Tech

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I'm going to withhold judgement on all this stuff until I'm behind the wheel. The software controlled vents are pretty dumb, IMO. I tend to fiddle with the vents as necessary while driving. It's cloudy, I'm cold, adjust vent. Oh, sun's out, now I'm hot, adjust vent. Maybe I'll want to save some "profiles" (e.g. dogs are in the back) so set car to 'dog a/c mode' but having to navigate to a digital screen menu to make a vent blow 5 degrees to the right is kinda silly.

While I've been pretty satisfied with carplay, it's not perfect. Knee-capped Spotify interface and occasionally buggy connections are annoying, but it's generally been quite good. I don't have touchscreen so maybe that's the limiter. The hands-free text integration is nice but it's Apple so it doesn't support any other texting.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-road-trip-review/

"After we dumped the beach sand from our boots and restocked the beef jerky reserve, we pocketed the R1T's trick carabiner keyfob for an extra 900-ish-mile stint down the West Coast, both our hearts and Google Maps set for MotorTrend's home base in Los Angeles."

So do we think they were using their phones and not the internal nav?
I believe their drive was earlier this year. It's possible navigation wasn't ready yet.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Coming from a Model 3 (or any Tesla), everything Rivian showed here looks extremely familiar to Tesla's UX – and that's not a bad thing because I really like my Model 3's UI. Anyone coming from an older ICE car should be able to get used to things like touchscreen controls really quickly, I promise!

The only thing I'd love to see someday is an Apple Music app. They got Spotify in there for launch, but I have fingers crossed for Apple Music to be on their product roadmap considering it's got the other half of market share Spotify doesn't have.

No mention of bells-and-whistles stuff like Netflix or YouTube or Browser apps, but IMO none of those are requirements for their launch and totally lower priority and could be added anytime later and I'd be fine with it.
Well, I currently have Tidal and QoBuz and I suppose Amazon Music via prime. I really, really don’t want to have to pay for a 4th and a sync service. They took on the task of trying to integrate everything themselves - it’s going to be a nightmare.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
They don't do it them selves its a engine you can use/integrate for your environment/code. Its more of a platform used for creating games but you can also use it to create things like a UI for snappy response and amazing graphics.

Unreal Engine (UE4) is a complete suite of creation tools for game development, architectural and automotive visualization, linear film and television content creation, broadcast and live event production, training and simulation, and other real-time applications.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/download
Makes sense, most gave developers I read about like using Epic’s UE4 and I guess UE5 for the next gen consoles games that will be coming soon. It’s great to see automakers embracing it for their software suites. Hopefully that means we can stream (or play locally) some stuff off the main screen too. Curious to see what chips they have under the hood so to speak

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I hope they make like a stuffed toy gear guard guy to sell in the store. Here’s my vote for we need more gear guard guy in our lives!

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I'm going to withhold judgement on all this stuff until I'm behind the wheel. The software controlled vents are pretty dumb, IMO. I tend to fiddle with the vents as necessary while driving. It's cloudy, I'm cold, adjust vent. Oh, sun's out, now I'm hot, adjust vent. Maybe I'll want to save some "profiles" (e.g. dogs are in the back) so set car to 'dog a/c mode' but having to navigate to a digital screen menu to make a vent blow 5 degrees to the right is kinda silly.

While I've been pretty satisfied with carplay, it's not perfect. Knee-capped Spotify interface and occasionally buggy connections are annoying, but it's generally been quite good. I don't have touchscreen so maybe that's the limiter. The hands-free text integration is nice but it's Apple so it doesn't support any other texting.
Talking about vents, anyone know if there are vents for the 3rd row of the R1S and where are they located?
Sponsored