So that to me if it holds true that delay is a 6 months.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Also keep in mind that Tesla recently reduced their deposits across the board from $1000 refundable to $100 non-refundable. Since CT is still a concept, it makes sense for the reservations/pre-orders to be refundable but the reduced amount didn't necessarily have anything to do with CT specifically.

Chalsean

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Rivian is from what I have read starting Fall 2020 and Spring 2021. At first it was most expensive Config will ship first but individuals where told at the events the 180 version will be 2021. So that to me if it holds true that delay is a 6 months.
At face value I guess. Sure go with it, 6 months. I haven't heard which facility they are building CT and the semi in, I'd be curious to know. Model Y is reusing most of Model 3 components from my understanding, so that makes it easy to ramp quickly in the same facility. But if they can come in Spring 2021, kudos to them.

Chalsean

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Also keep in mind that Tesla recently reduced their deposits across the board from $1000 refundable to $100 non-refundable. Since CT is still a concept, it makes sense for the reservations/pre-orders to be refundable but the reduced amount didn't necessarily have anything to do with CT specifically.
Just speculation on my part mate. Your guess is as good as mine.

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
At face value I guess. Sure go with it, 6 months. I haven't heard which facility they are building CT and the semi in, I'd be curious to know. Model Y is reusing most of Model 3 components from my understanding, so that makes it easy to ramp quickly in the same facility. But if they can come in Spring 2021, kudos to them.
Especially since a lot of model 3 production that would ship to China anyway will be built there in the future. Which could be what the Model Y rumors of being 6 months early is from.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Not quite... the S, X and 3 are available, so you are actually ordering with your $100. With the Y and Cybertruck you are reserving one. Y is still $2,500 to reserve. So $100 reservation fee for Cybertruck is not explained by reduction in available models order fee.

Personally, I think it was to achieve maximum reservation numbers in response to Rivian.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Not quite... the S, X and 3 are available, so you are actually ordering with your $100. With the Y and Cybertruck you are reserving one. Y is still $2,500 to reserve. So $100 reservation fee for Cybertruck is not explained by reduction in available models order fee.

Personally, I think it was to achieve maximum reservation numbers in response to Rivian.
This is why I made distinct use of the terms deposit and reservation. However, I was not aware that the reservation fee for Y is still $2500. This would indeed seem to support that the dollar amount for CT was all about achieving max number of reservations.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I ordered the R1T before all the info came out. Now I'm a little disappointed that the bed is only 4.7ft long. I also ordered the Tesla Cybertruck which has a 6.5ft bed but only Tri-motor, no qaud motor as an option. So, hopefully they will fill each other's shortcomings

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I ordered the R1T before all the info came out. Now I'm a little disappointed that the bed is only 4.7ft long
Out of curiousity, what "info" are you referring to? If you are referring to the RIvian bed, the dimensions of the bed have been common knowledge since the beginning. Rivian's FAQ is chock full of information as well. I suggest you head over there if you haven't already. It is a good read.
Sponsored