First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
There has been a lot of threads over the months and years about why the speed is limited, and claiming it's "Nanny" speed limiting, tire specifications, etc. I decided to pull together various spec data that is available online and see what the math says. TLDR if math scares you - the speed limit is almost certainly a function of the maximum motor RPM specs, with Rivian possibly derating it a bit to ensure they don't have people blowing up motors. As an engineer and Rivian shareholder, I understand and agree with that, lol.

The calculations:

Rivian uses 400 volt Bosch electric motors. We don't know the exact RPM specs from RIvian, but Bosch has specs calling out 16,000 RPM @ 400 volts (and 18,500 RPM @ 800 volts) on their web site for their E-Axle product. It's safe to assume that Rivian's 400 volt motor is similar, perhaps identical.

Rivian documented in their EPA filing that the gear ratio is 12.6:1 on the front and back drive units.

We know the diameter of the wheels and tires, and therefore we can calculate the circumference of the tire.

With that information, we can calculate the theoretical mechanical speed of the truck. Calculate the maximum wheel RPM, and then calculate the distance traveled per revolution, and then how far the vehicle traveled in one minute and convert to MPH.

The second column (400 volt 16,000 RPM motor) shows that the calculated speed is 124.7 mph.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Rivian was quoted early on as saying that the top speed was 125 mph.

It's a pretty common practice to derate products below their maximum design spec to ensure reliability. In the first column, I derated the RPM by 10% to 14,400 RPM and arrived at a speed of 112.2 mph. Coincidence or not?

I think this pretty much sums up that the speed limitation is based on engineering and design limits of components used by Rivian, and not "Nanny Rivian", tire specifications, etc. I can't really find fault with Rivian for derating by 10% - that's how they can feel comfortable providing a 7 year warranty. That 7 year warranty sells a lot more vehicles than a 125 mph top speed spec with a 3 year warranty.

Also of interest is the specs on the 800 volt motor - in theory it could run at 144 mph, so perhaps a future R1 or the R2 will have a higher speed limit.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Top Speed - Using Math to understand Why top speed is limited 1675745959000
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian documented in their EPA filing that the gear ratio is 12.6:1 on the front and back drive units.
This is odd. RJ has been on record saying that the rear motors are geared for more low end power and the front for cruising (hence the disconnect is on the rear).

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
This is odd. RJ has been on record saying that the rear motors are geared for more low end power and the front for cruising (hence the disconnect is on the rear).
Yep, completely agree. I recalled reading that, but in the end I decided to use what they told the government…..

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's safe to assume that Rivian's 400 volt motor is similar, perhaps identical.
That's where I stopped reading.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yes, I am scared of math…thank you for noticing.

But I am always happy to let someone smarter than I am dumb things down to a level my Rugby brain can follow. So thank you!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Munro Live says they were identical. Whether or not they actually did a tooth count and part comparison, I couldn't say.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
maybe tire ratings

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

maybe tire ratings
All Rivian spec tires are H-rated or 130 mph. And the math above doesn't account for the ATs being 34", which would mean lower motor rpm and higher top speed.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I believe the front and rear motor gearing is the same, and the rated power is nearly identical. but the rear motors are larger and (according to Munro) capable of more power. Could be a future upgrade but I do believe Rivian is protecting themselves from a system limitation. The Munro video also points out that Tesla uses a pressurized cooling system over Rivian's simpler system, which I still think is a limiting factor.

Sponsored

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
Munro Live says they were identical. Whether or not they actually did a tooth count and part comparison, I couldn't say.
they rear motors are more powerful than the front ones.
see 13:00 and goes on for about a minute.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
they rear motors are more powerful than the front ones.
see 13:00 and goes on for about a minute.
But does that matter? If revolutions will be same for all four wheels, seems you have to measure variables from the least capable motor. Certainly open to hearing where I'm wrong.

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

There has been a lot of threads over the months and years about why the speed is limited, and claiming it's "Nanny" speed limiting, tire specifications, etc. I decided to pull together various spec data that is available online and see what the math says. TLDR if math scares you - the speed limit is almost certainly a function of the maximum motor RPM specs, with Rivian possibly derating it a bit to ensure they don't have people blowing up motors. As an engineer and Rivian shareholder, I understand and agree with that, lol.

The calculations:

Rivian uses 400 volt Bosch electric motors. We don't know the exact RPM specs from RIvian, but Bosch has specs calling out 16,000 RPM @ 400 volts (and 18,500 RPM @ 800 volts) on their web site for their E-Axle product. It's safe to assume that Rivian's 400 volt motor is similar, perhaps identical.

We know the diameter of the wheels and tires, and therefore we can calculate the circumference of the tire.

With that information, we can calculate the theoretical mechanical speed of the truck. Calculate the maximum wheel RPM, and then calculate the distance traveled per revolution, and then how far the vehicle traveled in one minute and convert to MPH.

The second column (400 volt 16,000 RPM motor) shows that the calculated speed is 124.7 mph.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Rivian was quoted early on as saying that the top speed was 125 mph.

It's a pretty common practice to derate products below their maximum design spec to ensure reliability. In the first column, I derated the RPM by 10% to 14,400 RPM and arrived at a speed of 112.2 mph. Coincidence or not?

I think this pretty much sums up that the speed limitation is based on engineering and design limits of components used by Rivian, and not "Nanny Rivian", tire specifications, etc. I can't really find fault with Rivian for derating by 10% - that's how they can feel comfortable providing a 7 year warranty. That 7 year warranty sells a lot more vehicles than a 125 mph top speed spec with a 3 year warranty.

Also of interest is the specs on the 800 volt motor - in theory it could run at 144 mph, so perhaps a future R1 or the R2 will have a higher speed limit.

1675745959000.png
thanks for the great effort in compiling this data! Just curious…is the 112MPH what most are seeing? Mine has always had a top speed of 115MPH with the exception of conserve mode which has been 112MPH.

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
thanks for the great effort in compiling this data! Just curious…is the 112MPH what most are seeing? Mine has always had a top speed of 115MPH with the exception of conserve mode which has been 112MPH.
DO you have 20" wheels? I used 33" diameter, which represents the 21" and 22" wheels. The tires on the 20" wheels are 34" diameter which indicates a speed of 115. Here's the calcs using 20" wheels with 34" tires.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Top Speed - Using Math to understand Why top speed is limited 1675826566486

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

DO you have 20" wheels? I used 33" diameter, which represents the 21" and 22" wheels. The tires on the 20" wheels are 34" diameter which indicates a speed of 115. Here's the calcs using 20" wheels with 34" tires.

1675826566486.png
Yes..exactly, I have the 20 ATs..Thanks!

it would be awesome to be able to drive 133.7MPH (10% limit)with an 800v upgrade though…😜
Sponsored

Last edited: