Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

How does that address service issues?

The S1 indicated they had only 11 service vans, iirc. That's concerning.
Handles delivery logistics.

Honestly the way they should do mobile service is contracting out to local companies around the different areas. Similar to Amazon's delivery contractors (minus the pee bottles). Thus they wouldn't have "vans" the contractors would have the vans and then it would just require educating the contractors.
Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Right at the start, they're showing one on the assembly line. Looks like some badge on the front fender? What's this?
1634237184977.png
Text is on the protector that covers the fender while it is assembled. FR for front right.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Honestly the way they should do mobile service is contracting out to local companies around the different areas. Similar to Amazon's delivery contractors (minus the pee bottles). Thus they wouldn't have "vans" the contractors would have the vans and then it would just require educating the contractors.
Can't control quality with that model, unfortunately.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Can't control quality with that model, unfortunately.
It also creates a high risk of worker misclassification. If you're training contractors to work on and repair your company's vehicles, and those contractors are controlled by you, dependent on you, and only working for you, then they are likely employees, not contractors.

If they are all going to be considered employees legally then it doesn't really solve the issue of Rivian's service build-out.

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
I am loving the optimism here.

Best case with 11 weeks left in the year. Take a couple weeks out for downtime, holidays and R1S introduction if you believe everything in the video

9 weeks at 800 a week gets us to ~6000-7000 R1s by the end of the year.. I would be impressed.

I think if they did that service, logistics would quickly become the bottleneck.
My 2-cent guess for end of year..about 9488 R1 vehicles (both flavors) off the line by end of December.
About 2600 for Oct (prob high), 3444 for Nov (maybe close considering weather, unforeseen supplier issues, some changeover slowdown for R1S, etc), and maybe another 3444 for December (maybe a tad low). All based on Oct still ramping up to ā€œ10/hrā€, approx/avg 6-day weeks, 10 per hour..but only 14 hrs (not 16.. yet) of productivity, and other misc / unforeseen inefficiencies, etc.
And then of course..assuming IPO is done, R1S ramp up going smooth enough, hiring increases going well, etc..we could easily see 4000 for January, and a continual ramp up well into Spring as they target 15 or 16 per hour for an honest full 2 shifts.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Right at the start, they're showing one on the assembly line. Looks like some badge on the front fender? What's this?
1634237184977.png
Itā€™s a moulded fender cover to protect the fender during assembly

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

betcha most of their mobile service will be contracted to cox.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
betcha most of their mobile service will be contracted to cox.
Don't quote me on this but I believe Rivian has stated this will not be the case. IIRC, based on the S-1, their primary involvement will have something to do with used Rivians.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't quote me on this but I believe Rivian has stated this will not be the case. IIRC, based on the S-1, their primary involvement will have something to do with used Rivians.
Ahh that makes sense, since cox owns Mannheim.
they could leverage coxā€™s expertise in the fleet management side while getting going though. And cox does have a seat on the board.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Automobile factories always run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's universal.
:p
There are plenty of historical articles online indicating otherwise. They want to run 3 shifts as it maximizes resource utilization. But they don't run three shifts if sales volume is not there. Here's one example from 2018 at the Croz plant. They ran 2 shifts and reduced to one.

Rivian will certainly want to run 24x7, but there's no guarantee they are doing it right now during ramp up.

"General Motors Co. is moving to one shift at its Lordstown Assembly plant in Ohio, cutting a second shift and offering buyouts of up to $60,000 to affected workers.

The shift elimination is effective June 18. It could affect 1,500 jobs at the 3,000-employee plant that builds the Chevrolet Cruze.

The plant has been operating on two shifts since last year when GM eliminated a third shift at the plant."

Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
There are plenty of historical articles online indicating otherwise. They want to run 3 shifts as it maximizes resource utilization. But they don't run three shifts if sales volume is not there. Here's one example from 2018 at the Croz plant. They ran 2 shifts and reduced to one.

Rivian will certainly want to run 24x7, but there's no guarantee they are doing it right now during ramp up.

"General Motors Co. is moving to one shift at its Lordstown Assembly plant in Ohio, cutting a second shift and offering buyouts of up to $60,000 to affected workers.

The shift elimination is effective June 18. It could affect 1,500 jobs at the 3,000-employee plant that builds the Chevrolet Cruze.

The plant has been operating on two shifts since last year when GM eliminated a third shift at the plant."
Sorry my sarcasm didnā€™t come through. I know that many auto plants donā€™t operate 24/7. Rivian has stated on multiple occasions that they will only be running 2 shifts per day, 6 days per week.

I was just being snide because earlier this week I was berated by another member for stating that not all car plants run 24/7, even after it was proven to be true.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
How does that address service issues?

The S1 indicated they had only 11 service vans, iirc. That's concerning.
Thst was one of my biggest surprises from the S1 too. Probably easy enough for them to buy more at the last minute though.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Good video. Encouraging stuff.

LEs are being produced but by hand unfortunately. I did not see any robots operating and there were a few with shrink wrap still on them.

Seems like deliveries lag production.

Clearly Rivian is not in the production ramp yet but they are producing vehicles and steadily moving towards the ramp.

Rivianā€™s methodical approach IMO will lead to high quality vehicles and world class manufacturing.

With a 3/21/21 pre order date I am still thinking sometime 2023.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Good video. Encouraging stuff.

LEs are being produced but by hand unfortunately. I did not see any robots operating and there were a few with shrink wrap still on them.

Seems like deliveries lag production.

Clearly Rivian is not in the production ramp yet but they are producing vehicles and steadily moving towards the ramp.

Rivianā€™s methodical approach IMO will lead to high quality vehicles and world class manufacturing.

With a 3/21/21 pre order date I am still thinking sometime 2023.
Iā€™m pretty sure they did the tour a couple of weeks ago but just posted the discussion about it. A lot can happen in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored