Sponsored

Rivian should focus on features that set them apart from the rest of the industry, not AA/CP.

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
why would you need to keep buying new vehicles... there are really only two different versions for compatibility, wired or wireless. Regardless, the app will continue to update and you shouldn't need to change your car.

For reference I have one of the earliest pioneer head units that supported wireless AA I got in 2019, and it still works today just the same as any other system. Android auto, the app, recently updated and still no issues with the new version of the app.
The functionality in question was "when it was a full-screen, single app experience".
That's decided by the vehicle mfg, not Apple, whose concern is the experience within their app.
Because that's what this is: two competing interfaces.

Anyways, it was a joke about "CarPlay fixes everything": not when CarPlay is really just the vehicle mfg giving up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

I don't understand your UI concern. The space dedicated for screen projection would be static, non-responsive. It would slot into the existing space dedicated to apps and would not change. The top and bottom bars would always be present, and overlays like the climate controls, profiles, and garage door panes would dim the app space and layer on top, exactly as they behave today with navigation, media, gear guard, etc.
Re-working assets would be necessary for a split-screen UI. The seamless blending of interfaces would be a lot harder to achieve. In either case, Apple’s own design guidelines state you should not mix car’s UI elements with CarPlay’s to avoid confusion and clutter. Here’s a reference video: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/722/

If you look at where Apple is headed with their IAP2 stack, it’s clear they want people to use CP as the primary interface for everything, not just infotainment. This is excellent for cars with poor UI (HondaLink *cough*), but has greatly diminished returns for cars with an already good interface.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Re-working assets would be necessary for a split-screen UI. The seamless blending of interfaces would be a lot harder to achieve. In either case, Apple’s own design guidelines state you should not mix car’s UI elements with CarPlay’s to avoid confusion and clutter. Here’s a reference video: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/722/

If you look at where Apple is headed with their IAP2 stack, it’s clear they want people to use CP as the primary interface for everything, not just infotainment. This is excellent for cars with poor UI (HondaLink *cough*), but has greatly diminished returns for cars with an already good interface.
Who's asking for or saying Rivian would need to add "split-screen" functionality? No one is asking for that. Apple's dashboard view offers its own split-screen interface with your map, directions, media, etc and is all housed within the CarPlay interface. Just because Ford, for example, has added a two-thirds/one-third split screen interface which shows CarPlay alongside a native panel doesn't mean Rivian has to follow suit.

Also, your link is to a WWDC video from 2016. A lot has changed in seven years, and clearly Apple has changed their tune as evidenced by the photos of different systems I shared earlier.

If I had any ability to mock up what the experience could look like I would do so. I think those on the fence about how it could integrate seamlessly would get on board.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

So I have to keep buying new vehicles to get this updated CP/AA experience?
Firmware updates and app updates. My old Chevy WT recently got the AA "Coolwalk" update. It's the bee's knees. Tbh I'll cancel my Rivian reservation if they haven't got this sorted by the time my number gets called. Just .02 cents.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Firmware updates and app updates. My old Chevy WT recently got the AA "Coolwalk" update. It's the bee's knees. Tbh I'll cancel my Rivian reservation if they haven't got this sorted by the time my number gets called. Just .02 cents.
When's your number supposed to be up? GM hasn't been great about giving meaningful updates to their vehicle's firmwares, I definitely see some advantage to the phone format for their older vehicles, but it didn't gain much with the Hummer EV having the most recent sauce anyway. If, moving forward, they are serious about being more of a "software company" I'd expect that to continue.

Tbirdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
Finally—and I can’t emphasize this enough—busy people don’t want to deal with a foreign interface. I have three cars. Now, when I get into the Rivian, I have to switch contexts and deal with a bunch of bullshit just to live my life. Different voice recognition, different nav, different music, different UI paradigm. And it’s not better, it’s worse. It’s an hassle and it all adds up for someone who is already extremely busy. And everything is already in my phone! There’s no need to pay this tax!

Let’s admit it: a proprietary infotainment system is an attempt to clone Tesla at best and a sheer greed play at worst. It shows contempt for the buyer and will age like milk. It will eventually end up like Betamax or the Zune.
Agree. Add a "foreign" interface that also is inferior, and it is frustrating. I LOVE my truck. I HATE the mobile experience, from charging (I mean broken wireless, integrated charging) to forcing me to use a far inferior map system that can't seem to get the address correct, either via Alexa (maybe 50-60% is able find what I ask) to typed entries. I just really don't get the thought that they can be better than Google or even an inferior Apple Maps with their own - focus on the truck experience, leverage the smarts and infrastructure of others.
Sponsored