Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
https://adoptacharger.org/adopt-a-c...argers-in-national-park-and-recreation-areas/

ADOPT A CHARGER AND RIVIAN ANNOUNCE COLLABORATION TO INSTALL EV CHARGERS IN NATIONAL PARK AND RECREATION AREAS

January 13, 2022

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian teams up with Adopt a Charger to install FREE chargers at state and national parks benmoon_210816_RIVIAN-TAT_2216-2-980x1470

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The New Charging Stations, All Free to the Public, Will Vastly Expand EV Infrastructure at Yosemite National Park and Other Scenic Areas

”Since our founding in 2011, Yosemite has been our most requested charging location” for EV chargers/Adopt a Charger
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 13, 2022 — Adopt a Charger, the national nonprofit that provides free electric vehicle (EV) charging at scenic, cultural and civic destinations, today announced that American EV maker Rivian will sponsor dozens of EV charging stations in Yosemite National Park and the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA). The collaboration will enable more emission-free transportation and support EV adoption as EV charging infrastructure is enhanced within some of America’s most popular national parks.

Adopt a Charger has already upgraded 13 Yosemite charging stations to Rivian Waypoints all free to the public, at well-known locations such as The Ahwahnee hotel. Two additional stations will be installed when the park’s Tuolumne Meadows reopens this spring. Phase two of this project will add dozens more stations by spring 2023 to locations including the parking areas for Wawona and the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. The second phase is also supported by Yosemite Conservancy, the park’s philanthropic partner, and Yosemite Hospitality, its primary concessioner for accommodations and other services. The additional charging stations will vastly expand EV charging at the park, which previously had only three chargers.

In partnership with Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, 12 chargers at GGNRA, which encompasses some 82,000 acres of ecologically and historically significant landscape in the San Francisco Bay Area, including Muir Woods, have also been upgraded to Rivian Waypoints.

The stations are all high-capacity Level 2 chargers, which add approximately 25 miles of range per hour. The original installations were funded in part by the California Energy Commission.

Under the collaboration between Rivian and Adopt a Charger, Rivian will pay for the equipment and fund 10 years of operation and maintenance by the two organizations. Adopt a Charger, which celebrated its tenth anniversary last year, has installed over 400 chargers in 10 states, including in 26 California state parks and at major cultural institutions such as the Getty Center.

“Adopt a Charger’s mission is to enable zero-emission travel, accelerate EV adoption and encourage interaction between the EV-curious and owners, who are the vehicles’ best salespeople,” said Adopt a Charger founder and executive director Kitty Adams Hoksbergen. “Due to their sometimes-remote locations, EV charging is difficult to commercialize at parks, and installations can be complicated and expensive. Since our founding in 2011, Yosemite has been our most requested charging location. I am grateful to Rivian for a commitment that gives visitors the confidence to choose a more climate-friendly option when visiting this spectacular park.”

“Sustainable practices are essential to Yosemite’s future,” said Frank Dean, Yosemite Conservancy president. “Programs like this, along with Yosemite Bike Share and our expanded composting and landfill-waste reduction, will help to reduce environmental impacts and are an important part of the support we provide to help preserve and protect the park. The charging stations will also be a visual reminder to tread lightly while visiting Yosemite.”

“On behalf of Yosemite Hospitality and Aramark, we’re delighted to support the increased availability of electric vehicle charging stations in Yosemite National Park,” said Weston Spiegl, vice president of operations for Yosemite Hospitality. “Yosemite Hospitality is proud to partner with the National Park Service and Yosemite Conservancy to preserve the park for future generations to enjoy. We want to thank Rivian and Adopt a Charger for their fantastic support of this initiative to reduce emissions from vehicles.”

Rivian plans to install a total of 10,000 chargers across the U.S. and Canada through 2023 as part of their Waypoints network, including in the majority of Tennessee and Colorado state parks as part of its program to provide accessible EV charging to those adventuring in America’s most beautifully preserved environments.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
lostpacket

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer

Sponsored

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
It's going to be confusing to non-rivian owners to see waypoints that aren't free when some are.... But it's nice to see some free charging options.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
It's going to be confusing to non-rivian owners to see waypoints that aren't free when some are.... But it's nice to see some free charging options.
Who's paying for the charging? Is Rivian going to forever just pay for everyone's charging?

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Smart move. Natty Park visitation is strong and high volume over decades, and right in Rivian customer's wheelhouse.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Who's paying for the charging? Is Rivian going to forever just pay for everyone's charging?
I'd imagine this falls under "operations" of which the first decade is on Rivian's bill.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Wish we would hear something about the Adventure Network

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
At least with Tesla's destination chargers, the site owner pays for the electricity. That program initially had Tesla providing the equipment and covering the cost of installation only. It then transitioned to Tesla providing the equipment but not paying any other costs. I think they've largely ended the subsidized version of the program, but maybe it's still around?

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
At least with Tesla's destination chargers, the site owner pays for the electricity. That program initially had Tesla providing the equipment and covering the cost of installation only. It then transitioned to Tesla providing the equipment but not paying any other costs. I think they've largely ended the subsidized version of the program, but maybe it's still around?
I read it stating Rivian was paying for 10 years

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I read it stating Rivian was paying for 10 years
For the chargers installed as part of this particular deal, yes. I don't think that's going to be true for all of the Rivian Waypoint chargers. I believe Rivian has even said that some of the Waypoint chargers could have charging fees, and that it will be up to the host to decide. I think that was nukem was commenting on, and was what I was responding to.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
For the chargers installed as part of this particular deal, yes. I don't think that's going to be true for all of the Rivian Waypoint chargers. I believe Rivian has even said that some of the Waypoint chargers could have charging fees, and that it will be up to the host to decide. I think that was nukem was commenting on, and was what I was responding to.
https://adoptacharger.org/adopt-a-c...argers-in-national-park-and-recreation-areas/

Adopt a charge is a non profit that adds free chargering to parks.
Rivian is adding chargers through a Adopt a charge to these specific parks as branded Rivian chargers
Under the collaboration between Rivian and Adopt a Charger, Rivian will pay for the equipment and fund 10 years of operation and maintenance by the two organizations.
Sponsored