timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Are vehicle's ending serial numbers typically designated by model or overall production sequence?
Each model typically has its own sequence. Most manufacturers reset the sequence with each model year but it wouldn't surprise me if Rivian copies Tesla's approach and keeps it a running total.
Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
agree - seems odd
All the vehicle details, including battery pack size, are included in the infotainment menu. Not to mention it will be obvious from the range of the vehicle.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Opens up the idea of unlocking battery capacity as a paid option.

Sponsored

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
Can anyone explain how the check digit comes into play? Are the last 6 # sequential or does the check digit reset the last six?
I was finally able to find Rivian's VIN deciphering document in the NHTSA database. This all but confirms the initial deliveries will be sold as 2022 model year, and includes some other interesting information. Updated 8/27/21 to include R1S.

PositionContent DescriptionAssigned Values
1-3​
World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI)​
7FC - Rivian, Vehicle Type: Truck
4​
Model Line / Body Style​
T - R1T 4-door Pickup Truck
5​
GVWR / Brake System​
G - 8,001-9,000 lbs.; Hydraulic Brakes
6​
Engine / Motor / Drivetrain​
A - Electric, Quad-Motor, AWD
B - Electric, Dual-motor, AWD
7​
Restraints​
A - 2x front airbags; 2x knee airbags; 2x front row side airbags; 2x curtain airbags;
2x front row 3-point seat belts; 3x second row 3-point seat belts.
8​
Trim​
A - Adventure
E - Explore
L - Launch Edition
9​
Check Digit​
Calculated based on values of remaining 16 characters
10​
Model Year​
N - 2022
P - 2023
11​
Manufacturing Plant​
N - Normal, IL
12-17​
Serial Number​
000001 - 999999

PositionContent DescriptionAssigned Values
1-3World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI)7PD - Rivian, Vehicle Type: Multi-Purpose Passenger Vehicle (MPV)
4Model Line / Body StyleS - R1S 4-door MPV
5GVWR / Brake SystemG - 8,001-9,000 lbs.; Hydraulic Brakes
6Engine / Motor / DrivetrainA - Electric, Quad-Motor, AWD
B - Electric, Dual-motor, AWD
7RestraintsA - 2x front airbags; 2x knee airbags; 2x front row side airbags; 2x curtain airbags;
2x front row 3-point seat belts; 3x second row 3-point seat belts.
B - 2x front airbags; 2x knee airbags; 2x front row side airbags; 2x curtain airbags;
2x front row 3-point seat belts; 3x second row 3-point seat belts; 2x third row 3-point seat belts.
8TrimA - Adventure
E - Explore
L - Launch Edition
9Check DigitCalculated based on values of remaining 16 characters
10Model YearN - 2022
P - 2023
11Manufacturing PlantN - Normal, IL
12-17Serial Number000001 - 999999
Can you explain how the check digit comes into play? Are the last 6 # sequential or does the check digit reset the last six? ie does a VIN that ends in 005678 signify that it was produced after 001234 or does the check digit restart the sequence and you can have multiple combinations?

OP
OP

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Can you explain how the check digit comes into play? Are the last 6 # sequential or does the check digit reset the last six? ie does a VIN that ends in 005678 signify that it was produced after 001234 or does the check digit restart the sequence and you can have multiple combinations?
There is a complicated formula to determine the check digit. Essentially it is a weighted sum of all the other digits that results in a number 0-9 or X. This is then used to verify a VIN is valid rather than just a random string of letters and numbers.

The last six digits affect the check digit, not the other way around. They are effectively the serial number of the truck, and while they are theoretically issued in sequential order, they are not necessarily produced in that exact order and it's possible that some numbers may be skipped and not built.

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
There is a complicated formula to determine the check digit. Essentially it is a weighted sum of all the other digits that results in a number 0-9 or X. This is then used to verify a VIN is valid rather than just a random string of letters and numbers.

The last six digits affect the check digit, not the other way around. They are effectively the serial number of the truck, and while they are theoretically issued in sequential order, they are not necessarily produced in that exact order and it's possible that some numbers may be skipped and not built.
Thanks for the explanation, why are we getting vins assigned with numbers in the 2000 range, when most vins being delivered are in the 4 & 5 k range?

OP
OP

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Thanks for the explanation, why are we getting vins assigned with numbers in the 2000 range, when most vins being delivered are in the 4 & 5 k range?
There could have been a parts availability issue that caused production to be delayed after the VIN was assigned, or the truck has in fact been built for a few months and the logistics of matching the configuration with your location took that long.

Sponsored

Big Bad VooDoo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
Got vin# 013498
Interesting, R1Shop had a R1S with a Vin in the very low 8000s. I purchased it last week. Wonder when that was first built? Also wonder where they are currently. Just for giggles.

Alieti

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I4, Rivian R1S
So I am picking up a 2023 R1S this Saturday with Vin number ending in 000253. There’s no way this would be a super early model correct?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
So I am picking up a 2023 R1S this Saturday with Vin number ending in 000253. There’s no way this would be a super early model correct?
Early R1S in 2023, yes.

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Interesting, R1Shop had a R1S with a Vin in the very low 8000s. I purchased it last week. Wonder when that was first built? Also wonder where they are currently. Just for giggles.
Picking up a P (2023) Vin 98xx. Got it off the shop this past Tuesday, I can deduce it came off the floor as it was first inspected (factory floor?) then the Normal Service Center did a quality check.

iforbes

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
APRN
Clubs

So a 2023 model T with a serial number in the 23,000s would indicate that Rivian is well on its way to 50,000 vehicles produced?
Sponsored