First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
My question concerns this line from the law (the bold is mine): Act, such taxpayer may elect (at such time, and in such form and manner, as the Secretary of the Treasury, or the Secretary’s delegate, may prescribe) to treat such vehicle having been placed in service on the day before the date of enactment of this Act.

How will this affect vehicle warranty? Typically warranties have an "inservice" date (aka punch date" will that be this week for a vehicle that's now delivered for 6+ months? I'm not sure I'd want any new vehicle with a punch date several months before it rolls off the line.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong...
Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

My question concerns this line from the law (the bold is mine): Act, such taxpayer may elect (at such time, and in such form and manner, as the Secretary of the Treasury, or the Secretary’s delegate, may prescribe) to treat such vehicle having been placed in service on the day before the date of enactment of this Act.

How will this affect vehicle warranty? Typically warranties have an "inservice" date (aka punch date" will that be this week for a vehicle that's now delivered for 6+ months? I'm not sure I'd want any new vehicle with a punch date several months before it rolls off the line.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong...
Your bolded text means “for tax purposes.” It has nothing to do with the beginning of your new vehicle warranty from Rivian.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
My recollection from months ago is Ford was initially only allowing its commercial customers to order the base “Pro” trim Lightning, making the next higher trim level the cheapest available to non-commercial buyers. Just curious if regular retail customers can buy those base Ford Pro trucks now — with or without outrageous additional Ford dealer markups.
The extended range pro can only be ordered by commercial/fleet customers. Standard range Pros were available to retail customers. I have a Pro with no markup. OTD after all rebates is approximately $30k. That same truck would now bump me out of state incentives from the price increase and if I miss out on federal incentives would now cost $22k more.

Also bad news for the folks who passed to wait for a Pro. The Pro in 2023 now costs nearly as much an XLT I’m 2022.

• Sad
Reactions: Max

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The extended range pro can only be ordered by commercial/fleet customers. Standard range Pros were available to retail customers. I have a Pro with no markup. OTD after all rebates is approximately $30k. That same truck would now bump me out of state incentives from the price increase and if I miss out on federal incentives would now cost $22k more.

Also bad news for the folks who passed to wait for a Pro. The Pro in 2023 now costs nearly as much an XLT I’m 2022.
I believe Ford agreed to provide a rebate of $6500 for customers who had an order opportunity, but agreed to wait for their configuration to be available. This does not include people who simply did not have a wave assigned yet.

BTW, how the hell did you get to order? I'm a day-1 reservation, first 5 minutes, priority # 5,000 or so. So far its been crickets.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
I believe Ford agreed to provide a rebate of $6500 for customers who had an order opportunity, but agreed to wait for their configuration to be available. This does not include people who simply did not have a wave assigned yet.

BTW, how the hell did you get to order? I'm a day-1 reservation, first 5 minutes, priority # 5,000 or so. So far its been crickets.
Thats correct, anyone who deferred will get a credit, but I don’t know the amount.

I don’t think I was that low. I got my reservation email around 9:45pm on the 19th. Ordering opened for me Jan 6th? I’ve been high on the R1T so I didn’t actually order when it opened up. My dealer called me several times to ask if I was going to follow through before I placed the order for the Pro figuring it was cheap enough that I can dump it if I didn’t want it.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Thats correct, anyone who deferred will get a credit, but I don’t know the amount.

I don’t think I was that low. I got my reservation email around 9:45pm on the 19th. Ordering opened for me Jan 6th? I’ve been high on the R1T so I didn’t actually order when it opened up. My dealer called me several times to ask if I was going to follow through before I placed the order for the Pro figuring it was cheap enough that I can dump it if I didn’t want it.
Maybe I need a new dealer, but the reservation process was a sham. BTW; your dealer wants you to not follow through :)

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Maybe I need a new dealer, but the reservation process was a sham. BTW; your dealer wants you to not follow through :)
Maybe now. But point in time I was order #1 and they were pretty concerned about the conversion rates.

I’d say it’s time to change dealers. Mine hasn’t been terrible, but I still prefer a direct sales model…just with more competition/private service centers and a right to repair law

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I thought that I understood this EV tax rebate thing. After reading this thread, I am now not so sure. My annual federal income tax liability exceeds $20,000 each year. My Rivian order date was 11/28/18. I ordered an R1T Explore version. The estimated price is $70,775. I received an estimated delivery date of the first half of 2023.

Do I need to sign a binding purchase agreement at this time?

Brian
This is not just directed to OP. I think EVERYONE who won't hesitate to go through with their purchase should sign the BPA. In this situation, there is very little down side, but should "guarantee" the $7.5K tax credit regardless of what happens when delivery occurs.

GR

Husker Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia, Mercedes GLE350, Acura RDX, Gonna
Before the house passes the bill?
That's the goal. The House is expected to vote on Friday. But that's not the critical date - the Act only becomes effective when Biden signs it which, if the House goes Fri, wouldn't be until next week. Still not much time, but at least it gives us a couple extra days.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
That's the goal. The House is expected to vote on Friday. But that's not the critical date - the Act only becomes effective when Biden signs it which, if the House goes Fri, wouldn't be until next week. Still not much time, but at least it gives us a couple extra days.
My bet is Saturday before Congress heads back home (they are all off on recess after Friday).

gordonrands

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius Plug-in hybrid, 1997 Dodge Dakota
Occupation
university professor
Clubs

This is not just directed to OP. I think EVERYONE who won't hesitate to go through with their purchase should sign the BPA. In this situation, there is very little down side, but should "guarantee" the $7.5K tax credit regardless of what happens when delivery occurs.

GR
From what I understand - having read the whole thread - I agree. One thing that was mentioned in one post that I am not sure of, however, is whether a configuration of $91.5K (max pack, Camp Kitchen, a few adventure package options, 4/19/19 reservation date) will qualify for the existing $7500 tax credit with the preorder IF (as is completely likely) the vehicle isn't delivered until after April 15 2023. I know that it won't qualify without a BPA, but will it qualify with one?

If not, I clearly need to change my configuration to large pack battery and no Camp Kitchen, which would get me under $80K.

But if it would qualify, then the impossibility of qualifying for my existing configuration in the future and getting the tax credit would seem to be one additional argument (along with avoiding the price increase that applies to post-May 2022 orders) that I should stay with my "deluxe" configuration, even if it turns out that I don't end up wanting the Camp Kitchen, or even if I end up eventually deciding that the Silverado or Cybertruck makes more sense for me. Such configurations are likely to be nearly impossible to get in the future unless you don't need the tax credit OR the tax credit $80K MSRP provision is modified in the future.

I am analyzing this correctly, aren't I? Someone ought to be interested in buying a Camp Kitchen for at least $5K, or the entire vehicle for at least $90K, even a year or two down the road, right?

(And I can continue to wait until next year for delivery, and financially would prefer to, as my family's adjusted gross income is well under $150K per year, let alone under $300K).
Sponsored