First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I kid you not... the 12V+ wire was about 3/4" bare copper exposed, and negative was about 3/8" bare copper exposed - both taped; and it really looked like the connector was simply yanked off. No clean cut anywhere.
It's almost like they decided on the single magnet tub, and whoever uploaded the model, used an old one without a 12v fitting, and then they figured it out when the first one showed up...
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

It's almost like they decided on the single magnet tub, and whoever uploaded the model, used an old one without a 12v fitting, and then they figured it out when the first one showed up...
That's hilarious. I hadn't thought of that until now.

I guess we will see when when the next wave of production units are released.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Should send the picture to your guide for the lulz.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I kid you not... the 12V+ wire was about 3/4" bare copper exposed, and negative was about 3/8" bare copper exposed - both taped; and it really looked like the connector was simply yanked off. No clean cut anywhere.
Why are they doing this? If they want to ditch the 12V outlet, okay; I don't agree with them, but that's their call to make. Eventually the harness will get updated to remove that connector and wires... But until then, just leave the connector back there. Zip tie it or use some harness tape if you need to. It's crazy to physically rip the connector off! The labor to do that and then use electrical tape on the wires has to be more than simply zip-tying the connector to the harness. Also the electrical tape is less reliable as it risks a short.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Why are they doing this? If they want to ditch the 12V outlet, okay; I don't agree with them, but that's their call to make. Eventually the harness will get updated to remove that connector and wires... But until then, just leave the connector back there. Zip tie it or use some harness tape if you need to. It's crazy to physically rip the connector off! The labor to do that and then use electrical tape on the wires has to be more than simply zip-tying the connector to the harness. Also the electrical tape is less reliable as it risks a short.
Couldn't agree more.

I'm working on a OE-equivalent 12V plug package that can be installed by those who don't have the 12V in the frunk.

Sponsored

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
VIN 11919 and no 12V outlet. But I do have some good news... the wiring is there. It's bundled with the right LED frunk light. Looks like whatever connector they used was cut off (or yanked off, as bare copper strands were exposed) and "protected" with electrical tape. Probably the most shotty work I've seen in a brand new (modern) car :D

Anyway, here are some photos showing available wiring. This is good for us without the 12V outlet, as we can now use something like this or this, and mount as it was from the factory, or mount it on the frunk tub vertically.

PHOTOS

5FC2C66F-D5AD-40CD-A3F1-F29C4107A2FF.jpeg
1D6E0098-4334-4BC3-B6AC-2D78A5D0B768.jpeg

039A1964-5CC0-4B1C-88F6-2B9938009DC7.jpeg

69035E30-68E8-40B2-88C6-5B7FAE88C0E5.jpeg

FDBC2D55-A141-4985-BA9B-2F3CB71D493B.jpeg

6E5B4235-8861-4ADD-9BAB-08DE41FA8301.jpeg
Reasons such as this is why I love these forums! Thanks!

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
In case there was any doubt. My 119xx VIN did not have the frunk 12v outlet and it looks like they won't moving forward. No big deal for me personally I would have never used it but hopefully not too disappointing for others.

I did not spot any additional changes to the text on the R1T landing page.

Rivian Website.png
I have the 12 volt outlet in my frunk. Vin 111xx.

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
I forgot to check when I got my drive a few days ago, but is there no 12V outlet in the bed? That seems like a huge no-no for an “adventure truck”. I don’t want to be forced to put my 12V battery and fridge in the cab, nor do I want to connect them to 110VAC though perhaps that’s not a big deal, other than having to bring an adaptor I don’t normally need. In general, how accessible is switched or in switched 12V to add 12V outlets in places other than Rivian’s skimpy offering.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I don’t recall if the off-road package (tow hooks + underbody protection) was always stand-alone and extra cost with Adventure or included with Adventure, then made a $2K option with a $2K price reduction to Adventure. But either way I remember more than a few people griping about having to spend $2K when they only wanted the tow hooks.
Originally, before the first customer vehicle was delivered, tow hooks were bundled with the underbody protection as a $2k "offroad upgrade" for all trims.

Then the tow hooks became standard on Launch and Adventure, the underbody protection becoming a $2k upgrade by itself. I don't recall if the tow hooks became standard on Explore - it doesn't really matter any more.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So the 2 remaining 12v outlets are where? Under the dash and…..?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Coming from a Tesla is exactly why I like Rivian, its nothing like a Tesla. My Model Y was OBVIOUSLY built to scale, materials are cheap and the interior is very basic. Everything clips in like legos. That has no bearing on the great drive and excellent software, but at their current prices, lets just say theres a reason the stock has done so well over the past few years - the margins are great.

If the Rivian looked like a Tesla on the inside and/or lacked all of the awesome quirky features, I wouldn't have really given the company much thought. What sets them apart is they are going for the luxury market with build, materials, and features. I hope they continue with that, otherwise if they try to compete with Tesla at their own game (being another very simple basic designed vehicle and limiting features with recommendations from the "Munros" of the world), I dont think they will do that well.
No, they won’t (do that well at all).

OGLindy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, VW Tiguan
Glad I got a Launch Edition via the R1 Shop when the launch edition wasn’t available when I pre-ordered. I have one (VIN 116xx)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Originally, before the first customer vehicle was delivered, tow hooks were bundled with the underbody protection as a $2k "offroad upgrade" for all trims.

Then the tow hooks became standard on Launch and Adventure, the underbody protection becoming a $2k upgrade by itself. I don't recall if the tow hooks became standard on Explore - it doesn't really matter any more.
They weren't. I was going to get my R1S without them.
Sponsored