Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I chose these two parts and they happen to be for 2 car brands but the pigtail looks to be an exact fit. I imagine they all use the same manufacturers for this stuff.

12V Outlet: GENUINE FORD EXPLORER CENTER CONSOLE 12V POWER OUTLET WITH BLACK TRIM (No part number)
Pigtail: 1997 - 2020 GM Center Dash Bezel Cigarette Lighter PIGTAIL WIRE - 25776667
If anyone manages to find actual part numbers for these parts or items that are direct replacements, please post them. I'd really like to do this mod, but these are of course "sold".

It does strike me as funny that Rivian has apparently said this was deleted due to lack of use. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when some engineer sees activity for VINs that should not have this part.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
What do you have if not the magnet, and what's the purpose of the magnet, just to hold the carpeted cover down?
One magnet in the middle. It’s to hold the false floor In place when it’s folded up out of the way.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
Well Atleast so far it’s just a magnet and the outlet.

unlike ford who Has taken away the heated steering wheel and I think they said heated seats in the 23 lightnings. I’ll have to go look that up again. That’s also what the ford salesman told me while I was test driving the lightning.

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
Is the 12v outlet in the frunk always on or at some point when the truck "turns off" will it power off?
Also anyone know what the max amps is?

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
None of the outlets are always on, iirc, but tbh I haven't used my frunk 12v yet, just the plugs in the bed.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Is the 12v outlet in the frunk always on or at some point when the truck "turns off" will it power off?
Also anyone know what the max amps is?
I'm not sure of the power logic for it, but it turns off before my SUP is inflated. It is a big board, so I usually have to cycle lock/unlock 2-3 times before it is inflated. Don't know if the 12V outlets are managed with the AC outlets with camp mode or not.

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
After some testing last night it seems that the socket will power off when the truck is "off" (locked or walked away from if home with do not lock at home on) with one exception that made this very confusing while testing. if the frunk is open the 12v accessory stays on. this is a great design and also will work for tapping my AUX lights backlights into.

roscko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I chose these two parts and they happen to be for 2 car brands but the pigtail looks to be an exact fit. I imagine they all use the same manufacturers for this stuff.

12V Outlet: GENUINE FORD EXPLORER CENTER CONSOLE 12V POWER OUTLET WITH BLACK TRIM (No part number)
Pigtail: 1997 - 2020 GM Center Dash Bezel Cigarette Lighter PIGTAIL WIRE - 25776667
Thanks for sharing!

Found this listing on ebay for a similar-looking 12 V outlet with cover. Is this the same one you used?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2040636514...GyY7qE5Q-m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And is it just a 1" hole you drilled?

I'm still looking for a compatible pigtail. Any help from anyone would be appreciated!

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Thanks for sharing!

Found this listing on ebay for a similar-looking 12 V outlet with cover. Is this the same one you used?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2040636514...GyY7qE5Q-m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And is it just a 1" hole you drilled?

I'm still looking for a compatible pigtail. Any help from anyone would be appreciated!
Yes that looks very similar to the one I used. The pigtail was from a Chevy. I just eyeballed the connector and it worked out perfectly. I imagine they are pretty standard. I'm not seeing any active listings on eBay so might take a bit of searching.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403813797973
1997 - 2020 GM Center Dash Bezel Cigarette Lighter PIGTAIL WIRE - 25776667

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)
Has anyone else failed to find the 12v connector tied off behind the lamp socket? Mine does not have it (R1T 137xx).

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T 20221222_161511

Sponsored

R.Miller

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
HS English Teacher
In case there was any doubt. My 119xx VIN did not have the frunk 12v outlet and it looks like they won't moving forward. No big deal for me personally I would have never used it but hopefully not too disappointing for others.

I did not spot any additional changes to the text on the R1T landing page.

Rivian Website.png
This really is a bummer. I had planned on using the frunk as a place to store a dometic cooler. I live 40 miles from work and I could really use that feature to keep food and water cool for my kids when they get out of school and have sporting events. Currently, I go through a lot of ice.

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
Has anyone else failed to find the 12v connector tied off behind the lamp socket? Mine does not have it (R1T 137xx).

20221222_161511.jpg
That was going to be my question: have they started replacing the harness with the 12V leg removed?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

With the 12V batteries being in the frunk, seems like a pretty easy mod to buy a 12V socket and just wire it directly to the battery for those that need it. And it would be live at all times, thus not require having to turn on the outlets or leave the hood open or have the truck powered on.

It does seem silly that they removed it. For mass produced vehicles, probably doesn't cost them more than $1.00 to put it in. Probably was more costly to eliminate it and retool the wiring harness and plastic tub. I'm sure they had their reasons. I really wish they would bump up the 110 outlets to handle 2500w instead of just the 1500w it's currently capable of.
Sponsored