Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
A friend showed me this article -

Pretty smart if you ask me :-D Thoughts?

Rivian Has Been Secretly Testing Its Electric Trucks Disguised as Ford F-150s

Rivian, the startup electric vehicle company developing an electric pickup capable of up to 400 miles of range, has apparently been doing much of its road testing in Detroit under the disguise of the Ford F-150.

For months now, Jalopnik has been getting tips sent in of funny-seeming F-150 pickups that appear to be missing tailpipes, or with other weird or missing features, with many speculating that the trucks were actually the upcoming hybrid version of the F-150 or some other electrified Ford. You can see some photos of an F-150 charging, for example, over on Carscoops.

But now it seems like some of these weird test vehicles could have actually been Rivian prototypes, at least according to R.J. Scaringe, founder and CEO of Rivian. Here’s the part of an interview mentioning the disguised test trucks, from the Detroit Free Press:

The company’s skateboards, which carry the electric vehicle batteries and key components, have been hidden underneath used Ford F-150 bodies as they have undergone testing.

“We need something to keep the weather out while we put a lot of miles on our skateboard, so they’re driving around in Detroit right now, too. They’re all over the place, but nobody knows. We’re very quiet about that,” Scaringe said, noting that there’s no corporate connection to Ford. The wheelbase just happens to be the right size.

In a back room at the headquarters, sections of not just F-150s but SUVs from other companies and the parts that should provide the extra capability Rivian is promising, such as quad motors to power the wheels, were on display. That area, however, was off limits for cameras.

While it’s not too unusual for automakers to disguise their test vehicles, sometimes with design cues seemingly meant to mimic competitors, it’s sort of funny that Rivian’s skateboard platform fits the wheelbase of the F-150 so perfectly, as the F-150 is probably actually the benchmark for the R1T’s design and designed to be similar in size to the Ford.

With the company’s explosive reveal at last year’s LA Auto Show and Amazon recently leading an investment of $700 million in Rivian, the company has gone from an unknown startup to a hyped up segment leader in the development of electric pickups.

The Detroit Free Press story also mentions that Rivian claims to have exceeded its expectations for orders of its R1T pickup and R1S seven-seat SUV, with more vehicles planned to be announced later next year. The CEO wouldn’t comment on rumors of potential talks between Rivian and GM, but it seems like a lot could change between now and then.

Jalopnik reached out to Ford about Rivian testing with used F-150 bodies and will update when we have more.

https://jalopnik.com/rivian-has-been-secretly-testing-its-electric-trucks-di-1832928246
Sponsored

A Hawk

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i8
Yea it was mentioned in the Cool Rivian Facts thread recently too.

I thought it was a pretty genius idea too. I'm thinking it's gotta bother Ford knowing that their trucks are giving marketing exposure to a future competitor (since they've announced an electric F-150 is coming). :giggle:

Katsudon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Yea it was mentioned in the Cool Rivian Facts thread recently too.

I thought it was a pretty genius idea too. I'm thinking it's gotta bother Ford knowing that their trucks are giving marketing exposure to a future competitor (since they've announced an electric F-150 is coming). :giggle:
Further insult to injury - since the spied EV F150's that everyone thought was Ford's turns out to be Rivian's, it could mean Ford's not as far along with their EV pickup development as previously thought. If Rivian can bring the R1T to market before Ford comes with its electric F-150 and Tesla with their pickup, it's going to have the market to itself initially.

VSukx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Couldn't they just have used the R1T or R1S body for more accurate testing? They don't seem to be shy about showing them off.

Sponsored

RivMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M4
Further insult to injury - since the spied EV F150's that everyone thought was Ford's turns out to be Rivian's, it could mean Ford's not as far along with their EV pickup development as previously thought. If Rivian can bring the R1T to market before Ford comes with its electric F-150 and Tesla with their pickup, it's going to have the market to itself initially.
Actually, this was just spied this month - an electric F150 prototype covered in camouflage wrap while charging on Ford private property. So Ford does already have their prototypes out testing. Dunno if that means it'll come sooner than the R1T or not though...

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Testing Skateboard with F-150 Body - Article Link i-kPHpLTT-X3

OP
OP
RockDaphne98296

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Actually, this was just spied this month - an electric F150 prototype covered in camouflage wrap while charging on Ford private property. So Ford does already have their prototypes out testing. Dunno if that means it'll come sooner than the R1T or not though...

i-kPHpLTT-X3.jpg
Interesting - I saw this pic when I first saw the article above, I would have to trace it down but I could have sworn they said it was another picture of the Rivian - but if it is on FORD property and is a FORD prototype, that lends some drama ;-D Let the race begin!

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
This is all fascinating. Remember that in the early days of the automobile, luxury carmakers sold just the engine, drivetrain, and chassis. Owners then had their chosen chassis sent to a coach builder to have a custom body built on top of the chassis. For example, Duesenbergs were built this way. One of the coach builders who put bodies on Duesenbergs was LeBaron, a name which you might remember from a Chrysler model decades later. If you've ever noticed the coach in the "Body by Fisher" logo on GM cars, it's a reference to the fact that Fisher was a coach builder who built custom bodies for some early luxury brands that GM later absorbed . . . and then GM bought Fisher itself.

Ford has reportedly been talking to Tesla about putting Ford bodies on Tesla platforms. Speculation is that GM is thinking along the same lines with Rivian. Lucid Air claims to be building skateboards that can accommodate many different bodies. So, in some ways, we've come full circle.

In a similar vein, before World War I, there were 29,000 electric vehicles in New York City and charging stations along many thoroughfares. As the philosopher says, "there's nothing new under the sun".

sachinsb

First Name
Sachin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Veloster, Honda Fit
Just an observation from the pictures, the charging port of camo Ford is on the front bumper. The speculated Rivian(/ford) charging port is on Fender above the wheel-well.
So both companies are running into market together..

OP
OP
RockDaphne98296

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Just an observation from the pictures, the charging port of camo Ford is on the front bumper. The speculated Rivian(/ford) charging port is on Fender above the wheel-well.
So both companies are running into market together..
Excellent! I have my deposit in on the Rivian but I love seeing more EVs coming to market - more mainstream, more opportunity for development and increasing the number of EVs on the road mean it will be easier to seek out services and accessories in the future.

Sponsored

GJMOH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Lamdcruiser, 2014 Corvette
I spoke to an engineer at the Ny event Friday that said he was personally driving the mules with F150 bodies.