First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
I had my recall work performed this morning at my house. (Bolts re-torqued to spec.) The fellow who did the work is located out of Redmond, OR. He is a full-time Rivian employee and he covers nearly all of Oregon, including Central and Southern Oregon. Mentioned that he was aware of owners in Bend, Sisters, and Redmond.

Good to know that there is someone local who can take care of issues that don't require a visit to a SC.
Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
That's fantastic Steve! Not entirely surprising Rivian has a service presence here given the number of vehicles delivered to C.O. I wonder how many have been delivered to S.O. Are you able to share his name with us?

OP
OP
SteveInBend

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
The tech's name is AJ. I don't know about S.O., but AJ said that over a month ago there were at least 35 Rivians in the Bend-Redmond-Sisters area.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
The tech's name is AJ. I don't know about S.O., but AJ said that over a month ago there were at least 35 Rivians in the Bend-Redmond-Sisters area.
Holy Shit! That's way more than I thought. I figured it was maybe a dozen. We need some R1S's now. Preferably mine. šŸ˜¬

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

This is good news. It explains why my Guide confirmed Bend/Redmond is in their service area despite being >2 hours from the Portland SC.

Sponsored

switters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
This is great to know. We're relocating to Bend from Park City and my R1S is scheduled for delivery between Oct-Dec this year. I am concerned that there is no service center in Oregon at all, and the only planned one is 3 hours away in Portland.

What happens if there's a repair that cannot be handled by the mobile technician?

OP
OP
SteveInBend

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
What happens if there's a repair that cannot be handled by the mobile technician?
It's my understanding that it has to go to the Portland (Tulatin) SC. If not driveable and not under warranty, owner pays for towing. Otherwise, if not driveable and covered by your warranty, Rivian pays for towing. I don't know if that includes towing back to the owner post-repair, though.

switters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
It's my understanding that it has to go to the Portland (Tulatin) SC. If not driveable and not under warranty, owner pays for towing. Otherwise, if not driveable and covered by your warranty, Rivian pays for towing. I don't know if that includes towing back to the owner post-repair, though.
Thanks, Steve. Do you know if this includes body work?

I've had Teslas for the past 6+ years. Initially, they allowed us to take them to local body shops for repairs. Now, unless it's a very minor repair, they want to do the body work themselves.

OP
OP
SteveInBend

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
@switters - Regarding body work, you should ask Rivian directly or contact your insurance company.

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
When they towed my T from Carson City to Sac. Rivian paid for an Uber to drive me to Sac. Then I drove it back to CC.

Sponsored

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Thanks, Steve. Do you know if this includes body work?

I've had Teslas for the past 6+ years. Initially, they allowed us to take them to local body shops for repairs. Now, unless it's a very minor repair, they want to do the body work themselves.
My R1T was delivered to Bend last week with two dents and several scratches. Delivery rep told me ā€˜no sweat, weā€™ll make some tickets and theyā€™ll get it repaired locally.ā€™ As it turns out, ā€˜localā€™ means Portland and Rivian requires you to drop it off and pick it up.

A couple days after delivery I noticed my steering wheel was out of alignment. Same deal, bring it to Portland SC. No options for repair locally in Bend.

And the SC is only open M-F, so be prepared to take vacation timeā€¦

switters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Thatā€™s a deal breaker for me. Thereā€™s a Tesla service center here in Bend and theyā€™re easy to work with. No way do I have time to take my car to Portland for service. Absurd.

Iā€™ll be canceling my order. Too bad.

87Ducks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T,
My R1T was delivered to Bend last week with two dents and several scratches. Delivery rep told me ā€˜no sweat, weā€™ll make some tickets and theyā€™ll get it repaired locally.ā€™ As it turns out, ā€˜localā€™ means Portland and Rivian requires you to drop it off and pick it up.

A couple days after delivery I noticed my steering wheel was out of alignment. Same deal, bring it to Portland SC. No options for repair locally in Bend.

And the SC is only open M-F, so be prepared to take vacation timeā€¦
Nobody likes to be told "should have" but it sounds like you should have rejected delivery when the dents were found. But I probably would have done the same as you.
There may be some lawyers on this board who can give better answers, but the steering issue and the inconvience to have it repaired may trigger the Oregon Lemon Law. I'm not sure i would drive over the pass to PDX with a steering issue. Sounds unsafe.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Thatā€™s a deal breaker for me. Thereā€™s a Tesla service center here in Bend and theyā€™re easy to work with. No way do I have time to take my car to Portland for service. Absurd.

Iā€™ll be canceling my order. Too bad.
You might be able to postpone delivery until they have a local SC. I would just wait until you have a guide and then bring it up. Latest word is Central Oregon will get an SC in 2-3 years.

Nobody likes to be told "should have" but it sounds like you should have rejected delivery when the dents were found. But I probably would have done the same as you.
There may be some lawyers on this board who can give better answers, but the steering issue and the inconvience to have it repaired may trigger the Oregon Lemon Law. I'm not sure i would drive over the pass to PDX with a steering issue. Sounds unsafe.
The dents are pretty minor, I thought about declining it but I understood it could be repaired in Bend, so it seemed like more of an inconvenience to me to wait around for a new truck. The wheel alignment is an annoyance than a safety item. The car tracks straight and doesnā€™t pull when braking or accelerating, the wheel just wasnā€™t centered when they aligned it in the factory (off about 10 degrees). Again, Iā€™m surprised it wonā€™t be handled locally. If I didnā€™t already need to take it in for other things Iā€™d just do it myself.
Sponsored