Sponsored

Rivian Suspension Upgrade Coming...?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Tenneco to Supply Intelligent Suspension, Anti-Vibration Performance Materials Solutions For Rivian R1T and R1S Electric Vehicles

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-r1t-and-r1s-electric-vehicles-301687439.html

"One of several electronic suspension technologies available through Tenneco's Monroe® Intelligent Suspension portfolio, the CVSA2/Kinetic® H2 solution will be integrated with Rivian's flexible "skateboard" chassis, which also houses the vehicle's quad-motors, intelligent battery management system and other components. Originally developed for sport and hypercar models but now also available for performance SUV and light truck platforms, the CVSA2/Kinetic® H2 technology provides continuously controlled damping along with advanced, hydraulic roll control. The suspension's Kinetic® roll control system offers the driver excellent handling agility and comfort and delivers exceptional off-road performance. By eliminating the need for conventional sway bars, the technology helps reduce vehicle weight and decouples single wheel disturbances providing better contact to the road. Additionally, as compared to other damping and roll control systems, the Kinetic® interlinkage concept consumes very little energy, thereby helping to extend battery vehicle range.

R1T and R1S models also will be equipped with Tenneco 's Clevite® Elastomers front and rear suspension bushings, top mounts and other parts, contributing to the vehicles' smooth, quiet, comfortable ride dynamics. Clevite Elastomers products are engineered to provide premium, best-in-class performance in a full range of vehicle platforms and operating environments. By dramatically reducing noise, vibration and harshness (NVH), these innovative elastomeric formulations and components help OEMs provide clearly differentiated ride quality and cabin comfort."
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Tenneco is already the supplier for Rivian’s suspensions, no?

I’m pretty sure this is just referring to the current suspension setup and is a weirdly timed press release from Tenneco.

OP
OP

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Yes except that Rivian is including additional capabilities beyond the current. The press release is as of Today.

"Originally developed for sport and hypercar models but now also available for performance SUV and light truck platforms, the CVSA2/Kinetic® H2 technology provides continuously controlled damping along with advanced, hydraulic roll control."

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yes except that Rivian is including additional capabilities beyond the current. The press release is as of Today.

"Originally developed for sport and hypercar models but now also available for performance SUV and light truck platforms, the CVSA2/Kinetic® H2 technology provides continuously controlled damping along with advanced, hydraulic roll control."
This isn't anything new. This is already the platform in every existing truck. Guessing the only thing that is changed is their contractual release that stops them from being able to advertise that Rivian is their customer.

This is the previous news item that describes everything about the R1T without using the R1T or the Rivian name.

https://www.tenneco.com/news/news-d...-growing-preference-for-utility-and-adventure

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T

Sorry don’t want to sound redundant to the previous post, but doesn’t Rivian currently have this hydraulic roll control tech that was originally engineered for Mclaren (hypercar). This has been reported on since the launch of R1T. Not doubting a new report, just doesn’t sound like anything new for the vehicle.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Maybe they are just trying to remind everyone they are a supplier since Rivian has been in the news more lately? I also thought the R1 suspensions already had that technology?

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
The XREAS suspension in our old 2005 4Runner was similar to that. Wasn’t great for off-roading, but made the on-road handling impressive.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

The teslarati article made it sound like a V2 of the system with a few improvements. The article didn't point out what was in the current setup vs the new setup.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I agree it’s a confusing article. Is version 2.0 coming on the 2023 models?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

I know nothing about the suspension I have, but apparently there's a Kinetic H2 and a Kinetic X2.

https://www.tenneco.com/news/news-d...tions-for-cvsa2-kinetic-suspension-technology

How amusing would it be if we're all assuming the it's getting more features. But it is actually downgrading from the X2 to the H2 to save money?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I know nothing about the suspension I have, but apparently there's a Kinetic H2 and a Kinetic X2.

https://www.tenneco.com/news/news-d...tions-for-cvsa2-kinetic-suspension-technology

How amusing would it be if we're all assuming the it's getting more features. But it is actually downgrading from the X2 to the H2 to save money?
Rivian uses the H2 system already. H2 provides Roll control. X2 is Roll and Pitch control.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Suspension Upgrade Coming...? 1669671160579

The X2 system probably would be able to reduce the porpoising in sport mode on roads with a lot of seams and dips, but other than that, I'm not sure it would have much of an advantage for the Rivian.

Wording hasn't changed at least since this forum post in march of last year. https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/hydraulic-roll-control-other-faq-tid-bits.1233/

Last edited:

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary

Yodi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Truck, Prius
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry don’t want to sound redundant to the previous post, but doesn’t Rivian currently have this hydraulic roll control tech that was originally engineered for Mclaren (hypercar). This has been reported on since the launch of R1T. Not doubting a new report, just doesn’t sound like anything new for the vehicle.
👍 Great point... Probably just a Marketing tactic to get into headline news (who doesn't want 'hypercar tech'??).

Here's an old article published 03/29/22, saying pretty much the same thing.
https://www.ucarshop.com/marklines/713239

...here's another old Tenneco news release on their CVSA2 product (from the same time period):
https://www.tenneco.com/news/news-d...-growing-preference-for-utility-and-adventure

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
This claim seems to be made often. I'd be interested to know when McLaren's system was developed and how it compares with Citroen's system developed in 1956 and described here.

Enthusiasts might enjoy using the search term Citroen, moose test.

My apologies for the off-topic, but every time I see the McLaren reference I am reminded that is does not appear McLaren was the first to actually implement this idea successfully. And Citroen did it on a "garden variety" car (comparatively speaking).

That said, most everything benefits from iteration.