First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That was going to be my question: have they started replacing the harness with the 12V leg removed?
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T 1675039879219
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It does seem silly that they removed it. For mass produced vehicles, probably doesn't cost them more than $1.00 to put it in. Probably was more costly to eliminate it and retool the wiring harness and plastic tub. I'm sure they had their reasons. I really wish they would bump up the 110 outlets to handle 2500w instead of just the 1500w it's currently capable of.
I agree it was silly to remove the plug. I also think it was a missed opportunity not to include a 110V and USB-C outlet in the frunk.

But I think they were going to retool the tub, anyway, since they also went from 2 magnets to 1; so removing the plug was "essentially free" from a R&D perspective.

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
With the 12V batteries being in the frunk, seems like a pretty easy mod to buy a 12V socket and just wire it directly to the battery for those that need it. And it would be live at all times, thus not require having to turn on the outlets or leave the hood open or have the truck powered on.

It does seem silly that they removed it. For mass produced vehicles, probably doesn't cost them more than $1.00 to put it in. Probably was more costly to eliminate it and retool the wiring harness and plastic tub. I'm sure they had their reasons. I really wish they would bump up the 110 outlets to handle 2500w instead of just the 1500w it's currently capable of.
If you do it, please use a fuse.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Has anyone whoā€™s taken delivery recently checked to see if this wiring is still there? Iā€™m curious if Rivian intends to keep installing it or if the goal was to remove the outlet and the wiring over time.
The always dangerous, ā€œI had a conversation with the service centerā€ but I did.

I inquired if the harness changed and if the outlet could be retrofit or if the computer cuts the power (like Tesla does) and they said the wiring harness is slated to change in the name of cost savings but they donā€™t know what the cutoff is or when itā€™ll be.

I definitely noted it a was a bit of a bummer and asked how difficult it was to take the tub apart to see if the wiring is there, noting I would probably give retrofit a shot. To my surprise when I picked up the truck I noticed a couple days later that I had a new (old) tub with the two magnets and a working 12v outlet. Nothing on the service sheet about it and they never said anything. Above and beyond and gave me a smile.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The always dangerous, ā€œI had a conversation with the service centerā€ but I did.

I inquired if the harness changed and if the outlet could be retrofit or if the computer cuts the power (like Tesla does) and they said the wiring harness is slated to change in the name of cost savings but they donā€™t know what the cutoff is or when itā€™ll be.

I definitely noted it a was a bit of a bummer and asked how difficult it was to take the tub apart to see if the wiring is there, noting I would probably give retrofit a shot. To my surprise when I picked up the truck I noticed a couple days later that I had a new (old) tub with the two magnets and a working 12v outlet. Nothing on the service sheet about it and they never said anything. Above and beyond and gave me a smile.
Thatā€™s really cool they did that! Itā€™s not a huge deal to me - I would probably only use a powered cooler up there a couple times per year, and the heat buildup was also a concern. I will be fine with just an efficient non-powered chest cooler. The one BoxGods is designing to fit in the frunk looks like a good option. More FOMO than anything else.

ThatOneGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

Wow, that's awesome! Great customer service.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Haha still says 3 in the app.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T 5E166573-F4AC-4F03-8638-9424AD4C3DD6

joshtish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Information Technology.
Howdy! Did you get a chance to look?
I checked today. No wiring harness there. I felt inside and followed the wire to where it exits the tub housing and nothing.

Looks like Iā€™d have to remove the Frunk tub to see whatā€™s available to me if I want to retrofit an outlet into that space.

keenanj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, C8 Corvette, VW Tiguan
Occupation
tech entrepreneur
Just checked my 15k VIN and no 12v harness. Not a good idea to connect any load directly to the 12v batteries could cause voltage detection issues or kill your 12v.

I was planning on adding some SAE connectors to the batteries and route them out the bottom corner of the windshield. This way in an emergency you could charge the 12v batteries without having to open the frunk. I did this in my C8 corvette and it is super handy.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I have seen several comments on Facebook where new deliveries have had 12V plugs in the frunk again. So, are they using up some old components or is the 12V plug back?

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I have seen several comments on Facebook where new deliveries have had 12V plugs in the frunk again. So, are they using up some old components or is the 12V plug back?
Unclear. CS and guides have not commented on it but many recent deliveries have had the 12V in the frunk. Website has not updated to show the change.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Seems odd that it would be old stock being used, my R1S is an early 166x from October/22 and it had 1 magnet no outlet. I see the markings for the dual magnets but does not have the indentation for the outlet.

I wonder if there was an issue getting the regular ones and ordered some from an alternate vendor in the interim but used an old template that did not have the plug indentation and did not want to impact the build volume so just used them. That is what I would have done for such a small discrepancy.