Sponsored

Rivian should focus on features that set them apart from the rest of the industry, not AA/CP.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

You're right. So it should be an option not to have it in my car. Rivian obviously made that the default option :clap: :CWL:
Why are we fighting so hard to keep an option you don’t have to use from being available to those that do want it?

It’s like saying, I don’t ever use use heated seats so therefore it shouldn’t be an option for anyone else either.
Sponsored

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Why are we fighting so hard to keep an option you don’t have to use from being available to those that do want it?

It’s like saying, I don’t ever use use heated seats so therefore it shouldn’t be an option for anyone else either.
It's more like they shipped a truck with heated seat hardware, but haven't yet added the icon to turn them on. So rather than finishing that, we demand them to add software integration for our AliExpress heated seat covers.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
It's more like they shipped a truck with heated seat hardware, but haven't yet added the icon to turn them on. So rather than finishing that, we demand them to add software integration for our AliExpress heated seat covers.
Oh if only recreating every single app and feature I use on my phone was as simple as adding an icon...

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Oh if only recreating every single app and feature I use on my phone was as simple as adding an icon...
What did you people do before CP and AA? Do that now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Used my phone while driving and a bluetooth connection. That was in 2015.

I am doing that now. It's a distinct step backwards both in experience and safety.
Happy you found a solution that works for you.

I'm actually pretty surprised we haven't heard of someone taking their display apart to figure out if they can wire it up to be able to mirror another device. I guess not having AA/CP isn't really that big of a problem for the people that would be capable.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars

I'm actually pretty surprised we haven't heard of someone taking their display apart to figure out if they can wire it up to be able to mirror another device. I guess not having AA/CP isn't really that big of a problem for the people that would be capable.
It "works" in a sense I guess, but it doesn't really solve the problem we have with the absence of screen projection which is that the experience doesn't live up to the user experience I was able to achieve in a 2010 C6 Corvette with a $400 radio upgrade and a feature that is near-ubiquitous in the industry.

I think the best route is a software hack rather than hardware.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Used my phone while driving and a bluetooth connection. That was in 2015.

I am doing that now. It's a distinct step backwards both in experience and safety.
How is making it harder to use a device you shouldn't be using while driving making things less safe.
:rolleyes:

I'm honestly really happy they left it at bluetooth and moved on. Although that being said, I'd ask this, answering a call in a Rivian? Do I have to look at the screen or do I get a button on the steering wheel?

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
How is making it harder to use a device you shouldn't be using while driving making things less safe.
:rolleyes:

I'm honestly really happy they left it at bluetooth and moved on. Although that being said, I'd ask this, answering a call in a Rivian? Do I have to look at the screen or do I get a button on the steering wheel?
How is CarPlay harder? It's much easier, especially with the dashboard view added a few versions back. The entire point of CarPlay was to allow people to use their phone apps safely while driving.

We get it, you're happy with the neutered system. Adding CarPlay would not stop you from continuing to use it the way you like.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It "works" in a sense I guess, but it doesn't really solve the problem we have with the absence of screen projection which is that the experience doesn't live up to the user experience I was able to achieve in a 2010 C6 Corvette with a $400 radio upgrade and a feature that is near-ubiquitous in the industry.

I think the best route is a software hack rather than hardware.
The user experience of the radio in my 2013 Camaro was utter garbage compared to what the Rivian offers. So it's kind of a hard comparison for me to make. I would have taken anything over that, and it was definitely one of the nicer radio options of the era.

The usability of a lot of the apps that work for AA is pretty garbage compared to picking up my phone and doing it that way, so again, I'm still not sure there's enough to gain for me.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
The user experience of the radio in my 2013 Camaro was utter garbage compared to what the Rivian offers. So it's kind of a hard comparison for me to make. I would have taken anything over that, and it was definitely one of the nicer radio options of the era.
I put the Pioneer AppRadio 4 in the Corvette. It was worlds better than the OEM GM system, no argument there. The aesthetics and performance of Rivian's system is great, no complaints there. If I had not used CarPlay as extensively as I have in the past 7 years I'd probably not know what I was missing, but seeing how it has evolved and the way it enables so much functionality in a safe and easy-to-use interface on your car's native display it's frustrating to see hostility towards it from people who can simply choose not to use it.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

chandlerr85

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Jeep Wrangler, C6 Corvette Z06, R1S

been lurking this thread for a while now, and I've enjoyed the back and forth as simple entertainment, but I feel like stoking the fire here....

you seriously can't imagine why no one's taken apart a brand new 100k vehicle for a minor improvement in functionality? while I haven't gotten my rivian yet, I'm probably one of those people who is capable enough to do those kind of things (I've worked on my own cars a bit and installed a few car stereos in my time), and I wouldn't even dream of taking apart the Rivian for this.

As additional context, I put an aftermarket head unit in my Jeep a few years back that has wireless AA. My C6 at the time also had an aftermarket head unit but older, and didn't support AA. It almost got to the point that the lack of integration made me not want to drive the car anymore. So ultimately I spent the money and bought and installed a wireless AA unit for my corvette. Something about the seamlessness of getting into your car and having your playlists that you've been managing on your computer/phone just show up or places you've searched. Regularly I'll look up a place in google maps on my computer, get in my car and just have to click on it to start navigating.

So back to the AA in the Rivian thing, you guys keep coming up with ridiculous arguments based on resource allocation assumptions to keep arguing against Rivian putting AA/CP in the truck. If all the software challenged legacy auto companies can integrate it, you don't think Rivian could easily do it as well?

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If all the software challenged legacy auto companies can integrate it, you don't think Rivian could easily do it as well?
AA ran horribly in the Hummer EV. But yeah, go legacy manufacturers I guess.

you seriously can't imagine why no one's taken apart a brand new 100k vehicle for a minor improvement in functionality? while I haven't gotten my rivian yet, I'm probably one of those people who is capable enough to do those kind of things (I've worked on my own cars a bit and installed a few car stereos in my time), and I wouldn't even dream of taking apart the Rivian for this.
Absolutely huge difference between taking a radio off the dash looking for a hardwired input to adapt versus what I'm suggesting. I've got friends that would be capable of doing what I'm suggesting, but they're not the type that would care enough about being able to use their phone on the screen either.
Sponsored