Sponsored

Rivian Trademarks Hints New Models - Crossover & Sedan? (R1C, R1A, R2C, R2A, R2S, R2T, R2R)

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

Rivian trademark filings hint at possible crossover, sedan in the works

Rivian has released many development and marketing details surrounding its coming all-electric R1T pickup truck and R1S SUV over the last few months, but recently published US trademark applications hint that the Michigan-based startup has a crossover, sedan, and second generation vehicles already in the works.

Several Rivian-owned US trademark applications were recently published for opposition at the end of March, meaning the applications are pending a waiting period for objections to be filed before they become officially registered. The 1S and 1T names already associated with Rivian were included in the batch, but several others not currently tied to a revealed product were as well: 1C, 1A, 2C, 2A, 2S, 2T, and 2R.

Rivian’s current naming scheme using single letters to denote its vehicle types – ‘T’ for truck, ‘S’ for SUV – indicate that its application for the trademark ‘1C’ could correspond to a “crossover,” and the ‘2’ included in some of the new marks could hint at the next generation of its flagship vehicles. However, the remaining ‘A’ and ‘R’ designations are not as easy to guess.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Trademarks Hints New Models - Crossover & Sedan? (R1C, R1A, R2C, R2A, R2S, R2T, R2R) Rivian_TM-registrations

A list of Rivian’s trademark applications filed with the US Patent and Trademark Office.

Initial entry into the luxury vehicle market for car manufacturers is a tried and true strategy for new companies and new vehicle lines, and the popularity of larger utilitarian cars in the US altogether explain Rivian’s first focus on pricey SUVs and trucks. But it’s likely that the all-electric startup will expand into the sedan market shortly after either manufacturing or deliveries begin, which is probably where the ‘A’ and ‘R’ designations in Rivian’s trademarks are intended to be used.

Audi might have the biggest hint for interpreting Rivian’s intentions – its ‘A’ and ‘R’ monikers are attached to its sedans and sportbacks, respectively. The company’s ascending numerical designations (A3, A4, etc.) correlate to performance enhancements (higher the better), but Rivian’s intentions could go another direction.

One of Rivian’s primary competitors, the Ford F-150, uses catchy names like ‘Raptor’, ‘King Ranch’, and ‘Platinum’ to designate its variations rather than letters. The names aren’t simply tied to increasing performance enhancements but rather their intended use. Rivian could adopt a correlation like Ford’s and use its numbering system to indicate whether the vehicle had a city or outdoor adventure focus, for example.

Rivian’s intentions for its upcoming all-electric R1T pickup truck and R1S SUV have been a fun source of speculation within its new and growing enthusiast community. Several graphic renderings imagining its modular capabilities were published by the team running RivianForums, inspired by the company’s patent application for such a system. Other visions of aftermarket off-road additionshave also been published for community enjoyment.

The excitement for its vehicles has been duly noted and encouraged by Rivian as well. The company will appear at this month’s New York International Auto Show and has scheduled a special showing for reservation holders a few days prior to the event at a local car club. Attendees will enjoy cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, and a greeting by the company’s CEO and founder, RJ Scaringe, all while being treated to an in-person look at Rivian’s current vehicles, both of which boast up to 400 miles per charge, high-powered quad motors, and a 0-60 mph acceleration time of 3 seconds.
Sponsored

Ricky35

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Occupation
IT
Wow surprised to see R2T and R2S on there already.. could they really be in the works already? Gotta wonder how long the life cycles will be when so much $$ already poured into the first generation models.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I imagine Rivian, being a forward thinking company, are simply applying for the trademark(s) early to prevent trademark poaching.

krcossin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 Suburban LTZ + 19 Volvo XC40
I going to trademark R1SB, for Rivian first version SkateBoard.

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I wasn't following Rivian when this broke but it's very interesting. Note the R2R which has resurfaced recently (this is year-old-news FYI). It's now understood that the number identifies the class of skateboard. So it would seem they're only planning on 2 skateboards for the first 5 years or so. Seems like a pretty good bet the smaller SUV will have the #2 skateboard.

What A and C could stand for is intriguing. Sedans and sportbacks don't seem likely to me, because they're not particularly outdoors-centric. Also, the 1 versions would be super-wide. Rampant covid-19-boredom-inspired speculation follows:

A - All-Terrain-*cough*something*/cough* - maybe their jeep-like vehicle? Adventure-something...? Adventure-van? Amphibious?!?! Please-please-please-amphibious.

C - Cross Country. Their lifted wagon. Yeah, that's Volvo's but they don't have to explain that's why they used a C for their lifted wagon. Wagons aren't exactly hot nowadays though. Perhaps also Camper. An RV? Or perhaps Compact SUV or pickup eliminating a row of seats for less length, which I know I would appreciate because I just bought a 200" Mazda CX-9 that I can't park if my neighbors don't pull their cars ALL THE WAY IN, allowing clearance to actually turn and park this behemoth.

Or what if A and C were actually for reduced seating versions of their trucks AND SUVs. That would make a lot of sense. The new Land Rover Defender 90 is the sexy one in my book and much-shorter 2-door options are great for off-road I would imagine.
Sponsored