Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Just read this in WSJ:
Rivian Warns Dispute With Seat Supplier Threatens Production of Amazon Delivery Vans

"Rivian in March sued the supplier, Ohio-based Commercial Vehicle Group Inc., accusing it of violating the supply contracts for seats by nearly doubling an initially agreed-upon price per unit, according to records filed with a Michigan court."

"Rivian warned that if Commercial Vehicle Group stopped delivering the seats, the EV maker would face an imminent shutdown of its van production"
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does Rivian not do second sourcing? Isn’t that normally SOP in manufacturing?

stumptown85

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, XC60, Dakota
Occupation
Engineer

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Unrelated. The R1 seats are from Hyundai Transys Michigan.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Does anyone know if the R1 seat supplier is different?
They sued Commercial Vehicle Group Inc. We at least know the front passenger seat is not made by Commercial Vehicle Group Inc. Looking at their website, it appears they primarily make seats for light and commercial trucks (i.e. delivery vans) not passenger vehicles.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

It says no in the article and that they would need a year to ramp it up.

Could all be posturing and positioning though.

edit: looks like threads merged. This was in response to single supplier

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This smacks of an established vendor trying to play hardball with a relative newcomer and thinking they can just get away with it. I'm glad Rivian is sticking to their guns but it will be interesting to see who blinks first if push comes to shove and the supplier decides to go the distance.

Hopefully (for Rivian) the posturing of filing the lawsuit shows the vendor that they are serious and the vendor will either honor the original price or negotiate something that both parties find to be reasonable without taking it all the way to a judgement.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
If it stops EDV production, that sucks for Amazon, but would speed up R1 deliveries. :D

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Alright people

I am going to need 1000 rolls of duct tape and a 1200 Kirkland Signature-Soft, SleepRite pillows from Costco.

Let's do this.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
If it stops EDV production, that sucks for Amazon, but would speed up R1 deliveries. :D
I'm not sure that is the case. The EDV is on a completely separate production line and aside from the motors and batteries there are probably very few parts in common. And Rivian previously said that they have plenty of batteries. The odds that only pieces holding up R1 production are among the handful of parts that are also used on the EDV are quite low. I would not expect EDV shutdown would have any positive impact on R1.

It could even slow R1 production down if the team working on resolving the R1 supplier issues is diverted to working on EDV supplier issues.

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure that is the case. The EDV is on a completely separate production line and aside from the motors and batteries there are probably very few parts in common. And Rivian previously said that they have plenty of batteries. The odds that only pieces holding up R1 production are among the handful of parts that are also used on the EDV are quite low. I would not expect EDV shutdown would have any positive impact on R1.

It could even slow R1 production down if the team working on resolving the R1 supplier issues is diverted to working on EDV supplier issues.
I know that the EDV is a separate line. My thought was that production of R1 might be at least partially constrained by batteries. In this recent article RJ said chips and batteries are the constraints.

"Rivian plans to have enough supply of batteries and chips to produce 25,000 vehicles this year – half of what it previously planned."

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I know that the EDV is a separate line. My thought was that production of R1 might be at least partially constrained by batteries. In this recent article RJ said chips and batteries are the constraints.

"Rivian plans to have enough supply of batteries and chips to produce 25,000 vehicles this year – half of what it previously planned."
I wonder though, would they shift stock to r1 production, or preserve it for EDV so they aren’t caught flat-footed?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This is good news about EDV seat suit.
Sponsored