Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
Thoughts on Nav/Android Auto/CarPlay.

Driving an EV, from a brand new company, is a different experience for a lot of people. Some may not be familiar with charging stations, where to find them, etc......

If you run out of electrons in your Rivian while using Apple Maps to navigate, who are you going to blame? Rivian. You'll blame the truck, fairly or unfairly.

Rivian doesn't want to put that info in the hands of others, when it's their brand and reputation that could be harmed.

Maybe the phone makers make giant strides in navigating to EV charging, and Rivian embraces a platform someday (unlikely, until Amazon's board votes get watered down in the IPO...), but I think it's smart that Rivian is controlling what they can as far as brand reputation and image.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Didn't I read that CarPlay may be added later?

Also looks like he's at the South San Francisco Rivian service center?

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
My biggest concerns:

- Everything is "cool" and looks super luxurious.
- No mention of integration with 3rd party apps (other than Spotify and TuneIn)
- Lack of physical interface and sole reliance on touchscreen is a BIG worry and annoyance for me. The annoyance factor, safety concerns, and potential issues with this is not minor. You could write a novel about why this isn't a great idea in a vehicle that a human drives using physical controls and their eyes.
-I find it hard to believe Rivian's navigation will be as good as or better than other navigation apps like Waze, Google, Apple. Plus, I really like being able to see the maps and route on my phone and type in the destination before getting in my car to see the route and the time to destination. I hope the Rivian App allows for this.
- Overall looks so sleek and nice.
- I am worried Rivian is trying to do too much here. This seems like it was designed with fully autonomous driving in mind; where the driver isn't occupied with driving. Or was designed for a co-pilot to use rather than a busy driver. Basic driving features should not be deep in a touchscreen UI (climate control, volume, drive mode, etc.). 95% of the time I am driving, I am the only one in my car. Everyone is different. But this just seems overkill. Especially for a intentional overland vehicle.
- Although cool, why make the air vent controls like this? What is wrong with physical air vent directional controls? It seems very unnecessary to make these powered and only accessible via a touchscreen interface. I can't imagine the cost to fix one of these air vents. And the annoyance factor of wanting to change the air but you have to wait until you get to a red light to adjust it.
- no volume physical knob is a huge miss in my opinion. This is my number one complaint.
- Typically, the more technology you add to things, the more places and opportunities for something to go wrong. And the more tech, the harder it is for a user to fix themselves. I don't like that Rivian is fully relying on one touch screen with custom UI to control so much of the vehicle.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Didn't I read that CarPlay may be added later?
Never count on something being available later. They were extremely non-committal and the gist I got was "We'll tell you it may happen later just to placate you, but unless we can't sell product and we determine CarPlay is the cause, then we're not actually going to implement it".

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My biggest concerns:

- Lack of physical interface and sole reliance on touchscreen is a BIG worry and annoyance for me. The annoyance factor, safety concerns, and potential issues with this is not minor. You could write a novel about why this isn't a great idea in a vehicle that a human drives using physical controls and their eyes.
-I find it hard to believe Rivian's navigation will be as good as or better than other navigation apps like Waze, Google, Apple. Plus, I really like being able to see the maps and route on my phone and type in the destination before getting in my car to see the route and the time to destination. I hope the Rivian App allows for this.
- I am worried Rivian is trying to do too much here. This seems like it was designed with fully autonomous driving in mind; where the driver isn't occupied with driving. Or was designed for a co-pilot to use rather than a busy driver. Basic driving features should not be deep in a touchscreen UI (climate control, volume, drive mode, etc.). 95% of the time I am driving, I am the only one in my car. Everyone is different. But this just seems overkill. Especially for a intentional overland vehicle.
- Although cool, why make the air vent controls like this? What is wrong with physical air vent directional controls? It seems very unnecessary to make these powered and only accessible via a touchscreen interface. I can't imagine the cost to fix one of these air vents. And the annoyance factor of wanting to change the air but you have to wait until you get to a red light to adjust it.
- no volume physical knob is a huge miss in my opinion. This is my number one complaint.
- Typically, the more technology you add to things, the more places and opportunities for something to go wrong. And the more tech, the harder it is for a user to fix themselves. I don't like that Rivian is fully relying on one touch screen with custom UI to control so much of the vehicle.
Seems to me they are duplicating almost exactly what Tesla did with the Model 3. It doesn't take long to get used to it IMO.

Volume can be controlled with the steering wheel nubs.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Never count on something being available later. They were extremely non-committal and the gist I got was "We'll tell you it may happen later just to placate you, but unless we can't sell product and we determine CarPlay is the cause, then we're not actually going to implement it".
Very true. However the fact that the hardware may be imbedded to allow a SW update to turn on CarPlay is encouraging if true.

I recall reading a while back that Tesla cars do not have the right hardware to ever enable CP - not that they would EVER offer it!

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I like how the map looks. Overall the UI looks pretty good and won't take much getting used to coming from a Model Y.

Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

My biggest concerns:

I agree with your overall sentiment. I am not worried about the lack of a volume button though. Steering wheel audio controls are ideal for this and are present.

I do much prefer temperature up / down and vent placement to be actual buttons you can use without looking for them.

I also find it unlikely that their maps will be as good as the biggest player in the space.

dsmithsalinas

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2023 Polestar 2
Occupation
Product Manager
My biggest complaint is the lack of Apple Music. I don't have to have "CarPlay", but I'm hesitant to settle on using bluetooth. ?‍♂

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I agree with your overall sentiment. I am not worried about the lack of a volume button though. Steering wheel audio controls are ideal for this and are present.

I do much prefer temperature up / down and vent placement to be actual buttons you can use without looking for them.

I also find it unlikely that their maps will be as good as the biggest player in the space.
BMW, Porsche, etc use mapbox but I agree, it would be nice to see nav by Garmin. ???

OP
OP
jagged

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

My biggest concerns:

While I can stream music from my phone via bluetooth using other apps, it's certainly not as convenient as having app integration. I might be willing to pay $10/month to Spotify for the convenience, but it is not something I relish when I already have it via another service. I currently pay for Youtube Premium, so it's not so much a matter of switching streaming services, as there are other benefits Youtube Premium provides.

Hopefully, given time, we'll see more 3rd party app integration! Spotify is the largest music streaming service so it certainly makes sense to target it for day 1 deliveries.