Sponsored

Rivian trademarks TANK TURN! Now with official video.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
$5000 option. Ok
Where did you get this info?

Doubt I would get this option but curious if they published an Est cost to upgrade as they have been quiet about options/pricing.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
BTW, anyone else notice that the Left Front & Right Rear are spinning faster than LR & RF?

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
BTW, anyone else notice that the Left Front & Right Rear are spinning faster than LR & RF?
You can notice it when they put the video in slow motion. This feature would obviously only work on dirt or rocky terrain.

Possible to make some killer donuts in the snow.

Off roaders jump in here - would this be useful on the trails?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
More novel & fun than truly useful.

The few times time I wished I could turn around & drive forward instead of using reverse, I wouldn't have been able to do this either...

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I think people are misunderstanding the word "available"... which doesn't mean it is a paid option. The quad-motor is standard across the range so, even IF they did charge for the feature, it's a simple software upgrade. No way it cost $5k... which was just speculation by one user anyway.

Sponsored

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
It was a joke. Lol. It probably comes on a package though.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting quote from Rivian in the article below:
https://www.businessinsider.com/riv...ee-turns-video-tesla-cybertruck-rival-2019-12

The Rivian spokeswoman Amy Mast explained how the feature works to Business Insider:

"The vehicle's four motors independently control torque at each wheel, allowing torque to be applied in opposite directions on each side of the vehicle," Mast said. The truck estimates how much friction there is between the tires and the surface beneath them and applies torque to each wheel to produce a "controlled rotation."

jfrench

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
I love everything about this. Maybe it's because I'm a Rivian fanboi but the advertising/PR behind this is nearly perfect. Playful music, short and sweet, a nice tease without too much info...

I too cannot imagine a scenario where this would be useful. Every place where I've wanted to turn around to drive forward out of a sticky situation it was too tight for a tank turn or the surface inappropriate. Cool as hell nonetheless.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I love everything about this. Maybe it's because I'm a Rivian fanboi but the advertising/PR behind this is nearly perfect. Playful music, short and sweet, a nice tease without too much info...

I too cannot imagine a scenario where this would be useful. Every place where I've wanted to turn around to drive forward out of a sticky situation it was too tight for a tank turn or the surface inappropriate. Cool as hell nonetheless.
My kids would love this during Northeast snowstorms in an empty parking lot. That's about all I can imagine.

Like others said this is probably just a software upgrade since torque vectoring is standard to all four wheels.

Wishful thinking but if they realize most people won't purchase the option maybe they will throw it in with one of the larger battery options.

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Attached is a letter from RJ Scaringe. In it, amongst other things, he assured us that tank turn will be designed an implemented in such a way as to minimize environmental (trail) impact and suggested that all use of this feature be done mindfully...Thank you Rivian for your support and concern of our trails and environment! Many great things to come out of Rivian in 2020 and beyond...Happy new year to all Rivian supporters!

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian trademarks TANK TURN! Now with official video. Screenshot_20200101-121748_Email

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Attached is a letter from RJ Scaringe. In it, amongst other things, he assured us that tank turn will be designed an implemented in such a way as to minimize environmental (trail) impact and suggested that all use of this feature be done mindfully...Thank you Rivian for your support and concern of our trails and environment! Many great things to come out of Rivian in 2020 and beyond...Happy new year to all Rivian supporters!
Happy New Year and welcome to the roaring 20's ... 2.0!

It was nice to read that email from RJ as he assures us of the tank turn design and how minimizes trail impact and a high level of the challenges to get these EAVs to productions. But after reflecting over the entirety of the email, if I hadn't seen it posted here I would have been tempted to post it in the thread "Rivian makes cursory attempt to update pre-order holders." Still too high-level, this our mission, blah blah, format for what I'm looking for. I don't want to read too much into a New Year's email from the CEO, but i do hope it's his way of kicking of the year for "Rivian" (aka, their communication/PR/marketing/web support type departments) to be more transparent and informative on their offerings, progress, purchase process, etc. to their reservation holders and other potential buyers.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
Yes, but only rarely. The only real use I can see for it is when trying to negotiate a tight switchback (ie Black Bear Pass). Instead of backing up just engage the tank turn mode and then go forward. The difficulty will be when the surface has too much grip for the wheels to slip easily. I spoke the Brian at the Mill Valley event on this point and he seemed to suggest that it might work in a situation like that but that the software for this is in flux and that there may be some changes in the future.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles