First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
https://www.reuters.com/business/ev...-house-battery-cell-manufacturing-2021-10-02/

EV truck maker Rivian plans in-house battery cell manufacturing

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct 1 (Reuters) - Electric truck maker Rivian Automotive, which currently sources batteries from South Korean supplier Samsung SDI (006400.KS), plans to build battery cells in-house, its filing for a U.S. initial public offering showed on Friday.

The startup, backed by Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) and Ford Motor Co (F.N), said in the filing that its own battery cells would "complement third-party cell procurement which will provide supply continuity and support our anticipated growth."

Rivian, which disclosed losses of nearly $1 billion in the first half of the year, said it sees capital expenditure of approximately $8 billion through the end of 2023 to invest in additional manufacturing capacity, battery cell production, charging networks and others. read more

"Given the paramount importance and impact of the battery system on vehicle range, performance, and price, we have built in-house capabilities across the entire value chain," Rivian said, adding that includes battery cell development, battery manufacturing expertise and critical raw materials sourcing.

"Over time, we intend to expand our capabilities related to proprietary cell development and in-house cell manufacturing and expect that these functions will grow substantially in the coming years," it said.

Rivian announced in April that it had selected Samsung SDI as a battery supplier for its R1T pickup and R1S sport utility vehicle.

Samsung SDI is considering building a battery plant in central Illinois where a Rivian factory is located, U.S. Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois told reporters in August.

Reuters reported in July that Rivian plans to build a second U.S. assembly plant that will also include battery cell production, citing people familiar with the matter.

Rivian rival Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) last year announced a plan to build battery cells in-house, but Tesla earlier this year canceled a plan to launch its longest-range Model S Plaid+ sedan with the new battery cells.
Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
And so the long journey begins. Maybe they can steal some of Crazy Elon’s tech?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
plans to build battery cells in-house

...the ruling on the field is that's a best laid plan more IPO fodder than the classic Rivian 'soon'. How about a few more trucks in the wild first?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
IPO fodder indeed.

My guess is what this means in practical terms is a joint venture with Samsung, some sort of subsidiary mostly owned by Rivian.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
Based on my experience with a major battery cell (18650/21700) manufacturer, a new factory based on existing tech/process can easily take a year or more until it's able to produce commercially viable cells. This is after the factory has been built and equipped...

Sponsored

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
IPO fodder indeed.

My guess is what this means in practical terms is a joint venture with Samsung, some sort of subsidiary mostly owned by Rivian.
I would expect something similar to the Nevada GigaFactory, which is essentially a factory in a factory.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Yep, I agree. Most likely scenario in the short and medium term is a JV with Rivian owning the facility, possibly shared ownership of equipment, and the partner providing the actual battery tech and manufacturing expertise. Rivian would get a guaranteed supply and probably a better cost since they would be sharing in the capital expenditures.

Deleted member 3282

And so the long journey begins. Maybe they can steal some of Crazy Elon’s tech?
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said that the company will be willing to share electric vehicle motors, software and even battery tech. He added that Tesla's aim is to accelerate sustainable mobility and not just 'crush competitors'. -July 31, 2020

...or not.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said that the company will be willing to share electric vehicle motors, software and even battery tech. He added that Tesla's aim is to accelerate sustainable mobility and not just 'crush competitors'. -July 31, 2020

...or not.
Yea. He says a lot of things.

he’s not going to give away his battery tech. They are the number one ingredient in the whole scheme of things.

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Oct 7. No notable public deliveries.
Real soon. Real soon deliveries will come. lol

honest question…Of the factory is in production and they are making X amount per day,…… where the heck are they all?

please somebody help me here.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Real soon. Real soon deliveries will come. lol

honest question…Of the factory is in production and they are making X amount per day,…… where the heck are they all?

please somebody help me here.
Yeah, I am with you on this. R1-T and R1-S on order...

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
As with Tesla we can see new battery tech can be daunting both in form factor and chemistry. It seems likely Rivian (and Samsung) will use proven tech and just get on with it for production. There are some brilliant people both collaboratively and competitively working on both solid state and greater power density for conventional batteries. That tech even if peer reviewed and proven would take years to reach production at scale. Use what is proven and keep production rolling... Vertical integration is ideal but there have to be raw materials and production expertise. We are all in line waiting for the results of years of engineering and testing as it is.
Sponsored