First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
In all seriousness... this is because their are no experts or insider info to argue with and I have time allotted to adventuring with my R1T but that has fallen through so far... BUT when I do get delivery I promise no more arguing on internet forums about production capacity.
I hear you, these forums can be exhausting….

Pretty sure I’ll lose my login the day after I get my R1S….
Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I want to get involved in the arguments in these threads but I am not sure how to pick a side. Can anyone tell me if either side does 401k matching? Are there pizza Fridays?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I want to get involved in the arguments in these threads but I am not sure how to pick a side. Can anyone tell me if either side does 401k matching? Are there pizza Fridays?
I heard Tesla is taking away French Benefits.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Has anyone besides me reached the forum's limit of 1000 blocked threads?

Last edited:

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Can anyone tell me if either side does 401k matching?
No matching, the higher production side has a new comparability formula. (Retirement plan joke, almost no one will get it.)

Sponsored

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Here is the number of Model 3s produced per quarter from wiki. If you look at the full first quarter, 2017 Q4, about 40 vehicles were produced each week. The next quarter about 163 vehicles per week. In the third full quarter, 476 vehicles were produced per week. This chart obviously doesn’t reflect what Rivian will be able to produce, but it gives an idea of what the ramp will be like. Rivian will not be making 200 vehicles per week for long.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian to ramp up production to 200 a week (per Bloomberg) 34A070A8-A58D-41E2-B1A6-4352B4FCC723

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
Article: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-26/rivian-is-boosting-production-of-pickups-after-late-2021-woes?srnd=economics-vp#:~:text=Rivian Automotive Inc. is ramping,missing its goals in 2021

Rivian Is Ramping Production of Pickups After Late 2021 Woes
  • EV maker eyes rate of 200 ready-to-sell units per week
  • Assembly line was halted in early January for improvements

January 26, 2022

Rivian Automotive Inc. is ramping up output of its debut electric vehicle toward almost 200 delivery-ready units a week after working through production snags, according to people familiar with the matter, gaining traction after missing its goals in 2021.

The pickup maker backed by Amazon.com Inc. had paused production at its Normal, Illinois, plant for about a week around the start of this month for fixes and process improvements, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private information.

After starting limited production of its R1T pickup in August, Rivian averaged about 50 units a week through the end of December. That rate has fluctuated, with the number dropping significantly lower at points last month amid Covid-19 outbreaks at the plant and supply-chain bottlenecks, the people said.
Considering they were at 100 the last week of October this is kind of a non-story
Article: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-26/rivian-is-boosting-production-of-pickups-after-late-2021-woes?srnd=economics-vp#:~:text=Rivian Automotive Inc. is ramping,missing its goals in 2021

Rivian Is Ramping Production of Pickups After Late 2021 Woes
  • EV maker eyes rate of 200 ready-to-sell units per week
  • Assembly line was halted in early January for improvements

January 26, 2022

Rivian Automotive Inc. is ramping up output of its debut electric vehicle toward almost 200 delivery-ready units a week after working through production snags, according to people familiar with the matter, gaining traction after missing its goals in 2021.

The pickup maker backed by Amazon.com Inc. had paused production at its Normal, Illinois, plant for about a week around the start of this month for fixes and process improvements, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private information.

After starting limited production of its R1T pickup in August, Rivian averaged about 50 units a week through the end of December. That rate has fluctuated, with the number dropping significantly lower at points last month amid Covid-19 outbreaks at the plant and supply-chain bottlenecks, the people said.

While the accelerated rate this year is a sign of progress, it will depend on Rivian’s success in honing manufacturing processes and navigating the supply-chain disruptions..
The last week of October they were able to produce 104 (back from the S1 filings for the IPO). 200 isn’t exactly a stretch. This isn’t really news based on “people familiar with the matter”. Instead it’s random people making a random new guess and Bloomberg needing something to drive clicks.

We will know real numbers every quarter, it’s much easier to just wait for those.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Rivian themselves had been setting expectations, at least since April of 2021, during the pandemic, about guides, then imminent delivery of some vehicles. Each and every time, to anyone following them, it was fairly obvious that there was virtually no chance they would make the dates they* were setting.

But yet, they kept the narrative, until the self imposed deadlines passed. Then, and usually only after the target date deadline had passed, would Rivian change the target dates once again.

Eventually the CEO had to send a mass email with a mea culpa to codify the concerned reservation holders. He stated that Rivian needed to do a better job communicating and said they would. Then they set more deadlines. Then once again, they started to change...until the IPO was about to become reality.

Now they have to be more transparent, sooner, because of the S1.

The argument isn't that a pandemic and supply chain disruption wouldn't have an impact. The frustration is in the fact it was obvious. But yet, the company told everyone it was full steam ahead, until it wasn't.

I do not think Rivian will get 10k trucks out to non-employee customers this year. I reserved an RT1 LE Nov 2018, have a March-April target date, and do not believe there is a chance I will receive a vehicle in that time. Maybe end of Summer. My guess is late fall of 2022 or late Spring 2023.

Go back through my post history, I've been saying they won't make for a while. I haven't been that far off as of yet. I wish it was because I was that smart or clairvoyant. I was just sharing basic observations and followed them to what seemed like a logical conclusion.

It came down to what the company said versus what happened and how many times they made claims they couldn't meet.

They are further behind then they care to admit, have been for a long time.

I want the truck, could do without the BS.
exactly. this.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

it takes 100% less energy to wait and see
I think you just found Rivian's Communication and Marketing Plans. They would have been released by now, but it was just easier to do nothing. Plus, the added benefit of not publishing incorrect information.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

6 Ev's on those trucks. That puts them to... idk 10 total delivered since the start of December...? What's to brag about here?

Let's play the same game people have been playing with Rivian. That's ~10 trucks per month. They're going to deliver 120 trucks for the entire year, right?

Fair warning, GM's "start of production" delivery numbers for 2021 is my own personal source of humor given how much people freak out about Rivian.
They loaded 6 hummers on a single truck??? That fricken 27 tons!!!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer