Rivian submitted new Swing and Drop Tailgate patent

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
"Rivian has submitted a patent for a “Swing and Drop Tailgate” door that would allow for easier access to the bed of the R1T pickup truck."

This from an article at the Teslarati website. Seems like a long overdue approach.

Electric car startup Rivian has submitted a patent for a “Swing and Drop Tailgate” door that would allow for easier access to the bed of the R1T pickup truck.

Rivian’s patent was inspired by a traditional truck’s tailgate door, which tends to restrict access to the bed of a pickup. The new design for the tailgate door utilizes multiple hinges, allowing several different trajectories of movement and multiple resting positions. The idea behind this patent is to improve upon the traditional truck bed door design, a concept Rivian feels has drawbacks.

“One drawback to this motion is that the tailgate now protrudes rearward of the vehicle, blocking the user from standing closer to the vehicle,” the patent states.

Other truck manufacturers have seen this traditional door as a drawback and have utilized a door that opens from the side with a hinge, a setup that’s pretty much identical to a regular door that’s used in homes or buildings.

However, Rivian argues that this idea also has its issues, citing the need for excessive amounts of space to open the side-hinged door. “Other motions of a tailgate, such as a side-hinged tailgate that opens to the side may allow a user to stand closer to the vehicle, but this motion requires significant clearance and does not allow the increased horizontal space that the dropped down tailgate provides. It would be desirable for a tailgate to be capable of more than one motion, along more than one trajectory, to more conveniently adapt to a user’s needs,” the patent’s description added.

Illustrations of the new tailgate patent from Rivian show the door having the ability to open much like a traditional tailgate, but also the ability to swing down behind the rear of the vehicle. This would give a person trying to gain access to the bed the ability to get closer to the truck, allowing for easier loading and unloading of items on the R1T’s primary cargo area.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian submitted new Swing and Drop Tailgate patent rivian-patent-swing-and-drop-scaled
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Wish Rivian would apply the same type of tailgate to the R1S for the same reasons. R1S split rear door (combo hatch and tailgate) leaves the tailgate section in the traditional horizontal position.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Wish Rivian would apply the same type of tailgate to the R1S for the same reasons. R1S split rear door (combo hatch and tailgate) leaves the tailgate section in the traditional horizontal position.
It's a short tailgate though, which I like. Added benefit of this is that you can open the top portion without things falling out, which is an issue with my Grand Cherokee (one piece).

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
It's a short tailgate though, which I like.
I wasn't aware. That's good to hear, thanks, as I was a little concerned about loadling/unloading. I also have (and had) a full, one piece hatch door. Fortunately both SUVs allow the window portion of the hatch to open so things falling out were mitigated but I do know what you mean. I'll have to make a point of it the next time I see the R1S in person to ask a Rivian rep to open the rear tailgate. Would also be curious to see it with the gate up but leave the top/window portion open. Wonder how, if at all, the R1S would handle being driven that way. (E.g. short runs from the hardware store.) Comes in handy when transporting something too long for the cargo area and not have to deal with securing it to the roof.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wasn't aware. That's good to hear, thanks, as I was a little concerned about loadling/unloading. I also have (and had) a full, one piece hatch door. Fortunately both SUVs allow the window portion of the hatch to open so things falling out were mitigated but I do know what you mean. I'll have to make a point of it the next time I see the R1S in person to ask a Rivian rep to open the rear tailgate. Would also be curious to see it with the gate up but leave the top/window portion open. Wonder how, if at all, the R1S would handle being driven that way. (E.g. short runs from the hardware store.) Comes in handy when transporting something too long for the cargo area and not have to deal with securing it to the roof.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian submitted new Swing and Drop Tailgate patent FB_IMG_1567641789329
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian submitted new Swing and Drop Tailgate patent 032983A0-85EA-44D3-BBE9-5662EAAAE6C0

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm betting there is a camera on the tailgate, right? If so, seems simple to prevent moving past 90, or reduce angle to avoid tailgate hitting the hitch.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I realize Rivian has to develop and design for the lowest common denominator, but at what point can someone say- check and see if you have a hitch/ball installed and don’t drop the tailgate past the 90 degree angle?

I was assured by Tesla that my Model X falcon doors would stop if they sensed something close by, but sometimes they just don’t. I’ve adopted the “trust but verify” mentality with her now. The same should go for the Rivian.

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
ahh, PoorPilot - I like the color of your Model X in your avatar. I've been looking at a couple Tesla's in that color :). Sorry for the unrelated post to this thread.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

ahh, PoorPilot - I like the color of your Model X in your avatar. I've been looking at a couple Tesla's in that color :). Sorry for the unrelated post to this thread.
Thanks! I think the blue with grey rims is a great combination. A great vehicle and if I didn’t think the Cybertruck was so ugly, I’d buy another Tesla in a heartbeat. Fortunately the green and blue R1S and R1T are growing on me so I’ll await my delivery dates.

Reactions: Rad

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
PoorPilot - I'd love a R1T in the same blue as your Model X! I'm luke warm/cold on the current Rivian blue. Maybe that will change before a decision needs to be made about following through with the actual configuration order.
Sponsored