Sponsored

Iatros786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, 997 Turbo, Q7
Clubs

Interesting article about average annual electricity consumption of EVs vs other household appliances. Anyone know where our Rivians are in this mix?

Quote :
Here’s the breakdown of how much electricity each of six popular electric vehicle models would use annually using this model:

Tesla Model 3: 3,566 kWh at 0.25 kWh per mile
Chevrolet Bolt: 3,994 kWh at 0.28 kWh per mile
Tesla Model Y: 3,994 kWh at 0.28 kWh per mile
Nissan Leaf: 4,279 kWh at 0.30 kWh per mile
Ford Mustang Mach-E: 5,135 kWh at 0.36 kWh per mile
Ford F-150 Lightning: 7,274 kWh at 0.51 kWh per mile

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian vs Tesla vs Frigidaire?! (Average annual electricity consumption) b5f55734-edd9-4425-8faf-1d653d39f83f_1140x641
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My electric bill has definitely gone up with the R1T vs the Chevy Bolt.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Ours has gone up too. But part of the problem is that the Tesla has been on BG&Es evPulse off-peak charging rates and the Rivian still isn’t on their list of participating chargers/vehicles for some reason. Can’t understand why they’re dragging their feet since it just means we’re paying more per mooohhhh wait… now I get it.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I guess articles like this have some value to illustrate concepts of what kWh usage translate to. But I'm not using my Rivian to store groceries, nor am I driving my Thermador fridge to work or vacation, so the value of that comparison is minimal IMO. 🤔

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Mine is at .57kwh/mi - works out to 8130kwh per year using the same mileage as the article.

That’s more than double my yearly electrical use from my last house.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The more interesting comparison (to me) would be idle energy use of my R1T (vampire drain) compared to other appliances in my house.

If you assume around 2%/day that would equate to ~2.5kWh/day or ~900kWh/year. I guess in my household that puts it 3rd in energy consumption relative to my clothes dryer and central air. So yes it’s negligible relative to the energy it took to drive 27k miles in the last year but it’s definitely not insignificant.

Charged

First Name
Mal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, Rivian R1T
Clubs

I guess articles like this have some value to illustrate concepts of what kWh usage translate to. But I'm not using my Rivian to store groceries, nor am I driving my Thermador fridge to work or vacation, so the value of that comparison is minimal IMO. 🤔
Exactly. So the more relevant comparison is the energy equivalent usage of a gasoline-fueled vehicle of the same class. e.g., the EPA-estimated fuel consumption of the popular 3L 6-cyl version of the F150 is 20 mpg city/hwy. Driving the national average 14263 miles/year, that F150 would burn 14263/20=713.15 gallons of gas, which when multiplied by 33.7 kWh (the EPA's estimated energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline) results in an annual energy consumption of 24,033 kWh.

So by my calculation the Lightning consumes ~30% (7274/24033) of the energy consumed by it's gas-powered equivalent.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The future is EVs charging when electricity availability is high. EVs don't really compare to big consumers like AC that must run on demand.

Cheap electricity is low carbon. So a scheme that simply prices electricity based on cost achieves the low carbon goal.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Exactly. So the more relevant comparison is the energy equivalent usage of a gasoline-fueled vehicle of the same class. e.g., the EPA-estimated fuel consumption of the popular 3L 6-cyl version of the F150 is 20 mpg city/hwy. Driving the national average 14263 miles/year, that F150 would burn 14263/20=713.15 gallons of gas, which when multiplied by 33.7 kWh (the EPA's estimated energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline) results in an annual energy consumption of 24,033 kWh.

So by my calculation the Lightning consumes ~30% (7274/24033) of the energy consumed by it's gas-powered equivalent.
That comparison means nothing in real life though. Although a gallon of gasoline contains the potential energy equivalent to 33.7kwh it cannot be extracted efficiently into actual usable electrical energy.

Charged

First Name
Mal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, Rivian R1T
Clubs

That comparison means nothing in real life though. Although a gallon of gasoline contains the potential energy equivalent to 33.7kwh it cannot be extracted efficiently into actual usable electrical energy.
And yet the EPA thought it was valuable to introduce the notion of MPGe. Clearly they see some educational value in the comparison, even if you can't simply empty the gas tank and convert it to equivalent electrical energy.

Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I installed an Emporia energy monitor a couple years ago, and it's been interesting to see how much things use. We have a bmw I3 that we use for as many errands as possible, so around 15k miles per year and basically only charge at home. With the energy monitor all the associated energy use is captured, including preheating and charger losses. This screen shot shows last year. In December I finished installing mini splits so this year the solar won't cover all our use. It's probably worth noting that our pool has a heat pump water heater, and we have a hot tub. Also the 'furnace' circuit is primarily the evaporative cooler, or 'swamp cooler'. Also the fridge circuit had a lot higher draw last winter because of a space heater, while during the summer the fridge uses about 70kwh per month.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian vs Tesla vs Frigidaire?! (Average annual electricity consumption) Screenshot_20230219_174647_Emporia Energy

Last edited:

sillygoose

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
My month of January results for an all electric home:
- two Mustang Mach-E's in the garage
- geothermal heat pump with resistive backup
- about breakeven with 26,000 kWh of solar production in 2022
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian vs Tesla vs Frigidaire?! (Average annual electricity consumption) 1676868665957

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Interesting article about average annual electricity consumption of EVs vs other household appliances. Anyone know where our Rivians are in this mix?

Quote :
Here’s the breakdown of how much electricity each of six popular electric vehicle models would use annually using this model:

Tesla Model 3: 3,566 kWh at 0.25 kWh per mile
Chevrolet Bolt: 3,994 kWh at 0.28 kWh per mile
Tesla Model Y: 3,994 kWh at 0.28 kWh per mile
Nissan Leaf: 4,279 kWh at 0.30 kWh per mile
Ford Mustang Mach-E: 5,135 kWh at 0.36 kWh per mile
Ford F-150 Lightning: 7,274 kWh at 0.51 kWh per mile

b5f55734-edd9-4425-8faf-1d653d39f83f_1140x641.jpg
Is it because of the heaviness of the vehicles?

Jhawk

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Highlander, Tundra
Occupation
Marketing
Mine is at .57kwh/mi - works out to 8130kwh per year using the same mileage as the article.

That’s more than double my yearly electrical use from my last house.
Similar for us. The R1T is one heavy beast. One month and 2600mi in and we are averaging about .525kwh/mi compared to .343kwh/mi on our old Model S.

No complaints here though because the R1T is much more comfortable for me and we are loving the increased range. Took the R1T on a weekend basketball tournament trip that was 225mi one way. Our hotel had Level2 charging on site so we never had to worry about any stops for fast charging. That wouldn’t have been possible on our old Model S and we would have driven our Highlander instead.

Andy96734

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX 90D 2016
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Well, that settles it—taking the water heater on the next grocery run! As energy monitor shows (SolarEdge in use here with solar) Those applicants barely register whereas the EV charging always way and above is the highest consumption item.
Sponsored