First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Blademaster
My EVSE is, and has been for six years, the most expensive thing in my house from a pure kWh perspective. The AC in the summer is close, because it runs for large chunks of the day and I limit charging to 12-5am.

Since my R1T came home, it's consumed 757 kWh. My fridge is barely at 100. (my wife's underused Model 3 is at 65.8 kWh.)
Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
That comparison means nothing in real life though. Although a gallon of gasoline contains the potential energy equivalent to 33.7kwh it cannot be extracted efficiently into actual usable electrical energy.
It's still a valid comparison though. If your gas powered vehicle can't fully utilize the energy in gasoline it's not the fault of gasoline, it's the inefficiency of the vehicle. The energy is still there and being used even if it's wasted.

Electric cars are simply much better in that respect, with 80-90% grid to driving efficiency.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I guess articles like this have some value to illustrate concepts of what kWh usage translate to. But I'm not using my Rivian to store groceries, nor am I driving my Thermador fridge to work or vacation, so the value of that comparison is minimal IMO. 🤔
You haven't lived until you hit 88MPH on a Thermador
Sponsored