electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
Aside from the general hassle these direct sales laws create, what frustrates me the most is that the 6.25% sales tax I would otherwise pay the state of Texas will all go to the great state of Illinois instead. Or if Rivian chooses to transact the sale in Michigan they'll get 6% and Texas will get 0.25%. But I will have my Rivian, politicians and auto dealer associations be damned.

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
Couldn't find such a simple list, but:

link here (Yes, this is for Tesla, Rivian isn't selling anything yet. They're just preparing.)
Helpful thank you. The EV tide can't be stopped and eventually most if not all of the states still protecting the big 3 will have to relent. There's too many EV startups coming for them to tow the line for much longer IMO.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas, Isuzu Amigo, Kioti tractor
Colorado just passed bill allowing EVs to be sold directly to the consumer. :clap:
Passed senate only, now goes to house. Not law yet.

Aside from the general hassle these direct sales laws create, what frustrates me the most is that the 6.25% sales tax I would otherwise pay the state of Texas will all go to the great state of Illinois instead. Or if Rivian chooses to transact the sale in Michigan they'll get 6% and Texas will get 0.25%. But I will have my Rivian, politicians and auto dealer associations be damned.
It doesn't really work like that. You still register, and thus pay tax, in your home state. You just BUY it out of state.

You can even have it delivered (by a third party) in your state, so you never need to leave home.

These laws are silly.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS V-Sport, GMC Canyon, R1T pre-order, C8 pre-order
Helpful thank you. The EV tide can't be stopped and eventually most if not all of the states still protecting the big 3 will have to relent. There's too many EV startups coming for them to tow the line for much longer IMO.
The way I understand it, the states are protecting the Dealers - not the big 3. That is the same reason you can't buy them online. I interviewed with a startup several years ago that was trying to get an online vehicle sales system built for GM - it never went anywhere. I was told it was primarily due to pressure on state lawmakers from the Michigan ADA.

EyeOnRivian

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
Passed senate only, now goes to house. Not law yet.
Update: Bill passed CO House by over a 2:1 margin. (Source: LegiScan)

Status
Spectrum: Slight Partisan Bill (Democrat 2-1)
Action: 2020-03-12 - House Third Reading Passed - No Amendments​

Roll Calls
2020-03-12 - House - House: Third Reading Bill (Y: 42 N: 20 NV: 0 Abs: 3) [PASS]​

Officially still not a CO law until the governor signs the bill but that appears to be academic at this point.

For those interested in some of the background work that went into this bill, HyperChange just released a YT video where Gali interviewed Sean Mitchell just prior to the bill passing the CO House, And Sean also has a recent video but after the bill passed the House, (Video has a somewhat misleading thumbnail where the letters RIP on headstone appear next to a picture of the R1S.)