Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Update for a 19XXX VIN.

No 12v in the Frunk and No 12v in the cabin Under the main screen. The only 12v outlet still left on my R1T is in the gear tunnel.
Isn’t there a 12V under the rear climate controls.
Sponsored

josephponline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
thats a 120 plug.

Really surprised they got rid of the 12V under the main screen in the front... Website still lists 2 12V outlets.
On the day I picked it up 2 techs swore it was there until they got into the vehicle and realized that it wasn't. Changes happen fast!

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Update for a 19XXX VIN.

No 12v in the Frunk and No 12v in the cabin Under the main screen. The only 12v outlet still left on my R1T is in the gear tunnel.
182xx picked up last Saturday and I have all 3 - gear tunnel, frunk, and under main screen. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

josephponline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’d love power in my Frunk in any form but I guess it’s not to be.

The 12v under the center screen was the most critical for me as I had planned to hook up my radar detector to that point … (I snake an extra long cable under the carpet and up the passenger A pillar and 3M mount the detector to the dash just beside the A pillar) so all cables are hidden and I don’t need to tap into any wires.

The lack of a 12v had me scouring Amazon for hours searching for a “Unicorn” USB-C to 12v adaptor. I found 3 of which only one worked as apparently it has a “booster chip” which puts enough power into the detector for functioning. Not sure if the science … only that it works.

The slow disappearance of all the 12v ports looks to me like its a diminishing standard given they provide the 120v points.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T

The 12v under the center screen was the most critical for me as I had planned to hook up my radar detector to that point … (I snake an extra long cable under the carpet and up the passenger A pillar and 3M mount the detector to the dash just beside the A pillar) so all cables are hidden and I don’t need to tap into any wires.

The lack of a 12v had me scouring Amazon for hours searching for a “Unicorn” USB-C to 12v adaptor. I found 3 of which only one worked as apparently it has a “booster chip” which puts enough power into the detector for functioning. Not sure if the science … only that it works.

The slow disappearance of all the 12v ports looks to me like its a diminishing standard given they provide the 120v points.
Wondering if it has anything to do with the 12V battery issues some have been having, odd to remove them unless necessary. Can’t imagine they’re saving all that much $ to remove them.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Wondering if it has anything to do with the 12V battery issues some have been having, odd to remove them unless necessary. Can’t imagine they’re saving all that much $ to remove them.
Maybe an awkward supply issue. There are some getting deliveries now that have all three.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Have you asked service about the 12v under the center screen? Seems like it's important to you and yours is the only one that I've heard of that's missing it. I would definitely open a ticket to see if they can install one for you.

josephponline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Have you asked service about the 12v under the center screen? Seems like it's important to you and yours is the only one that I've heard of that's missing it. I would definitely open a ticket to see if they can install one for you.
I have a service appointment later this month to pickup some wheels and adjust a couple of other things. I'll certainly ask. Since I got my USB-C to 12V adaptor I'm actually all set so candidly it doesn't bother me anymore. My only other major external energy draw after that was heating my ski boots on the way to the slopes, and that's fixed by the 120V in the Gear Tunnel.

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have a service appointment later this month to pickup some wheels and adjust a couple of other things. I'll certainly ask. Since I got my USB-C to 12V adaptor I'm actually all set so candidly it doesn't bother me anymore. My only other major external energy draw after that was heating my ski boots on the way to the slopes, and that's fixed by the 120V in the Gear Tunnel.
Can you let me know what product you are using for this, because I have been looking for something and frankly have no idea what to use. It's literally the only thing I'd use a 12V for.

josephponline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Can you let me know what product you are using for this, because I have been looking for something and frankly have no idea what to use. It's literally the only thing I'd use a 12V for.
Here's the link to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGL8ZRCS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I tried 3 different products and this is the only one that worked. Apparently there's a chip of some sort that boosts the voltage or converts it. Frankly power, watts, amps, voltage is all greek to me, all I know is that it works. BUT ... it won't power much else, e.g., air compressors, vacuum cleaners etc.

Let me know how it goes if you buy one!

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Here's the link to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGL8ZRCS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I tried 3 different products and this is the only one that worked. Apparently there's a chip of some sort that boosts the voltage or converts it. Frankly power, watts, amps, voltage is all greek to me, all I know is that it works. BUT ... it won't power much else, e.g., air compressors, vacuum cleaners etc.

Let me know how it goes if you buy one!
Sorry, I meant for your boot warmers, not your adapter.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Here's what I use. I bought it from Surefoot in Breck (but I'm sure most of the Surefoot stores carry the).

https://www.skiboots.com/product_p/tt1bw-tt1gbr.htm

What's even better is that it looks like it was made for the Gear Tunnel with its odd shape.
Got it. I was looking for something a bit more cost effective. I tried these and they were useless:

MICRO DRY - Drying systems - Heating systems - Products - BOOTDOC / HOTRONIC – BOOT DRYER & GLOVE DRYER (bootdoc-hotronic.com)
Sponsored