kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

People should look more closely at the company equity aspect of the compensation package. That could end up being a windfall in the long run. I've been able to put myself in a pretty comfortable position with similar packages.

I've seen friends miss out on good opportunities because of short term verses long term views.

Totally agree, definitely not the case for the position I mentioned above but for something a bit more mid field Id say equity is a big factor.
Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
People should look more closely at the company equity aspect of the compensation package. That could end up being a windfall in the long run. I've been able to put myself in a pretty comfortable position with similar packages.

I've seen friends miss out on good opportunities because of short term verses long term views.
My quoted comp package was including equity, and wasn't competitive even when factoring in a 2.5x valuation bump for Rivian . In the tech world, the key term is TC (total comp).

The people at Rivian I spoke to are all ex-blue chip and Tesla folks (and Tesla comp is known to be crap).

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Yea, the point I was making in one of my posts included thinking about equity. When it comes to startups (and even established companies) equity is pretty much par for the course for my position level in the industry. I have a very generous equity options offering at my current organization, coupled with an incredible overall TC package. I sincerely doubt Rivian could match or exceed, based on the responses above. They would have to be amongst the industry leaders in TC offerings for it to make sense.

Again, it is really just because of the absurd amount of demand for persons who do what I do. That's one of the dangers for Rivian in their 'tech company' aspect - they're competing in an incredibly cutthroat market.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Yea, the point I was making in one of my posts included thinking about equity. When it comes to startups (and even established companies) equity is pretty much par for the course for my position level in the industry. I have a very generous equity options offering at my current organization, coupled with an incredible overall TC package. I sincerely doubt Rivian could match or exceed, based on the responses above. They would have to be amongst the industry leaders in TC offerings for it to make sense.

Again, it is really just because of the absurd amount of demand for persons who do what I do. That's one of the dangers for Rivian in their 'tech company' aspect - they're competing in an incredibly cutthroat market.
There's some other security peeps here as well, I'm curious your role, but I'm guessing red team/adversarial due to your comments.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's some other security peeps here as well, I'm curious your role, but I'm guessing red team/adversarial due to your comments.
By title I'm a senior security engineer. Operationally I'm a level or two above that, currently a direct report to a CISO. My purview is a bit of a mix of technical engineering work and management of an information security program for the organization.

That's probably enough information to whittle down the number of people I could potentially be ;)

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
By title I'm a senior security engineer. Operationally I'm a level or two above that, currently a direct report to a CISO. My purview is a bit of a mix of technical engineering work and management of an information security program for the organization.

That's probably enough information to whittle down the number of people I could potentially be ;)
Just a lot of tech folks here & I'd been security-focused for years until recently. Simple professional curiosity, definitely not looking for an actual identity!

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just a lot of tech folks here & I'd been security-focused for years until recently. Simple professional curiosity, definitely not looking for an actual identity!

All good, I wouldn't really care anyway. I do a lot of compliance work, but I'm no DPO ?

You're right about the density of tech-related careers we've seen here. I suppose it's probably because tech is one of the few industries that pays the kinds of wages it takes to buy a Rivian when you're not ancient :p (I tease, all you old farts!)

In all seriousness, between younger people often more willing to be early adopters, plus the tech-centric nature of Rivian, plus those of us that can't satisfy that urge via Tesla due to EM being EM, and the previously discussed compensation for tech workers in general, I have always felt like this (my) demographic is the primary target for Rivian. That could certainly just be my own inherent bias showing, though.

There's also something to be said for the late-stage family growth that tends to happen amongst high-income tech workers. My age bracket would probably put me somewhere in the average range of having my 1.x kids at about 3-8 years old now, which seems a prime range for the family-oriented marketing and featuring Rivian has focused on.

It will be very interesting when I can see more of the Rivian community in person. I am guessing there will be a lot of diversity with a few bigger bell-ends of concentration (retirees and younger high-income workers).

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
All good, I wouldn't really care anyway. I do a lot of compliance work, but I'm no DPO ?

You're right about the density of tech-related careers we've seen here. I suppose it's probably because tech is one of the few industries that pays the kinds of wages it takes to buy a Rivian when you're not ancient :p (I tease, all you old farts!)

In all seriousness, between younger people often more willing to be early adopters, plus the tech-centric nature of Rivian, plus those of us that can't satisfy that urge via Tesla due to EM being EM, and the previously discussed compensation for tech workers in general, I have always felt like this (my) demographic is the primary target for Rivian. That could certainly just be my own inherent bias showing, though.

There's also something to be said for the late-stage family growth that tends to happen amongst high-income tech workers. My age bracket would probably put me somewhere in the average range of having my 1.x kids at about 3-8 years old now, which seems a prime range for the family-oriented marketing and featuring Rivian has focused on.

It will be very interesting when I can see more of the Rivian community in person. I am guessing there will be a lot of diversity with a few bigger bell-ends of concentration (retirees and younger high-income workers).
Are you me?

Though honestly, when you are so entrenched in tech; you barely know anyone who isn't.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bless those of you that have to really deal with the policy & compliance side. I enjoy addressing those needs/requirements with the right solutions/tech, but the paperwork & audit side is painful for someone like me.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you me?

Though honestly, when you are so entrenched in tech; you barely know anyone who isn't.
I only know a handfull of people in the field up here (I have a history of being the first non-exec security hire and have always worked on smaller teams), but I'd bet good money that we have common connections. It definitely is a small world, though increasing in size.

Bless those of you that have to really deal with the policy & compliance side. I enjoy addressing those needs/requirements with the right solutions/tech, but the paperwork & audit side is painful for someone like me.
You're not alone there. Most people hate that side of things. I actually love it and am working to take my career more in that direction. I'm clearly a masochist :D
Sponsored