LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

this is most curious.... so a binding purchase agreement executed in 2022 for a vehicle that almost surely will be delivered (deliverable) in 2023, or maybe even as far out as early 2024 will be acceptable to IRS? And does that mean Buyer has this transaction as a 2022 tax-year event? Meaning file for the fed credit before even taking physical possession of it? I may be over-extrapolating here.
Sponsored

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

What if you do not want the old tax credit and you want the new one. How would that work?

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
this is most curious.... so a binding purchase agreement executed in 2022 for a vehicle that almost surely will be delivered (deliverable) in 2023, or maybe even as far out as early 2024 will be acceptable to IRS? And does that mean Buyer has this transaction as a 2022 tax-year event? Meaning file for the fed credit before even taking physical possession of it? I may be over-extrapolating here.
I think that’s a totally legit point and I don’t see how this could span more than at most the two consecutive years for 2022+2023. Others have mentioned filing amendments, so maybe that’s the answer, but certainly seems non-trivial and unclear.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Maybe not actual configurations, but maybe the pricing scheme?

When the law says "binding" I interpret it to require that it be binding on both parties. And a contract that is missing material terms is generally not enforceable (with state by state variations, of course). Price is generally considered a KEY MATERIAL term. Binding contract also means that if Rivian doesn't follow through, buyers could have a claim against them too. Potential for Pandora's box to open if too many pieces are left open ended.
Good point, otherwise you could fulfill your Rivian purchase agreement by buying a T-Shirt through the online store!

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
What if you do not want the old tax credit and you want the new one. How would that work?
First off, may I please have your old credit.

Secondly, I suspect you just take delivery in 2023+ and would be eligible, but note that there are battery resources & components provisions that could exclude Rivian vehicles.

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I'm having a hard time understanding why this would be advantageous in any situation?

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I put in a reservation a couple weeks back for an R1S, I couldn’t obviously configure it because they had changed it a while back. Would I be able to get a PBA for my order as well? Or is this only going to apply to people who have launch edition or pre-march pre-orders?

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

I'm having a hard time understanding why this would be advantageous in any situation?
At this point in time, I always get a tax refund for about $4k. As how I understand the tax code today, if you get a refund, you will not get any of the $7500 since you do not own anything in taxes. So if I could bypass that, at least with the new tax law, maybe I could get something back??

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I really, really doubt these will hold any water whatsoever with the IRS. It's a good marketing move but thinking the IRS will accept a "binding purchase agreement" that doesn't include a VIN is pretty far fetched.

I imagine for the IRS it will be simple: the date you have a VIN is the date the rules apply to your purchase of that VIN.

Anything else is really, really wishful thinking.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
At this point in time, I always get a tax refund for about $4k. As how I understand the tax code today, if you get a refund, you will not get any of the $7500 since you do not own anything in taxes. So if I could bypass that, at least with the new tax law, maybe I could get something back??
It doesn't matter how much of a refund you get, it matters how much tax you paid. So if you paid 15K in taxes and got a 4k refund then you owed 11k in taxes and will get the full 7500.

Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That's up to Rivian. Still no details on what the BPAs or other binding agreements will look like for folks who don't have a delivery around the corner.
Yeah I get it. It’s gotten complicated for sure. I guess I could always wait for the 2024 small pack and dual motor, but there’s no guarantee that they won’t raise prices for that either to over the $80k threshold. I really wish they would’ve given a transition for manufacturers, but oh well.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
That is not how the tax credit works. You do not need to owe money in order to claim it. You need to have at least a 7500 tax liability in order to claim it (pay at least $7500/yr in fed taxes) As long as you've paid it you are good to go. I am assuming most people buying a Rivian hit this mark (except for very specific situations).

Reactions: Jac

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian to offer Binding Purchase Agreements (to help obtain EV tax credit) Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 5.15.11 PM

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
But if they convert reservations to binding buyers agreements, I can’t tell entitled people that don’t have their vehicles yet that Rivian doesn’t owe them anything…

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I really, really doubt these will hold any water whatsoever with the IRS. It's a good marketing move but thinking the IRS will accept a "binding purchase agreement" that doesn't include a VIN is pretty far fetched.

I imagine for the IRS it will be simple: the date you have a VIN is the date the rules apply to your purchase of that VIN.

Anything else is really, really wishful thinking.
What do you mean? If Fisker is already doing it then it must be legitimate!! /s
Sponsored