Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I am still bummed about lack of carplay. Text / Phone / Music integration really works well with carplay / android auto.

With that said, those videos make the system seem intuitive, pretty and fairly snappy.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
This is a pretty good sequence of video. This may be the most directly and practical bit of information I've seen Rivian release directly in almost a year. The R1T User Guide was great but we had to dig through it for information on our own. In this video series, Rivian is directly telling us for the first time in a long time.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I am still bummed about lack of carplay. Text / Phone / Music integration really works well with carplay / android auto.

With that said, those videos make the system seem intuitive, pretty and fairly snappy.
The R1T User Guide essentially confirmed for me that we can use USB sticks as a source but I would have appreciated if they had told us that directly in these videos.

I am sympathetic to those wanting Carplay/AndroidAuto but I think the built-in interface will suffice for me so long as I can have my own music on USB.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thank you!

Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The R1T User Guide essentially confirmed for me that we can use USB sticks as a source but I would have appreciated if they had told us that directly in these videos.

I am sympathetic to those wanting Carplay/AndroidAuto but I think the built-in interface will suffice for me so long as I can have my own music on USB.
For me it is 3 main features:
1. Text integration. Having the car read you your texts and being able to dictate replies is really nice and makes it so you aren't tempted to touch the phone while driving
2. 3rd party navigation apps. If Rivian's maps update for free and the navigation is on par with google maps / apple maps / waze for turn by turn directions and traffic notifications I won't care about this one. But those are 2 big ifs.
3. Apple Music. My family has a subscription, so having streaming music for anything I want is great. That said, I can always use bluetooth on my phone for this if I want to. By far my lowest concern

There are a few other minor apps occasionally listen to while driving but bluetooth will definitely suffice for those.

None of these are deal breakers though

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
For me it is 3 main features:
1. Text integration. Having the car read you your texts and being able to dictate replies is really nice and makes it so you aren't tempted to touch the phone while driving
2. 3rd party navigation apps. If Rivian's maps update for free and the navigation is on par with google maps / apple maps / waze for turn by turn directions and traffic notifications I won't care about this one. But those are 2 big ifs.
3. Apple Music. My family has a subscription, so having streaming music for anything I want is great. That said, I can always use bluetooth on my phone for this if I want to. By far my lowest concern

There are a few other minor apps occasionally listen to while driving but bluetooth will definitely suffice for those.

None of these are deal breakers though
Navigation apps and/or robust functionality, including traffic information, is key for me (texts less so; maybe Slack). I drive an old manual wagon currently so am hypersensitive to stop and go traffic. Without a screen of my own I'm always pestering my passengers for traffic updates when things get slow. Would really like that to be a thing of the past!

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I really hope they've got a dark mode, and I can really dim the displays down a lot, especially at night. Also, I hope the navigation has an altimeter. I had that in an OEM system 20 years ago and haven't seen it since. Sure do miss that for some reason.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Navigation apps and/or robust functionality, including traffic information, is key for me (texts less so; maybe Slack). I drive an old manual wagon currently so am hypersensitive to stop and go traffic. Without a screen of my own I'm always pestering my passengers for traffic updates when things get slow. Would really like that to be a thing of the past!
I would be SHOCKED if real time traffic alerts weren't integrated. It just remains to be seen if it is as good as 3rd party apps.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
I would be SHOCKED if real time traffic alerts weren't integrated. It just remains to be seen if it is as good as 3rd party apps.
Yeah, I'm sure they will be, just want them to be at gmaps level, not 2010 BMW iDrive level!
Sponsored