Administrator

Administrator
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
From Automotive News:
Rivian, is lobbying to open up Colorado’s dealer franchise law as it prepares to start production of electric pickups and SUVs this year. Lawmakers in that state could vote as soon as this week on a controversial bill that would allow any automaker — including those with existing franchised dealerships — to sell their EVs directly to customers.

An amendment added to the bill Friday, Feb. 21, designed to prevent traditional automakers from opening up next door to their franchised dealers did little to quell retailers’ concerns about what they say are the potential risks should the bill become law.
“We’re not enamored with the amendment,” said Tim Jackson, president of the Colorado Automobile Dealers Association. “You can’t put lipstick on a pig. It’s still a pig.”
Rivian is in a good position for direct sales in the company’s home state of Michigan. Rivian expects to already be able to sell directly in Arizona and is seeking dealer licenses in Illinois, Massachusetts, California and Florida to do the same. The company is pushing for a new bill similar to the changes requested in the Colorado law in Washington state.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Reaction score
First Name
Winston
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Preorder - Model Y, and RS1
If Rivian does not have a agreement like this in my state, does this mean that I can’t buy the car until they do?

Electronaut

Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
If Rivian does not have a agreement like this in my state, does this mean that I can’t buy the car until they do?
You can do what people in the states that don't allow direct-sales do when buying Teslas. Purchase online, take delivery out of state, drive it home and register it in your state.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Reaction score
First Name
Winston
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Preorder - Model Y, and RS1
Well, that is no fun!

delmi

Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Land Rover Discovery
Maybe you can move up in line by taking delivery in a low order state and driving it home ?
Just a first thought.

jfrench

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
You can do what people in the states that don't allow direct-sales do when buying Teslas. Purchase online, take delivery out of state, drive it home and register it in your state.
Only problem is you lose out on state tax credit. Here in Colorado it's $5k. Ouch. I emailed my State Rep and Senator a few days ago supporting the bill. I hope it passes.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric

Rad

Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2005 Accord, 1998 Jeep TJ
Thanks DucRider for posting that. Good info for us Rivian buyers in Colorado. Interesting in that the credit is scheduled to decrease (again) at the end of this year :(.

1582725304664.png

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla X 100D 2018
Virginia is a little weird (you probably already knew that) and the VADA has been fighting Tesla tooth and nail but Tesla has prevailed. There are now at least two Tesla stores in VA where you can see and test drive the cars. When it comes to actually ordering the car, though, you do it on line even though the fields may be in fact filled in by the "Delivery Experience Advisor" so to be precise I don't know whether Tesla is actually selling you the car or not. They will deliver to your home or to the Service Center.

Obviously Rivian will strive to have similar arrangements in place and given the precedent they ought to be able to brush VADA aside and prevail but at worst I think you will be able to order on line and have the vehicle trucked to you.

I caution people who contemplate taking delivery in another state to be sure that they do not get up in a double registration or, especially, a double taxation situation. I got nailed for that when I first moved to VA many years back.

jfrench

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
Nice find at @DucRider! Also, I see that the credit could be $8k based on the spec'd towing capacity of the R1T. Hoping I deposited early enough to get one before the end of the year!

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
Nice find at @DucRider! Also, I see that the credit could be $8k based on the spec'd towing capacity of the R1T. Hoping I deposited early enough to get one before the end of the year!
GVWR doesn't include trailer weight. GVWR for the R1T should be in the neighborhood of 7650 lbs with the 135 kWh pack.

Reactions: Rad

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Is there a comprehensive list where Rivian currently can and cannot sell? As well as a list of states where it is in dispute/pending legislation?

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas, Isuzu Amigo, Kioti tractor
Couldn't find such a simple list, but:
ECOWATCH said:
States that currently ban Tesla stores include Texas, West Virginia, Utah and Arizona, in addition to Connecticut. Some states, including Virginia and Indiana, allow a limited number of Tesla stores. New Jersey proposed a regulation that would have banned Tesla stores in 2015, but then relented last year, amending the regulation to allow four stores in New Jersey.
link here (Yes, this is for Tesla, Rivian isn't selling anything yet. They're just preparing.)

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Thanks for that - good info to know!

ElectricTrucking

Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
I've been to the Tesla store or what ever it is and have test drove cars in Arizona. Could even order one there. I don't understand the problem. Also there are service centers in the state.