timf

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I was finally able to find Rivian's VIN deciphering document in the NHTSA database. This all but confirms the initial deliveries will be sold as 2022 model year, and includes some other interesting information. The R1S is not included yet.

PositionContent DescriptionAssigned Values
1-3​
World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI)​
7FC - Rivian, Vehicle Type: Truck
4​
Model Line / Body Style​
T - R1T 4-door Pickup Truck
5​
GVWR / Brake System​
G - 8,001-9,000 lbs.; Hydraulic Brakes
6​
Engine / Motor / Drivetrain​
A - Electric, Quad-Motor, AWD
B - Electric, Dual-motor, AWD
7​
Restraints​
A - 2x front airbags; 2x knee airbags; 2x front row side airbags; 2x curtain airbags;
2x front row 3-point seat belts; 3x second row 3-point seat belts.
8​
Trim​
A - Adventure
E - Explore
L - Launch Edition
9​
Check Digit​
Calculated based on values of remaining 16 characters
10​
Model Year​
N - 2022
P - 2023
11​
Manufacturing Plant​
N - Normal, IL
12-17​
Serial Number​
000000 - 999999

Advertisement

Riviot

Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Disco 2
Now can you get on epa.gov or fueleconomy.gov and get those numbers? My site: searches are falling flat

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Now that IS interesting.
Yep, caught my eye too. Must either be a hedge, or a sign of things to come for lower-priced models.

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Seems odd to me that the battery size pack info isn't included in the VIN. What a pain in the ass to confirm as part of buying used...
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they updated drivetrain info (6th character) to include battery size.

cohall

Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60, Ducati SC1000
Yep, caught my eye too. Must either be a hedge, or a sign of things to come for lower-priced models.
Since this VIN is specific to the truck, I immediately think back to that smaller cab version we saw doing winter testing. Small cab, 2 motors, cheap and fast.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicles
2010 Nissan Xterra (El Cap R1T Max pack)
I'm thinking it might be for their R2R as its been coined. A smaller "rally" type car wouldn't need the added motors to achieve the same power to weight ratio. And it frees up space for an extra cooler or duffel bag in the Ultimate Lightbar Super Adventure Power Frunk

CommodoreAmiga

Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
I'm thinking it might be for their R2R as its been coined. A smaller "rally" type car wouldn't need the added motors to achieve the same power to weight ratio. And it frees up space for an extra cooler or duffel bag in the Ultimate Lightbar Super Adventure Power Frunk
That would have a different letter in position 4 of the VIN. Seems odd to disclose the 2 motor VIN indicator with only the R1T indicator (not even R1S) unless it applied to the R1T.

Advertisement

Advertisement