domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

That’s why I wondered if I should change our interior to BM to try and get a party invite. 😅
Hang in there. We RB/OC/AT/UB off-roaders will reap the rewards of Rivian learning from early production mistakes. I'm even hopeful I'll get the new powered tonneau design. But it's too much to hope for the winch to be ready this year, so I'm counting on that being a 2023 upgrade at the service center.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

But why wouldn’t it go to the next person in line with that same configuration? It can’t be that the others in line behind the first person are all too far from a SC can it? I think I just need to stop trying to rationalize and decode the Rivian lottery. 😂
That's sort of what Rivian was doing at first but the problem is that logistically, it creates an issue because many orphaned vehicles are already on their way to, or at, a specific service center. Prior to the shop, an orphaned vehicle would seemingly go to whoever could take it with the same configuration out of the same service center and individual guides could assign someone to an orphaned vehicle. This created situations where people with very recent orders were getting deliveries ahead of people who had been waiting for years and customers were very upset by it.

Then Rivian created the shop to help solve this issue. Orphaned trucks, along with extra batched production, goes into the shop and people with older orders can select a truck and get earlier delivery rather than waiting for their exact config. Notably, the shop also seems to be regional because not everyone sees the same available vehicles at the same time, depending on location.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

We have a July ‘21 preorder and we live about 20 miles from the Rockville, MD SC and haven’t been contacted yet.
I thought that I've read that the Rockville, Md location was temporary, and has already shut down. I don't know for sure, its too far for me to drive by and see.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

in mind, though, it didn't just appear... I received an email welcoming me to the shop and received a guide at the same time.
I got a shop invite August 17 via email, and my guide silently showed up on my account page with no email notice on August 20. After nine days of not getting an introduction from my assigned guide, I initiated contact and requested a phone call to confirm my configuration. I haven't been invited to start the eight steps yet.

For the past month of occasional checking I have seen close to zero R1Ts available from the Shop. Occasionally a spinach omelette would appear. Today there are 25 R1Ts - 7 launch greens, 6 yellow, 3 blue, 2 midnight, 2 glacier, 2 red, 1 silver, 1 limestone, 1 granite. Six are OC. 20 are launch edition!

Last edited:

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Massive is a bit overstated.
100% of vehicles, you think the service centers can handle that? They're still ramping up. Massive is relative.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
That's sort of what Rivian was doing at first but the problem is that logistically, it creates an issue because many orphaned vehicles are already on their way to, or at, a specific service center. Prior to the shop, an orphaned vehicle would seemingly go to whoever could take it with the same configuration out of the same service center and individual guides could assign someone to an orphaned vehicle. This created situations where people with very recent orders were getting deliveries ahead of people who had been waiting for years and customers were very upset by it.

Then Rivian created the shop to help solve this issue. Orphaned trucks, along with extra batched production, goes into the shop and people with older orders can select a truck and get earlier delivery rather than waiting for their exact config. Notably, the shop also seems to be regional because not everyone sees the same available vehicles at the same time, depending on location.
But that would mean there really weren’t any older preorder holders around that SC so it had to go to a newer order? There’s got to be more than a handful of preorder holders around each SC. Their process for matching vehicles with people has never really made sense. I’m sure it’s way more complicated than I’m envisioning, but it seems like a serious order fulfillment flaw. I, like you and many others, feel bad for the people who seemingly got leapfrogged for no apparent reason. Although as domo just pointed out, some of those that were skipped may have dodged a bullet by getting a slightly more refined truck.

I see the reason and benefit behind the launch of the R1 Shop. But I also think it was launched a little too early. No offense to anyone who has purchased a truck on there already. I’m happy every time someone gets a truck because it benefits everyone in some way. However, I believe this whole thing could have been handled a little more orderly instead of trying to reinvent the order fulfillment wheel.

I didn’t know that the Shop might be regional because that would actually make more sense if that’s true! 🙂

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
I thought that I've read that the Rockville, Md location was temporary, and has already shut down. I don't know for sure, its too far for me to drive by and see.
Haha I’ll have to check that out and see because that will affect our expectations a bit! Thanks for the heads up!

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

But that would mean there really weren’t any older preorder holders around that SC so it had to go to a newer order? There’s got to be more than a handful of preorder holders around each SC. Their process for matching vehicles with people has never really made sense.
Well...it was more like there wasn't an older preorder holder with the exact same config. When they were trying to reassign orphaned vehicles prior to the shop it seemingly went by configuration, not by order date.

Except of course when it didn't, because there were also times when guides had lists of available vehicles and if you were lucky enough to have a guide you could grab an orphaned truck of a different configuration.

All of that is to say that before the shop, handling extra vehicles was kind of a mess, completely inconsistent, and a lot of people were complaining because of it. The shop is actually a vast improvement from what Rivian was doing before and when it first started it was only available to 2018 and 2019 preorder orders. They've since expanded eligibility, though the exact criteria isn't certain.

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Prius, 2022 Pacifica PHEV, 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
Curmudgeon
It was not a Service Center, just a temporary distribution point.

I also read here that it shut down already. Despite driving past it twice a week or so, I hadn't noticed.

Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

But that would mean there really weren’t any older preorder holders around that SC so it had to go to a newer order? There’s got to be more than a handful of preorder holders around each SC. Their process for matching vehicles with people has never really made sense. I’m sure it’s way more complicated than I’m envisioning, but it seems like a serious order fulfillment flaw. I, like you and many others, feel bad for the people who seemingly got leapfrogged for no apparent reason. Although as domo just pointed out, some of those that were skipped may have dodged a bullet by getting a slightly more refined truck.

I see the reason and benefit behind the launch of the R1 Shop. But I also think it was launched a little too early. No offense to anyone who has purchased a truck on there already. I’m happy every time someone gets a truck because it benefits everyone in some way. However, I believe this whole thing could have been handled a little more orderly instead of trying to reinvent the order fulfillment wheel.

I didn’t know that the Shop might be regional because that would actually make more sense if that’s true! 🙂
All this has been rehashed over and over on other threads. Summary:
- Yes it is regional, but not in a coherent fashion. Bellevue, Atlanta, and Chicago service centers often had similar builds available. While LA or Boston would have nothing. This possibly has to do with current service center capacity availability, and no necessarily geographic proximity.
- Yes Shop invites are roughly based on preorder date. Explore and Max packs were excluded initially. I had to change my order to Large pack to get an invite.
- Only a small portion of these trucks are orphans. As in a very small portion. Most are built to spec based on batching. I think conversion rate has been very high so far (though this hasn't been shared with the public as far as I know).
- Yes it makes sense to just have a giant spreadsheet, but Rivian has decided it isn't worth there time to do things this way. I think their backend order tracking system is kind of a shitshow, so the Shop helped them get past this deficiency.
- The entire point of the Shop is to assign trucks as quickly as possible. Rivian doesn't give one shit who takes it so long as they are moving inventory. They have long proven they don't really care if a 12/18 preorder or 12/21 preorder gets a truck. The fewer early preorders that are left, the less they care.
- Oh one last thing is proximity to SC. That was more important early on, but there are plenty of reports of people living 150+ miles from one and getting their truck dropped off via flatbed. Good luck if you live in the far corners of North Dakota or Alaska. But the majority of people probably OK from a location perspective.

89hoya

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram 1500, 2019 Model 3, 1995 Bronco
It was not a Service Center, just a temporary distribution point.

I also read here that it shut down already. Despite driving past it twice a week or so, I hadn't noticed.

The service tech that delivered my spare tire told me the Rockville SC has been moved to Annapolis.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I got a shop invite August 17 via email, and my guide silently showed up on my account page with no email notice on August 20. After nine days of not getting an introduction from my assigned guide, I initiated contact and requested a phone call to confirm my configuration. I haven't been invited to start the eight steps yet.

For the past month of occasional checking I have seen close to zero R1Ts available from the Shop. Occasionally a spinach omelette would appear. Today there are 25 R1Ts - 7 launch greens, 6 yellow, 3 blue, 2 midnight, 2 glacier, 2 red, 1 silver, 1 limestone, 1 granite. Six are OC. 20 are launch edition!
So what does that look like, the invite to the shop since you didnt get an email to let you know? Does it just show up on the configuration summary page somewhere?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

100% of vehicles, you think the service centers can handle that? They're still ramping up. Massive is relative.
They are only going to replace them once owners have a demonstrated problem. Not every cover is bad.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

So what does that look like, the invite to the shop since you didnt get an email to let you know? Does it just show up on the configuration summary page somewhere?
I got an email for the invite to the Shop. I did not get an email about having a guide assigned, but that shows up under the help interface - the (?) icon.
Sponsored