Sponsored

Rivian should focus on features that set them apart from the rest of the industry, not AA/CP.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Are you just talking about how the striker sits ever so slightly proud of the plastic used as the step? The internal mechanism would have to be moved out. Probably doable but I'm not so sure they could do it without having to redesign it. I'll look more closely at the bale sometime later.
I mean the opening to the tunnel is obstructed by the bracket holding the striker assembly.
Here's a photo that shows the mechanism and conveniently shows the silhouette to illustrate how much of the tunnel is obscured, but the angle of the photo diminishes the actual size of the mechanism.
I've been futzing around with a sliding shelf and a box on the shelf. The latch mechanism limits the size of things like the camp kitchen. I'm sufficiently optimistic to think one of the causes for delaying the camp kitchen is to relocate that assembly … (unlikely, but anything's possible … after all, they have to do a lot of work to finish Max Pack and that could well mean an opportunity to change the stamping for that hatch and the fender.)
It seems to me they could have put it in the fender under the hatch cover. The hatch itself is beefy and would handle the latch being off-center of the hinge. The hatch looks heavily over-engineered as if they had other plans for it (I'm surprised it's not hollowed out as a compartment.)
Rivian also needs to cut the quarter panel at the C pillar – it's an expensive "fender bender" to replace that whole panel extending to the head of the A pillar.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian should focus on features that set them apart from the rest of the industry, not AA/CP. 1674083506719
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I mean the opening to the tunnel is obstructed by the bracket holding the striker assembly.
Here's a photo that shows the mechanism and conveniently shows the silhouette to illustrate how much of the tunnel is obscured, but the angle of the photo diminishes the actual size of the mechanism.
I've been futzing around with a sliding shelf and a box on the shelf. The latch mechanism limits the size of things like the camp kitchen. I'm sufficiently optimistic to think one of the causes for delaying the camp kitchen is to relocate that assembly … (unlikely, but anything's possible … after all, they have to do a lot of work to finish Max Pack and that could well mean an opportunity to change the stamping for that hatch and the fender.)
It seems to me they could have put it in the fender under the hatch cover. The hatch itself is beefy and would handle the latch being off-center of the hinge. The hatch looks heavily over-engineered as if they had other plans for it (I'm surprised it's not hollowed out as a compartment.)
Rivian also needs to cut the quarter panel at the C pillar – it's an expensive "fender bender" to replace that whole panel extending to the head of the A pillar.

1674083506719.png
The inside of the bed is there, and only being on one side probably would compromise the seal

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The inside of the bed is there, and only being on one side probably would compromise the seal
The bed is inside the wheel arch, there's a pretty large void space (at least as large as the mechanism.) I wonder about the tire at maximum squish onto the bump stops, but otherwise, there's a lot of void space in the bed sides.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

1674083506719.png
I think the leading edge being so far from the latch would create issues with the leading edge shut line, the leading edge seal, or both. If there is only a single latch, it always seems to be opposite the hinge(s) in automotive applications like hood lids, trunk lids, and traditional doors. Tailgates, lift gates, and rear-hinged doors which cannot have the latch opposite the hinge(s) typically have 2 latches: one on either side. There may be exceptions I’m not remembering.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
100% agree with thread title. Could care less if CP is added. I‘ve lived with the easy workarounds so far and I’m good with it. Someone else posted the RIGHT reason why aa/cp will never happen just like Tesla. Almost all functions for the vehicle are via the screen. Would you really want to switch interfaces just to change temp or vehicle modes? Some things could probably work with voice I suppose. IMO the UI is beautiful and fairly simple. Love the aerial nav/map. AA has always reminded me of fisher-price.
The lack of CP disrespects the consumer, and not for legitimate UI reasons: it could easily be just another app in the bar. Rumor has it Apple will soon offer theming and widgets in the instrument cluster, so everything will be consistent on every screen.

The current infotainment is a Potemkin village. Take navigation, for instance. The images are free to Rivian from Google; great. The actual turn by turn navigation and traffic is cobbled together from free crowdsourced sources and sucks, all in the name of being cheap. Search is terrible, both in terms of relevancy and UX. You can’t even search the current region you’ve centered on the screen. The charger map is woefully inadequate compared to PlugShare—even missing big ticket 350 kW Electrify Canada chargers. The GPS desperately needs a Kalman filter.

The music icons are all black and difficult to distinguish. In contrast, CarPlay’s icons and interface is intentionally big and bold for safety. There’s no integration with my calendar; my next appointment doesn’t pop up in navigation. I can’t use my favorite personal assistant to send text messages, or my music service, or podcasts. There’s no third party parking app. There’s no CarTube for watching videos while charging. When Starbucks eventually lets you order in the drive through from CarPlay, that will be missing, too.

There is no 5G and no second-SIM backup for rural areas (I use T-Mobile on my phone, with automatic failover to prepaid Verizon in dead zones). Voice recognition is inferior to Google. No audio FaceTime for better audio quality. No Telegram. Soon I’ll have to pay for the data, when I already pay for data on my phone. The hardware is already obsolete, but I get a new phone with more of everything every few years. Soon it will be 6G or Starlink. GPS upgrades every few years for even better accuracy. Satellite SOS.

Software engineers are extremely expensive and the best don’t work for Rivian; they make 4x as much working for Google or Apple, which offer large amounts of stock that appreciates at 20% a year. Good software engineers also want to work in an organization where software is the #1 priority. So it’s doubtful that Rivian is going to make a platform that is better than thousands of engineers can do at at a big tech company. And because Rivian has tens of thousands of cars and not billions of devices, app developers aren’t going to invest like they would for a standard platform like iOS or Android. Rivian may improve, but the state of the art will always be miles ahead.

Finally—and I can’t emphasize this enough—busy people don’t want to deal with a foreign interface. I have three cars. Now, when I get into the Rivian, I have to switch contexts and deal with a bunch of bullshit just to live my life. Different voice recognition, different nav, different music, different UI paradigm. And it’s not better, it’s worse. It’s an hassle and it all adds up for someone who is already extremely busy. And everything is already in my phone! There’s no need to pay this tax!

Let’s admit it: a proprietary infotainment system is an attempt to clone Tesla at best and a sheer greed play at worst. It shows contempt for the buyer and will age like milk. It will eventually end up like Betamax or the Zune.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
The lack of CP disrespects the consumer, and not for legitimate UI reasons: it could easily be just another app in the bar. Rumor has it Apple will soon offer theming and widgets in the instrument cluster, so everything will be consistent on every screen.

The current infotainment is a Potemkin village. Take navigation, for instance. The images are free to Rivian from Google; great. The actual turn by turn navigation and traffic is cobbled together from free crowdsourced sources and sucks, all in the name of being cheap. Search is terrible, both in terms of relevancy and UX. You can’t even search the current region you’ve centered on the screen. The charger map is woefully inadequate compared to PlugShare—even missing big ticket 350 kW Electrify Canada chargers. The GPS desperately needs a Kalman filter.

The music icons are all black and difficult to distinguish. In contrast, CarPlay’s icons and interface is intentionally big and bold for safety. There’s no integration with my calendar; my next appointment doesn’t pop up in navigation. I can’t use my favorite personal assistant to send text messages, or my music service, or podcasts. There’s no third party parking app. There’s no CarTube for watching videos while charging. When Starbucks eventually lets you order in the drive through from CarPlay, that will be missing, too.

There is no 5G and no second-SIM backup for rural areas (I use T-Mobile on my phone, with automatic failover to prepaid Verizon in dead zones). Voice recognition is inferior to Google. No audio FaceTime for better audio quality. No Telegram. Soon I’ll have to pay for the data, when I already pay for data on my phone. The hardware is already obsolete, but I get a new phone with more of everything every few years. Soon it will be 6G or Starlink. GPS upgrades every few years for even better accuracy. Satellite SOS.

Software engineers are extremely expensive and the best don’t work for Rivian; they make 4x as much working for Google or Apple, which offer large amounts of stock that appreciates at 20% a year. Good software engineers also want to work in an organization where software is the #1 priority. So it’s doubtful that Rivian is going to make a platform that is better than thousands of engineers can do at at a big tech company. And because Rivian has tens of thousands of cars and not billions of devices, app developers aren’t going to invest like they would for a standard platform like iOS or Android. Rivian may improve, but the state of the art will always be miles ahead.

Finally—and I can’t emphasize this enough—busy people don’t want to deal with a foreign interface. I have three cars. Now, when I get into the Rivian, I have to switch contexts and deal with a bunch of bullshit just to live my life. Different voice recognition, different nav, different music, different UI paradigm. And it’s not better, it’s worse. It’s an hassle and it all adds up for someone who is already extremely busy. And everything is already in my phone! There’s no need to pay this tax!

Let’s admit it: a proprietary infotainment system is an attempt to clone Tesla at best and a sheer greed play at worst. It shows contempt for the buyer and will age like milk. It will eventually end up like Betamax or the Zune.
99 problems and a Riv ain't one

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Finally—and I can’t emphasize this enough—busy people don’t want to deal with a foreign interface.
The zen in me says perhaps try being less busy

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I'm late to the game, but honestly NOT having AA/CP was one of the reasons I like the Rivian. Both experiences I've had with AA (rentals) I absolutely HATED it and gave up using my phone on the vehicle.

That being said, to each their own, but focusing on quality, current issues, and production is more important to me than focusing on adding new features (eg AA/CP).

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
I'm late to the game, but honestly NOT having AA/CP was one of the reasons I like the Rivian. Both experiences I've had with AA (rentals) I absolutely HATED it and gave up using my phone on the vehicle.

That being said, to each their own, but focusing on quality, current issues, and production is more important to me than focusing on adding new features (eg AA/CP).
You aren't required to use AA/CP in a vehicle; it is an opiton.

Sponsored

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T

Well said!

Btw, I still have a zune in my desk drawer somewhere. Need to pull it out for nostalgia purposes.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
You aren't required to use AA/CP in a vehicle; it is an opiton.
You're right. So it should be an option not to have it in my car. Rivian obviously made that the default option :clap: :CWL:

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You're right. So it should be an option not to have it in my car. Rivian obviously made that the default option :clap: :CWL:
AA works just fine in my Rivian, at least as far as I've tested it.
Sponsored